My one month thoughts and observations on the GTR

Apollothedog

2019 CX-5 GTR
So its been a month and 2000 miles since I brought home my GTR. Originally I wasn't thrilled with the white color but it has since grown on me and I now find it very attractive. My wife absolutely loves the color and has determined that its her favorite out of the other CX5 colors. The parchment interior is amazing and nicer than all of the mainstream brands that i have seen. I think it rivals the premium brands such as Lexus, Acura and Infiniti. For some reason it reminds of the Q5.

I understand that Ford/Nissan/Toyota/Honda do need to cheapen their interiors to make their luxury brands more attractive. For example I did look at the Ford Escape and the Lincoln Corsair both in the same dealer. The two cars are basically the same, but I loved the Corsair's interior and hated the Escape. Since Mazda is in the transition of moving to a premium brand, they don't have this issue and can go all out.

I love the fact the Mazda has added so much value to the cars including the heated rear seats, ventilated seats, the Bose sound system and the HUD. Much of the I-Active functionality is great. The included nav is nice to have since it includes the sign recognition technology and displays the directions on the HUD.

Two of my co-workers drove my car and were amazed at the handling and performance and how nice the CX5 is. One owned the QX50 and the other the NX.

The performance is just fantastic. I can't seem to stop playing with it, though it is taking a toll on the MPG. I haven't had this much fun since I traded in my E46 330i. As I stated in a previous post, when I behave, I do get 30 MPG on my long commute home. Typically I have been averaging 22 MPG.

The quirks are few but bothersome. I hate the rearview camera. It still bothers me that it doesn't have the active guide lines. Also the resolution is absolutely awful. I don't understand why Mazda introduced the new infotainment and rear view camera on the entry level Mazda 3 and not on their best seller. I would love to somehow upgrade the rearview camera to the Mazda 3 version, but not sure if thats possible. The drivers seat does cause my thigh to hurt after a several minutes hoping that will go away upon further break in. The infotainment system is painfully slow upon boot up, but does get better after that. The Honda HUD on the Accord can show directions from Android Auto, why can't Mazda do this? Lane Keeping Assist is basically useless and the blind spot monitoring stays active far too long after passing a car sounding a warning when there is no danger when changing lanes. Where the hell is the remote start?! A panoramic sun roof should be standard on a 36k SUV and would have been a real nice to have.

All in all though, this was a fantastic purchase decision. Mazda got almost all of it right and I would buy it again in a minute.

I'm about 3 weeks behind you in my Red Baron! And I'm just starting my 2nd tank of gas. I have some of the same observations, but I'm still getting used to the car. I am really enjoying the spunkiness of this vehicle.

Hi guys. I'm also 1 month into our new GT w PP. I bought the car for my wife who is a fairly new driver and to me the active display paired to the NAV, coupled with the tight handling were really important. Most the cars now have the lane keep and brake assist. Wife loves the interior, we got deep blue with black. My main irk is the voice recognition on factory NAV sometimes gets the street numbers way wrong, usually have to type places in then save. IDK

We narrowed our choices down to this or a new CRV and after doing the math, the cost was only about 2 grand more for the CX5 versus a 2019 CRV EX. 0.9% vs 2.9% APR over 5 years. The CRV fabric seats were cheap, (the cx30 fabric I saw yesterday looks WAY better), the ride was loud, going over bumps was horrible and just felt like a cheaper vehicle.
Glad we went with Mazda!!

We narrowed our choices down to this or a new CRV and after doing the math, the cost was only about 2 grand more for the CX5 versus a 2019 CRV EX. 0.9% vs 2.9% APR over 5 years. The CRV fabric seats were cheap, (the cx30 fabric I saw yesterday looks WAY better), the ride was loud, going over bumps was horrible and just felt like a cheaper vehicle.
Glad we went with Mazda!!
I have a 2018 CRV EX. It’s also a nice car but not in the same league as the CX5. The interior is not nearly as nice, and it is loud, but it’s roomier then the CX5 and has a better rear view camera, lane keeping assist and blind spot monitoring. You chose well.

Probably in the minority but I am glad the CX5 doesn’t have a panoramic roof. Being in the south I am not looking for more heat in the cabin.
If you are accustomed to driving a car with the backup camera guide lines it takes some getting use to not to have them anymore, kind of annoying.
If my car had remote starting I wouldn’t use it due to the idling/ fuel dilution issue with a turbo direct injection engine so no loss there for me.

Back