Mazda CX-5 Interior Headliner Color

Hi guys,
I have a 2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring and the interior of the color has been bothering me. The car has black leather seats and and the headliner of the car is white/cream color. It really bothers me and I was wondering if anyone has the same problem and if anyone has find a solution for it. Is there a way to replace it or paint it or a solution to it.

Thanks guys

Hi guys,
I have a 2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring and the interior of the color has been bothering me. The car has black leather seats and and the headliner of the car is white/cream color. It really bothers me and I was wondering if anyone has the same problem and if anyone has find a solution for it. Is there a way to replace it or paint it or a solution to it.

Thanks guys
Source a 2019 Signature headliner from Mazda. It comes with a black headliner.
I like the light headliner with my black leather seats in my 2019 Reserve. Personal preference. That was one of the reasons I bought my Reserve over the Signature.

looks like the headliner is available

you simply have to ensure the headliner is for Signature (black), a quick call should accomplish that pretty easily. be sure to post photos of the replacement :).

Alternatively you could simply dye the lighter headliner to a darker color, I would suggest stopping by a local upholstery shop for a quote.

Personally I would not like a dark headliner. Makes the whole car feel more claustrophobic.
^^^THIS^^^

I test-drove a 2018 Grand Touring with black interior and black headliner, and my immediate impression when I first sat in the thing was "This is a cave!" It was depressing.

looks like the headliner is available

you simply have to ensure the headliner is for Signature (black), a quick call should accomplish that pretty easily. be sure to post photos of the replacement :).

Alternatively you could simply dye the lighter headliner to a darker color, I would suggest stopping by a local upholstery shop for a quote.
Doesn't the Signature also have a unique overhead storage area that the headliner would be fashioned around? I've not sat in one.

Before you make this change, you should find a 2018 with the color combination that you want (black-on-black) and sit in it.

MAZDA has some different or weird color combinations like dark brown seats, black interior and a black headliner. A beautiful light blue exterior but, only offered with a black or dark brown seats. Ed

On another note....I have some very minor stains on the fabric on my A pillar. What might be the best way to clean it??

On another note....I have some very minor stains on the fabric on my A pillar. What might be the best way to clean it??

Depending on the type of stain - I used a regular shout wipe with great success. (Got chocolate out of my headliner - don't ask. :p)

Magic Erasers are also good (depending on the stain)

1580756163428.jpeg

Hi guys,

Thanks guys
2018 CX-5 Touring with “leather seats”???

Personally I would not like a dark headliner. Makes the whole car feel more claustrophobic.
^^^THIS^^^

I test-drove a 2018 Grand Touring with black interior and black headliner, and my immediate impression when I first sat in the thing was "This is a cave!" It was depressing.
Agreed! And I had exactly the same feeling the first time when I sat in a new 2018 CX-9 Signature with all-too-dark interior!

I really like our black headliner. No one has made any mention of feeling closed in. If we ever feel like having some extra light, we just open the sunshade.
Maybe it was a cloudy day out when I did the test drive.
Or maybe having the brown interior rather than all black makes a difference.
It could have been from 15 years of the spacious light grey interior of a 4 door truck.

I know I'm sensitive to that stuff. I once painted a room in my house and it turned out darker than intended. It felt so oppressive that I painted it back the very next day! Burned up an entire weekend for nothing.

Are you sure the headliner was black? None of the CX-5 models we looked at, before the Signature was introduced, had a black headliner. We really like the black and wouldn't want it any other way. :)

Maybe it was a cloudy day out when I did the test drive.
Or maybe having the brown interior rather than all black makes a difference.
It could have been from 15 years of the spacious light grey interior of a 4 door truck.

I know I'm sensitive to that stuff. I once painted a room in my house and it turned out darker than intended. It felt so oppressive that I painted it back the very next day! Burned up an entire weekend for nothing.

This hit close to home for me... wife had me paint the entire living room 3 times in a week. Wasn’t happy. But, she did buy me a bunch of IPAs from treehouse, so I was fine and couldn’t care less if my lines were straight :)

I covered all of it with wainscoting and crown molding anyway.

Are you sure the headliner was black? None of the CX-5 models we looked at, before the Signature was introduced, had a black headliner. We really like the black and wouldn't want it any other way. :)
I'm thinking I'm wrong.

I just went on the Carmax site and found (17) 2018 CX-5 Grand Tourings (the trim I test drove). The headlining in the 10 listings I looked at are white, regardless of paint color (although there were no SCRMs).

Well. The thing felt so dark inside. 😖

Last edited:
The only Black headliner is on the Signature model. The black headliner with the black trim and dark brown seats make the vehicle feel smaller than it is, feels closed in and drab. The doesn't appear to be an upgrade for me. Fortunately; I won't be shopping for a new CX5 for another year or two. Ed

Last edited:
Back