Upgrading interior lights to LEDs

Vanity lights are the only lights in my wife’s CX-9 that I didn’t upgrade to LED. She didn’t want the white Lights in her mirrors. I suppose if I could find decent warm white led ones, she’d go for it.

Vanity lights are the only lights in my wife’s CX-9 that I didn’t upgrade to LED. She didn’t want the white Lights in her mirrors. I suppose if I could find decent warm white led ones, she’d go for it.

She's the same as me, then. I will not update the interior lights in my 2019, because I prefer the warmth of filament bulbs. I DID try 'warm' color LEDs inside our 2014 back when we got it, but they still aren't as nice as filaments from the warmth perspective, so I won't bother with the new car.

Ever since I ran down my battery after camping for several days (in a previous car) I like led interior lights. Power consumption for all of them is possibly less than one filament bulb.

I get them from Superbright LEDs but CARID has decent bulbs too.

The 2700-2800 K leds are a bit yellow and remind me of a lower watt bulb like a refrigerator bulb. 3000 K LEDs are more like a higher power 100 watt bulb.

5000 and 6000 K LEDs have that pure white or even bluish look but they often have impressive lumen. I prefer the 3000K for the best overall illumination because CRI is better.

I am working on a mod for red LED on one map light. I used a small low lumen 30 degree LED in the right side. It works great for just enough light to see without disturbing outside vision but because the LED is positioned in the left side of the housing there is a sharp cutoff and doesn't illuminate the driver side area very well.

I might add a festoon for a 2nd bulb in the housing or maybe switch the red to the other side.

The 3000K LED in the other map light is brighter than both of the old bulbs together and it has 150 degree dispersion.

Attachments

• 20200204_080448.jpg
    20200204_080448.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 228
A couple of weeks ago I installed LEDs from a set I purchased on Amazon.

I commented in another thread that I got tired of over-researching these (lots of sources cited by other members) so on impulse added those bulbs to an order I was placing for other stuff.

I gotta think it's tough to make a bad choice...they would all be an improvement over the stock incandescent bulbs. The whiteness of the bulbs I installed seem to fill the entire cabin with light way better than the original incandescent bulbs. It's interesting that LEDs are more directional (because incandescent bulbs emit light 360°), but seem to cast fewer shadows.

I just added a second red LED to the right side map light.
I had to shorten the festoon bulb holder about 1/4 inch. I attached two wires and soldered them to the existing bulb holder.
I attached the bulb holder to the map light with a small screw.
I rotated the bulb in its socket 20200204_132754.jpg
20200204_132829.jpg
towards the driver seat. Because the bulb is on the far side and slightly lower than the other bulb it is able to project clear over to the driver side door. It lights up the window control which is what I wanted.

Attachments

• 20200204_132829.jpg
    20200204_132829.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 208
The newer Mazdas have LED interior lighting standard. My understanding is that they’re not “replaceable.”

The newer Mazdas have LED interior lighting standard. My understanding is that they’re not “replaceable.”
I knew that the Sig came with LEDs, but did not realize that they are sealed units. (The 2019 Reserves do not, and with Mazda stripping out options (like standard NAV), I doubt the 2020 Reserves do.)

That's rather odd. But I guess if they don't fail under warranty ("infant mortality") they'll be good for a very long time.

It still strikes me as odd.

I knew that the Sig came with LEDs, but did not realize that they are sealed units. (The 2019 Reserves do not, and with Mazda stripping out options (like standard NAV), I doubt the 2020 Reserves do.)

That's rather odd. But I guess if they don't fail under warranty ("infant mortality") they'll be good for a very long time.

I recently test drove a CX-30, and drove a 2020 Mazda3 loaner. These models represent the design direction of all new Mazdas. The dome/reading and vanity mirror lights on both of those models look to be one piece, with no visible seam to pry it open for servicing the “bulb.” Replacement probably involves replacing the entire light housing. This image is from a CX-30 manual.
Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 11.01.18 AM.png

Huh. Interesting.

Not sure I view it as progress, but I'm an old school guy. I'd ezpecially worry about the exterior stuff, which is exposed to all sorts of harsh conditions.

I can see the state inspection experience. If a turn signal or brake light is out, you can no longer have them put in a new bulb and slap your new sticker on...you gotta go to the dealer.

I wonder if other manufacturers are moving (have moved?) in this direction.

Talk about strange - I sat in a Sig (or maybe a Reserve) at the DC Auto show last week and noticed that the mirror/vanity lights in the sunshades were removed from the sunshade and instead installed in the headliner above the 'shades. Yes, small rectangular LEDs - didn't look removable - but why bother to move them? Weird.

Makes no sense. Sounds like engineers justifying their existence...or maybe marketing folk.

Was that show at the Armory? I lived in NOVA for 45+ years and have been there for tons of events.

LED light fixtures are also becoming the more common type for bathroom fans, lamps, etc. LED "Can" lights are only a few inches deep so that means they can be covered with insulation.

Haha...yes. I rarely, if ever, use my vanity mirrors. Had a date use them once and was not a fan of the harsh white bright LEDs. I stopped replacing them in cars after that. In fairness...they can be blindingly bright!

The only thing I wish this car had, my Accord had a dim LED light that was barely visible at night that illuminated the center console at night.

Talk about strange - I sat in a Sig (or maybe a Reserve) at the DC Auto show last week and noticed that the mirror/vanity lights in the sunshades were removed from the sunshade and instead installed in the headliner above the 'shades. Yes, small rectangular LEDs - didn't look removable - but why bother to move them? Weird.

Maybe to make the wiring easier?

LED light fixtures are also becoming the more common type for bathroom fans, lamps, etc. LED "Can" lights are only a few inches deep so that means they can be covered with insulation.
Not only can you lay insulation on top because they're shallow, they run cool so there's no risk of fire from the trapped heat like incandescents.

Maybe to make the wiring easier?

I could agree with that if the whole range was the same. But lower range models having them in the visors, while more expensive cars have them in the roof? That just reduces economies of scale.

Back