2016 CX5 DRL recall announced

Well, I did a recall search on my VIN (@ MyMazda) and my 2016.5 doesn't come up. Hmm. I'm at 36,380 miles and things look good yet with the DRLs. But still...

2016 CX5
  • No recall notifications were found for this vehicle.
At the NHTSA site:
0 Unrepaired Recalls associated with this VIN

I wonder if he would have said the same thing to the police if they had told him. He's obviously "entitled" not to have the headlights on as it would infringe his human rights otherwise, blah blah etc etc.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
It’s a thing with Nissan Rogues and Honda Civics. Maybe the usable light coming out of their headlights are useless so they don’t bother turning them on or god knows what. Anyways back to the topic.

This is from the Mazda Recall Information site.

Recall:
DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS (DLR)
Safety Risk:
Due to an inappropriate material specification of the sealing gasket attached to the LED daytime running light (DRL) wiring connector, the gasket can release sulfur which may corrode the LED circuit controlling the DRL. If corrosion of the circuit develops, the circuit may lose continuity, causing flickering and/or failure of DRL illumination. One or both front DRL's on affected vehicles could be affected by this defect.
Repair:
Inspect the headlights and, if needed, replace each with an improved sealing gasket and attach desulfurizing materials (gas adsorption sheets) inside the headlight housing or if the headlights are inoperable, replace the headlight unit(s).

I've had no problems after 47,000 miles and over 4-1/2 years, so it will be interesting to see what they propose to do to mine.

Uhhh.. it tells you right there. If you're on the list but don't have a failure, they replace the gaskets.

This is from the Mazda Recall Information site.

I've had no problems after 47,000 miles and over 4-1/2 years, so it will be interesting to see what they propose to do to mine.
I wonder when these things expire. In other words, do you have to have this problem when the recall is issued? What if it manifests itself a year from now?

I wonder when these things expire. In other words, do you have to have this problem when the recall is issued? What if it manifests itself a year from now?
I don't know. Fortunately, I have a competent dealership that I use and the service manager is a straight shooter, so once the recall is formalized I'll have a talk with him and see what my options are.

Recalls never 'expire'. You know that. The thing is car companies track VIN's anf everything so well, and it seems like they actually know what the real problem is, (although I am still waiting for Yrwie to rage that it isn't this gasket thing) that I am betting they know which models this problem exactly affects.
I would assume if they miss some VINS and this does show up on my (not recalled) car they would do the right thing. Of course, you know what they say about assuming...

7eregrine - curious have you determined if you're VIN comes up for this issue yet? I realize it may be too soon. I see you also have as '16.5 CX5.

I just checked the VIN with my 2016.5 - no recalls found for it either.

If I remember correctly, I believe the 2016.5 had the newer "J" lamp assembly. I believe if your 2016.5 was built in 2016 you are OK. Anything built prior to 2016 might have the problematic lights.

My 2016.5 didn't turn up on the VIN check either, but I have a non-functional DRL showing the typical DRL issue, I called up Mazda Canada and they confirmed that my VIN is included in the recall and they will be sending out mails next month.

Any one having trouble getting the Part? I called 2 dealerships and they say the part is on back order and can't do the work.

Any one having trouble getting the Part? I called 2 dealerships and they say the part is on back order and can't do the work.
I received a Safety Recall Notice from Mazda more than a month ago that COVID has impacted Mazda’s parts supplies for vehicles requiring replacement of headlamp assemblies. Mazda can’t replace LED headlight assemblies if needed for about another 4 to 5 months. The notice says Mazda will send another notice once the LED headlight assemblies are available for the safety recall. In the meantime use your low-beam headlights for your DRLs if you currently have any failed LED DRLs.

Strangely I’ve never received the original Safety Recall Notice before this.

Back