What Auto Braking?

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I tried a test yesterday driving into this plastic storage bin from the front at about 6 kph and the car plowed into it with no braking action. I tried the same test backing into it with same result. I thought the bin would be spotted by the car's sensors. I guess not. I wonder what criteria the car requires to force braking. This makes me doubtful about the efficiency of the system.

Attachments

• 20200211_144839.jpg
    20200211_144839.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 151
Is the bin too low? The possum last night crossing the road got lucky when I drove over it but didnt catch a wheel....CX5 didnt try to brake at all but I attribute that to it being low to the ground.

Probably due to one, or more, of the following:

"SCBS F, SCBS R and Acceleration Control for AT may not function appropriately due a variety of factors, including the shape of the target (some vehicle designs do not reflect radar well and ultrasonic sensors have difficulty detecting objects that are small, thin, low to the ground, etc.), weather conditions (including rain, snow, fog, etc.), and road conditions (repeated or tight curves and/or steep undulations, etc.)."

I thought the bin would be large enough to get the car's attention but obviously not.

I believe there is no auto braking in reverse. I've been in new Lexus vehicles which have this feature linked to the ultrasonic parking sensors, good idea.

The current gen CX uses a camera system and on activsense equipped models, an additional radar sensor built into the front emblem. I've checked out Subaru's system which uses dual cameras, no radar sensor, also performs pretty well.

Last edited:
I believe there is no auto braking in reverse. I've been in new Lexus vehicles which have this feature linked to the ultrasonic parking sensors, good idea.

Maybe it's only the CX-5's with rear sensors, which I believe is only standard on the Signature in the US.

"Smart City Brake System [Reverse] (SCBS R) uses two ultrasonic sensors mounted on the bumper to keep track of obstacles when reversing at low speeds (approximately 2 – 8 km/h). If there is a risk of collision the system applies the brakes automatically, minimizing damage resulting from any impact."

your storage bin is way too low, it needs to be about 42" tall at least,
so the camera and the front sensor can see it. I have done this test with an empty box, works everytime, remember the braking is an emergency maneuver so it won't be smooth.

I tried a test yesterday driving into this plastic storage bin from the front at about 6 kph and the car plowed into it with no braking action. I tried the same test backing into it with same result. I thought the bin would be spotted by the car's sensors. I guess not. I wonder what criteria the car requires to force braking. This makes me doubtful about the efficiency of the system.

"What auto braking?" You ask, well the CX-5 doesn't have auto braking for plastic totes and I would never assume that the lack of plastic tote auto braking indicates there's not vehicle and pedestrian auto braking. And Mazda only provides the latter - auto braking for vehicles and pedestrian.

Proper test use dummy vehicles designed to copy the appearance and radar reflectivity of vehicles and dummy pedestrians designed to replicate a human.

Maybe it's only the CX-5's with rear sensors, which I believe is only standard on the Signature in the US.

"Smart City Brake System [Reverse] (SCBS R) uses two ultrasonic sensors mounted on the bumper to keep track of obstacles when reversing at low speeds (approximately 2 – 8 km/h). If there is a risk of collision the system applies the brakes automatically, minimizing damage resulting from any impact."

Ah, didn't realize it was on the Mazda as well. Good to know. On my CX I use a hitch mounted stainless steel bar to protect against minor accidents.

My CX-5's smart city breaking doesn't work either. I am happy it doesn't work, it must be a heck of a feeling when your car slams to a stop unexpectedly.
Edit: I looked at one of my dash cam videos in which a car cut in front of me, my car did beep so I think it might work after all.
2nd Edit: Rewatching, I hear that my turn signal is on. It was the car in other lane beep. So it doesn't work.

Last edited:
My CX-5's smart city breaking doesn't work either. I am happy it doesn't work, it must be a heck of a feeling when your car slams to a stop unexpectedly.
Edit: I looked at one of my dash cam videos in which a car cut in front of me, my car did beep so I think it might work after all.
I can assure you it does.

so the camera and the front sensor can see it. I have done this test with an empty box, works everytime, remember the braking is an emergency maneuver so it won't be smooth.

Good test! A giant empty cardboard box should work well.

2nd Edit: Rewatching, I hear that my turn signal is on. It was the car in other lane beep. So it doesn't work.
Mine works.

The first week I had the car it saved me from rear-ending another car. (I have not had an accident since 1972.) Damned infotainment system caused it, where changing a radio station requires eyes on a screen and not the road (I miss my presets). It's the only time the SCBS has applied the brakes.

Since then--like others--mine has sounded the alarm a few times when I've approached a turning vehicle (still partially in my lane) a little too quickly for Mamma Mazda.

My 2019 manual lists some of the circumstances under which SCBS not work.
Maybe one of these applies to your situation:

Under the following conditions, the Advanced SCBS system may not operate normally:

>The Advanced SCBS system will not operate if the driver is deliberately performing driving operations (accelerator pedal and steering wheel).
>If there is the possibility of partial contact with a vehicle ahead.
>The vehicle is driven on a slippery road surface such as wet roads or icy or snow-bound roads.
>The braking performance is adversely affected due to cold temperatures or wet brakes.
>The vehicle is driven at the same speed as the vehicle ahead.
>The accelerator pedal is depressed.
>The brake pedal is depressed.
>The steering wheel is being operated.
>The selector lever is being operated.

I don't know what "possibility of partial contact with the vehicle ahead" means. Many of use have commented that our running up on the rear of a vehicle that is turning out of our way has triggered the alarm (but not the brakes.)

Where did you find that citation regarding applying the brakes automatically? I searched my 2019 manual and find nothing that says the car stops automatically. There is no "SCBS R" in my manual or on Mazda's Sig specs pages. I thought we had this discussion here about the Sig lacking the "in reverse" braking feature.

how exactly does this work? Like if you’re pressing the gas down and you’re about to hit a wall or something, even if you’re still pressing the gas it will just auto brake for you?

how exactly does this work? Like if you’re pressing the gas down and you’re about to hit a wall or something, even if you’re still pressing the gas it will just auto brake for you?

Time to find a giant cardboard box to find out.

I posted this in an earlier comment:

Under the following conditions, the Advanced SCBS system may not operate normally:

>The Advanced SCBS system will not operate if the driver is deliberately performing driving operations (accelerator pedal and steering wheel).
>If there is the possibility of partial contact with a vehicle ahead.
>The vehicle is driven on a slippery road surface such as wet roads or icy or snow-bound roads.
>The braking performance is adversely affected due to cold temperatures or wet brakes.
>The vehicle is driven at the same speed as the vehicle ahead.
>The accelerator pedal is depressed.
>The brake pedal is depressed.
>The steering wheel is being operated.
>The selector lever is being operated.

Apparently the system may not (will not?) take over control if the driver is actively interacting.

I had this feature save me from having an accident the first week I had the car. Thank goodness it was turned on. I no longer mess with the infotainment system when other cars are around.

Ok so now I need to know how to fit a giant cardboard box in the car to transport it to a safe place for testing😃.

Mine works.

The first week I had the car it saved me from rear-ending another car. (I have not had an accident since 1972.) Damned infotainment system caused it, where changing a radio station requires eyes on a screen and not the road (I miss my presets). It's the only time the SCBS has applied the brakes.

i hope you know how to set your presets (favorites) now. =) It's imperative, as when connecting CP or AA the radio stops playing, so all you have to do is hit favorites and select radio station.

Back