Sprint Booster for CX-5 Turbo

:
2019 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve
I was wondering if anyone with a GT Reserve or Signature has tried the Sprint Booster. Pedal Commander has a general Mazda product, but Sprint Booster seems to have a couple with them being model/engine specific.

Example:
Sprint Booster
CX-5 (likely non-turbo) has model# SBMA1033S
CX-9 2016+ has model# SBMA0053S

Pedal Commander
All recent CX-5 and CX-9 use model # PC41

I see these devices discussed on many different forums. There's always two camps: one that think the're the best thing since sliced bread, and the other (incl me) who say, why not just push on the 'go' pedal harder? (Which is all the sprint booster devices really do.)

I'll probably get flamed here for that response, but I heartily suggest you just don't bother with these.

I don't know how much those cost (went on the web. There's only one dealer in the US), but I'd spring for an ECU tune and get a broader range of benefits, to include improved mileage.

It's more the reduction in lag I'm after. An ECU tune would be great once I'm out of warranty, but since I also have an extended warranty it would be a large risk vs benefit. There's also no official ECU tuning right now for the Skyactiv 2.5T. I do hear of a possible one from DR Tuning in conjunction with Cork Sport for the CX-9 so the tune might be here sooner then later.

It's more the reduction in lag I'm after. An ECU tune would be great once I'm out of warranty, but since I also have an extended warranty it would be a large risk vs benefit. There's also no official ECU tuning right now for the Skyactiv 2.5T. I do hear of a possible one from DR Tuning in conjunction with Cork Sport for the CX-9 so the tune might be here sooner then later.
Good points.

I'm in the same boat. An ECU is still a couple of [warranty] years away for me.

So what's the cost on the sprint booster? I could not find any details.

I was wondering if anyone with a GT Reserve or Signature has tried the Sprint Booster. Pedal Commander has a general Mazda product, but Sprint Booster seems to have a couple with them being model/engine specific.

Example:
Sprint Booster
CX-5 (likely non-turbo) has model# SBMA1033S
CX-9 2016+ has model# SBMA0053S

Pedal Commander
All recent CX-5 and CX-9 use model # PC41

I bought the Sprint Booster for my 2018 CX-9 and installed it last year. The model number on the box is SBMA1033S, but they may have just modified my unit to work with the CX-9 as they didn't have anything specific to the 2.5T CX-9 at the time.

As far as I can tell, the SBMA1033S will work for all 2017+ CX-5s (not sure about diesel models though).

I see these devices discussed on many different forums. There's always two camps: one that think the're the best thing since sliced bread, and the other (incl me) who say, why not just push on the 'go' pedal harder? (Which is all the sprint booster devices really do.)

I'll probably get flamed here for that response, but I heartily suggest you just don't bother with these.

I'm one of those in the sliced bread camp, lol. With the lack of tuning options and the risk of warranty complications, I decided to try the Sprint Booster out. I think it's more complicated than just pressing the pedal harder. I honestly thought the same as you, so I did a test back in the summer to see if the Sprint Booster actually opens the throttle faster when engaged. At cruising speed (approx. 65-70 km/hr), I "jabbed" the accelerator pedal (sharp acceleration to 80 or 90 km/hr) with the SB off, and then with the SB on. The difference in immediate acceleration mimics what they (SB) try to show using the display in their promo videos. With the SB off, jabbing the pedal results in a slight wind-up before you feel the acceleration. With the SB on, that wind-up is almost gone. The SB does essentially press the pedal harder for you, but during my tests it felt like the lag was minimized (as if the throttle body was controlled by a cable, and not electronically). Here's a vid I took (skip to the 0:17 mark):

In this vid, I think the SB was set to "Race 7".

Good points.

I'm in the same boat. An ECU is still a couple of [warranty] years away for me.

So what's the cost on the sprint booster? I could not find any details.

Priced at $299 USD. I got mine for a little cheaper as they were running a promotion at the time.

I know this thread is Sprint Booster based.. but any feedback on other solutions?

Sport mode car Sprint Booster plug and playhttps://www.aliexpress.com/item/32810661510.html
Auto throttle controller car Sprint booster racing Booster pedalhttps://www.aliexpress.com/item/32810980125.html

Based on the research I did before buying, the Pedal Commander and the Sprint Booster basically work in the same way and install in a similar manner (installed at the accelerator pedal's wiring harness). The main differences between the two are the available features and the controller housings. I can't speak to the Pedal Box (don't know where it is installed), and I wouldn't trust the AliExpress options without some solid reviews from credible sources.

burger motor sports is in the process of making a JB4 and dynotronics tuning is also working on a tune 👍🏻

burger motor sports is in the process of making a JB4 and dynotronics tuning is also working on a tune 👍🏻

I hadn't heard about them confirming a tune in process for the 2.5L Turbo 😮 When did they last mention it?

I have Sprint Booster installed on my '19 GT-R. The mushy throttle response is gone. Absent an actual tune, which we know is not currently available, it's the next best thing.

I have Sprint Booster installed on my '19 GT-R. The mushy throttle response is gone. Absent an actual tune, which we know is not currently available, it's the next best thing.

Can't wait until the snow clears up so I can turn mine back on 🤣

why not just push on the 'go' pedal harder? (Which is all the sprint booster devices really do.)
It's all about the response time. I've never had drive by wire until my CX-9, and I am blown away by the lag time. Even if I press harder and faster, it still lags, and can be dangerous in some instances. I plan on getting one of these devices sometime down the road.

I hade one installed on my Toyota RAV4 V6 2010. Faster to reach throttle wide open. No added HP or Torque. Driving is more fun. Very minimal MPG loss ( just because you will love the zoom zoom feeling). Right now I am trying to get in touch with SB dealer if they have one for a Mazda 3 Turbo Hatch 2021.

So I've had my SB turned off for a month or so. It's been cold, wet and sometimes a little slippery, so I adjusted my driving habits accordingly. This week it warmed up and the roads are dry, so last night, on the way home, I turned the SB back on and set it to "Race 7".

I don't care what anyone says, this thing makes my CX-9 even more fun to drive :D

@sm1ke
You don't like running it race max? Btw I had it on all the time during winter. Only when it's in icy condition that I turned it off.

I actually haven't tried it at Race 9 yet.

I actually haven't tried it at Race 9 yet.

Tried it at Race 9 last night. I feel it's right at the edge of being "too sensitive" for me, haha. Race 7 seems to be my sweet spot. When it rains I keep it at Sport 7, and during winter it's usually off.

Unfortunately I called SB and they said none for the Mazda 3 4th Gen. This would have been a very fun add on on the M3TH.

Back