2019 Signature Windshield Replacement - what do I need to know?

:
2019 CX-5 Siganture
My 2019 CX-5 Signature windshield cracked up the center from bottom to top - no impact that I noted, I just watched it climb up the glass as I was out driving last week. It was cold and snowy, and I may have turned on the defroster - can't remember. My local dealer (35 mile drive) doesn't do glass and gave me phone numbers to a local shop and Safelite. The people I spoke with there did not inspire confidence. The local shop said they wouldn't have to recalibrate because they don't disconnect anything - Safelit's phone rep could not tell me the the cost of OEM glass, or whether I could use aftermarket. Of course the broken windshield is on the fancy, new, sub-7K miles member of the fleet - I'd love an excuse to replace the glass on the 15 year old Subaru and 12 year old 4-Runner! I last replaced a windshield 18 years ago, before Heads Up Displays and Sensors took over the world.

So how much should it cost? Is OEM the only option/or just worth it? Should I drive 70 miles to another Mazda dealer? I've read a number of posts about cracked CX-5 glass on older models and it being a weak point - is aftermarket better? I have USAA insurance in California. They work directly with Safelite, but apparently I can go elsewhere, just not sure if it will be more out of pocket. Any experience /suggestion would be much appreciated.

Just FYI the cracked windshield on my former 2016 Jeep Renegade with heated wiper/rain sense was priced at over $800 list price!!!
Go through insurance but insist on OEM (mine gave the the choice of aftermarket or OEM, since I was not paying I went OEM)

2019 Signature also with 8,000 miles...Call the dealer 70 miles away and talk to Service Manager.
As to insurance, it should be covered under Comprehensive and should not raise your premium. I would want OEM glass and would use USAA to handle it. They will be there if you have a problem.
Ask the agent if this claim will increase premium.

2019 Signature also with 8,000 miles...Call the dealer 70 miles away and talk to Service Manager.
As to insurance, it should be covered under Comprehensive and should not raise your premium. I would want OEM glass and would use USAA to handle it. They will be there if you have a problem.
Ask the agent if this claim will increase premium.
Since it is less than a year old insurance should pay to replace it with OEM. I was in similar situation with my Infiniti back in 2017, I had owned it for 6 month. The Infiniti dealer doesn’t install windshield as well and recommended a shop where they send all their customers. I had insurance through GEICO which accommodated my request and offered to pay for OEM glass. I also have full glass coverage with zero deductible so that made the whole incident painless. Knock on wood no issues after 2+ Years of replacing it.
Good luck!

A rock cracked the windshield on my Signature with less than 1,000 miles on the odometer.
I too am with USAA and worked with the local Safelite shop.
They ordered OEM glass from Mazda and installed it a week later.
They didn't disconnect the sensors attached to the bracket on the windshield and no recalibration was needed.
Nearly a year later, no leaks and all remains as new.
Cost to me was a small deductible.

Sounds like I'm not alone - misery loves company. Thanks so much for the advice, everyone. Safelite quoted me $1300 + tax and disposal, and that was not for OEM. The distant dealer will get back to me tomorrow, but they were far more confidence inspiring, rather than just giving me a couple of phone numbers. I'll be out the $500 deductible, and want a quality job, but I don't want the insurance company to get ripped off either.

Back