Are you waiting for a third-generation CX-5?

Bingo! Toyota is upping the bar with the RAV4 Prime. Mazda needs to answer in kind. I don’t plan on getting a new car for years but if I was in the market over the next 2 years, the PHEV 300+ hp RAV4 is a compelling option.

I watched a video on YouTube which talked about the speakers on the 2019 Mazda3 being moved from the front doors to the area just in front of the doors. The new placement resulted in better sound and less road noise. One would assume that Mazda would use the same approach in the CX-5.

They get better sound by taking the speaker out of the door and putting them forward into the kick panels. It also frees up the front door cavity which holds a pressure vessel to detect side impact.

I can see sound being a subjective thing, just read everyones opinions on the Bose system or if it sounds better with Centerpoint on or off!
Does it really sound better aiming the sound towards the floorboards or from the doors? I bet you'll see mixed opinions.

I would like it if they moved the side traffic alert lights from the mirror glass into the interior - where the mirror attaches and the black plastic is now. It's like that on Nissans and it's MUCH more noticeable and useful than being on the mirror glass. One would think that the mirror glass would be cheaper too without the embedded light.

Speaking of new generations..that new Rav4 is having issues with its gas tank not filling up completely.

Speaking of new generations..that new Rav4 is having issues with its gas tank not filling up completely.

sucks too. Some have the issue, others don’t. No fix yet and nobody is 100% sure what the issue even is.

My concern with the next gen is engine choices. Will they still offer the 2.5 T? If not I will likely try and buy a '21 when my lease is up.

If you’re curious about what the CX-5 re-design will look like, in whatever year it happens, drive a CX-30 and imagine it with CX-5 size dimensions and a few more features like power passenger's seat, power folding mirrors (already in the European version), rear USB ports, heated and ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, etc). In the past, the small models of both Mazda and Honda vehicles have seen redesigns first, followed by the larger models the following year.

Last edited:
I would like it if they moved the side traffic alert lights from the mirror glass into the interior - where the mirror attaches and the black plastic is now. It's like that on Nissans and it's MUCH more noticeable and useful than being on the mirror glass. One would think that the mirror glass would be cheaper too without the embedded light.

I would actually hate that, lol. I drove a 2019 QX60 and IMO, it make the car feel cheap (among other things). Embedding the indicator light into the glass is probably a little more expensive, but I find that it's plenty noticeable - I mean, you look in the mirror before a lane change, so it makes sense to have the indicator in the mirror. There's also an indicator on the HUD (if the car has HUD).

At first, in the QX60, I couldn't find the indicator and actually thought it didn't have BSM until I noticed the light. Is Nissan the only manufacturer that does it this way?

I would actually hate that, lol. I drove a 2019 QX60 and IMO, it make the car feel cheap (among other things). Embedding the indicator light into the glass is probably a little more expensive, but I find that it's plenty noticeable - I mean, you look in the mirror before a lane change, so it makes sense to have the indicator in the mirror. There's also an indicator on the HUD (if the car has HUD).

At first, in the QX60, I couldn't find the indicator and actually thought it didn't have BSM until I noticed the light. Is Nissan the only manufacturer that does it this way?
Acura has the blind spot monitor light inside, where the mirror is attached and near the tweeter.
1581345224401.png

That is just the CX-4 from years ago. The 5 needs to get a bit bigger and as much as it pains me to say it, it needs more tech.
just curious, what additional tech would you like to see on the new cx-5? i would like to see that "smart park" feature that hyundai has, that would definitely put a smile on my and my son's face going in and out of the garage, other than that, i'm not sure what more features it needs, just need to upgrade the dang cameras, that's for sure.

I really don't understand the redesign. The old key looks like it's from a luxury vehicle and feels nice, with easy to index buttons.

For me, since i've owned several mazdas and they all had the same keyfobs, a change is a welcome addition to me, I would love to swap mine's out if it was possible. The new key to me feels more premium after driving the new mazda 3 as a loaner. I'm also guessing by having side buttons, it will reduce the accidental pressing of the buttons that many experience with their trunks unintentionally opening.

this is terrible, i've driven the nissan rogue with this, and it's just bad design in my opinion. Thankfully the HUD on the cx-5 shows the BSM.

Bingo! Toyota is upping the bar with the RAV4 Prime. Mazda needs to answer in kind. I don’t plan on getting a new car for years but if I was in the market over the next 2 years, the PHEV 300+ hp RAV4 is a compelling option.

I just got my CX-5 GTR earlier this year, but the RAV4 Prime is the ONE car that has me wondering if I should've waited and checked it out instead. It looks pretty great. The CX-5 is a lot of fun, but the MPG is abysmal.

Back