Automatic Braking Parameters Question

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I know this has been discussed but I'm still not clear. What are the parameters of the automatic braking system? Specifically how close must you get to a stationary obstacle/person before it activates? And it works front and rear right? Also what is the mph range during which it functions? Has anyone tested the system personally? And what does Mazda say about it's functionality?

I've unintentionally tested it personally.

Keep in mind that I have not had an accident for nearly 50 years...

The first week I had my car I was driving back home from shopping. I was farting around with something on the infotainment system (you know, the one that disables touch-screen while in motion for safety, yet puts all the stuff I used to push a button to do onto a darned computer screen) when the car came to a screeching halt.

♫Beeps♫ were heard.
BRAKE! was seen.
Seats were soiled.

I was going down a 55 MPH road where the traffic is never slow or stopped, and a guy maybe 5 cars ahead of me was waiting for traffic to clear to turn left. I would have run right into the back of the guy in front of me had I not had that feature turned on.

I pay more attention now.

I know this has been discussed but I'm still not clear. What are the parameters of the automatic braking system? Specifically how close must you get to a stationary obstacle/person before it activates? And it works front and rear right? Also what is the mph range during which it functions? Has anyone tested the system personally? And what does Mazda say about it's functionality?

The videos above give you a great idea of how the system works, but for specifics I would refer to the Mazda of Mexico website. It's possible that some features may have slightly different parameters due to the change in region - for example, I believe CX-5s in Mexico and Australia have Lane Centering tech in addition to Lane Departure Warning and Lane Keep Assist, while NA markets do not get Lane Centering tech (at least, not yet). In this case, it seems CX-5s in Mexico get Lane Centering, but they do not get SBS/SCBS. I found this Data Sheet and the SBS/SCBS is not mentioned.

As to what Mazda says, you can use the Live Chat feature on the website to ask questions, or to get the contact information of someone who can provide more detailed information if you need it.

Last edited:
for example, I believe CX-5s in Mexico and Australia have Lane Centering and Lane Departure Warning tech, while NA markets only have Lane Departure Warning tech.

Just to clarify, the CX-5 in NA has Lane-Keep Assist in addition to Lane Departure Warning. (Pg 4-156 in the 2019 manual).

Not certain if you were referring to something different, sm1ke.

Just to clarify, the CX-5 in NA has Lane-Keep Assist in addition to Lane Departure Warning. (Pg 4-156 in the 2019 manual).

Not certain if you were referring to something different, sm1ke.

Thanks AD - I wrote it incorrectly and will fix it now. What I meant was that CX-5s in Mexico and NA markets get Lane Departure Warning (visual indicator on display, beeps from audio system, vibration in steering wheel) and Lane Keep Assist (slight steering wheel correction when crossing a lane line), but Mexico markets also get Lane Centering (slight corrections to the steering wheel are constantly made to assist in keeping the vehicle centered between the lane lines). Sorry for the mixup!

Thanks AD - I wrote it incorrectly and will fix it now. What I meant was that CX-5s in Mexico and NA markets get Lane Departure Warning (visual indicator on display, beeps from audio system, vibration in steering wheel) and Lane Keep Assist (slight steering wheel correction when crossing a lane line), but Mexico markets also get Lane Centering (slight corrections to the steering wheel are constantly made to assist in keeping the vehicle centered between the lane lines). Sorry for the mixup!
Now I'm confused. I just did a little reading and there's something Mazda refers to as Lane Departure Avoidance and Lane Trace. These are on an English (EN) Mazda website under the title of Lane Keep Assist.

The Lane Departure Avoidance feature looks identical to Lane Keep Assist, while Lane Trace looks like the Lane Centering you're referring to. Everything else under the parent page (of Active Safety Technology is identical to my iACTIVSENSE.

Now I'm confused. I just did a little reading and there's something Mazda refers to as Lane Departure Avoidance and Lane Trace. These are on an English (EN) Mazda website under the title of Lane Keep Assist.

The Lane Departure Avoidance feature looks identical to Lane Keep Assist, while Lane Trace looks like the Lane Centering you're referring to. Everything else under the parent page (of Active Safety Technology is identical to my iACTIVSENSE.

The only explanation I can offer is that "mazda.com" is a global Mazda website. It lists all of the features available under the i-Activsense umbrella, but it doesn't specify which markets get specific features. Instead, they leave the region-specific Mazda sites (mazdausa.com, mazda.ca, mazda.mx) to list which features are available in a given region.

The only explanation I can offer is that "mazda.com" is a global Mazda website. It lists all of the features available under the i-Activsense umbrella, but it doesn't specify which markets get specific features. Instead, they leave the region-specific Mazda sites (mazdausa.com, mazda.ca, mazda.mx) to list which features are available in a given region.
Yeh, I keep forgetting to be more careful about those URLs.

I've unintentionally tested it personally.

Keep in mind that I have not had an accident for nearly 50 years...

The first week I had my car I was driving back home from shopping. I was farting around with something on the infotainment system (you know, the one that disables touch-screen while in motion for safety, yet puts all the stuff I used to push a button to do onto a darned computer screen) when the car came to a screeching halt.

♫Beeps♫ were heard.
BRAKE! was seen.
Seats were soiled.

I was going down a 55 MPH road where the traffic is never slow or stopped, and a guy maybe 5 cars ahead of me was waiting for traffic to clear to turn left. I would have run right into the back of the guy in front of me had I not had that feature turned on.

I pay more attention now.

And about two weeks into owning the thing I had an entirely opposite experience caused by the braking system nearly causing me to be rear-ended.

I appreciate your subtle reference to the fact the tech was causing you to be distracted only to be then be 'saved' by more tech. Ahh the irony of it all. Once again, Wall-E comes to mind.

You pay more attention now... and I turn the damn SBC OFF every time I start the car now.

Back