I'm looking for roof rails only

Those look nice.

I got the OEM ones when I bought my car just in case I wanted to put crossbars on top to carry stuff. Not sure I'll ever use them, but I'm neutral on the look...I see cars that have them and I see cars that don't, and can't say that they either add or detract.
Have any pics of yours up close?

I'll take some pics the next time it gets warm enough to wash the car.

I'm way off the paved road...I wash it, make one trip off the compound, and it looks like I've been off-roading...cause I kinda have been.

I get jealous seeing the pics of the shiny cars that are living in suburbia.

Okay, I was out loading firewood and noticed that the roof's not too dirty, so I took pics.

Rails 1.jpg

Rails 2.jpg

Rails 3.jpg

How sturdy are those amazon ones?

Very. As I said before:

They are definitely aluminum and heavy and solid. Well packed and shipped, they are painted in gloss silver paint and they come with all the same fittings etc that the OEM rails do [...]

Though I (obviously) have not compared them side-by-side to the OEM ones, I cannot see they would be any lower in quality than OEM. Again, I'm very pleased. Obviously, this mini-review only applies to the ones I got from Amazon (link in earlier post) and does not apply necessarily to any other aftermarket ones.

Very. As I said before:
So I went out on this sunny but bitterly cold MLK day and installed the Amazon rails. Went off without a hitch. Though, full disclosure, getting some of the mounting screws started was a b****. The "problem" is that the screws that come with the rails are high-chrome stainless, and so are completely non-magnetic. So I had to resort to using pieces of duct(k) tape to hold the screws to the torx driver, and then it was difficult to line them up. Anyway, got them all in in the end and the rest of the install (before and after) was easy-peasy.

Yep, I'd recommend these. Pic below after installation:

View attachment 222362
Question: Did the screws seem to barely catch much? I got maybe a full twist or less and then couldn’t screw anymore.

Disregard my question RedBaron. I used a headlamp to better see where the screws needed to go. Made all the difference...

Do you guys know of any snowboard racks i could mount directly on these rails?

Do you guys know of any snowboard racks i could mount directly on these rails?

I just putzed around on the Thule site.

You can start here with the Mfr/Model of the car, it asks which factory rails you have (there are two styles, or "None"), and then asks which Thule roof rack system you have (there are 4 to choose from, all at $27). Then it recommends the appropriate racks for the number of snowboards you want to carry.

I just putzed around on the Thule site.

You can start here with the Mfr/Model of the car, it asks which factory rails you have (there are two styles, or "None"), and then asks which Thule roof rack system you have (there are 4 to choose from, all at $27). Then it recommends the appropriate racks for the number of snowboards you want to carry.
I meant for the actual ski rack that holds on to the rails so I don’t have to use an extra set of racks. But so far i think i only found one Thule for a crazy amount of money. I believe I’ll have to go the normal way. So far i just ordered the side rails that you posted. Hopefully I have the same good experience.

I meant for the actual ski rack that holds on to the rails so I don’t have to use an extra set of racks. But so far i think i only found one Thule for a crazy amount of money. I believe I’ll have to go the normal way. So far i just ordered the side rails that you posted. Hopefully I have the same good experience.
A crazy amount of money = $290?

I was gonna comment that you got an expensive hobby, there ;)

Sorry, I was out all day so just saw this.

Did you get the aftermarket rails? Or OEM?
Wife went to Mazda and bought me the OEM for my b-day coming up. So now I’m looking at nerf bars or getting my front and rear bumper guard powder coated in chrome to match the other chrome pieces since I didn’t have to spend my money on the roof rails anymore.

I bought OEM via Amazon for my 2019. One thing to note on install, make sure you install bolts vertical as it seems easy to cross thread. I also thought the 30 Torx head bolt was little shallow for the Torx bit so be careful if using a power driver.

Do any rack manufacturers make a way to attach crossbars without using rails like the Mazda rails that are the full length of the roof?

I saw a CX-5 in a parking lot yesterday that appeared to have something like this, four black low-profile upright pieces that were mounted in the channel where the rails normally go. I guess I should have taken a photo, not easy to describe.

Do any rack manufacturers make a way to attach crossbars without using rails like the Mazda rails that are the full length of the roof?

I saw a CX-5 in a parking lot yesterday that appeared to have something like this, four black low-profile upright pieces that were mounted in the channel where the rails normally go. I guess I should have taken a photo, not easy to describe.
I think so. I believe Thule makes a set, but they are pretty expensive - certainly a lot more than aftermarket rails and crossbars. Maybe less than Mazda OEM ones, though.

I bought an aftermarket on ebay for a different vehicle. At first they looked great, but give it 5+ years the plastic/metal will warp a bit. Still usuable but not as pretty.

I bought an aftermarket on ebay for a different vehicle. At first they looked great, but give it 5+ years the plastic/metal will warp a bit. Still usuable but not as pretty.
So a different manufacturer for a different vehicle made of different materials. Your point is?

There are two threaded inserts (at each corner) welded onto the roof in the channels.

You can cut out a section of the black plastic channel cover and use 6M screws to attach about anything you want to the hardpoints.

I bought some OEM style cross bars off ebay for another vehicle several years ago. I ended up reinforcing the plastic end connectors with small metal hardware pieces from Lowe's.

Then I realized I could have made my own cross bars from hardware store stuff because the connection to the roof is the real trick.

Those "tower" mount pieces just have to match the screwholes welded into the channels.

The OEM factory rails allow you to adjust OEM cross bars fore and aft. There are other options.

Back