CX5 Unable to lock car after battery change

Hi guys, run into an issue with a recently acquired 2013 Mazda CX-5. The battery went dead and I replaced it earlier.
After starting the car and running it for a few minutes. I turned the engine off and was unable to lock the car with the remote control, I have also used the spare key and it doesn’t work.

The center console head unit is still lighted up with the clock on. The red key indicator light keeps blinking too (key with exclamation mark).

Would appreciate any suggestions to solve this issue.

Thank you very much.

What I think has happened, is the PARK switch in the transmission shifter is defective. Your car no longer thinks you have the car in PARK, and it will not shut down, causing the battery to run down.

You can try to push the shifter handle forward or sideways against its limits while in PARK, and see if that helps.

Last edited:
What has initially happened is the PARK switch in the transmission shifter is defective. Your car no longer thinks you have the car in PARK, and it will not shut down, causing the battery to run down.

You can try to push the shifter handle forward or sideways against its limits while in PARK, and see if that helps.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will try it out tomorrow morning.

Do you know how much is the park switch and would it be very troublesome to get it replaced?

how do you assume he has a bad transmission shifter? could be his battery was old and needed replaced.
You are correct, there is a bit of assumption here, however it is based on observing the most common no-start issues with the CX-5 (park interlock switch, and Brake pedal switch), and It makes the most logical sense given his current issue.

Thank you so much. I have searched and watched the videos since you mentioned it is the shifter switch and I think it is the main culprit. It helps a lot!
I have had the battery changed a few hours ago and the issue came up, lucky timing I guess? So battery issue is eliminated.
I just got the car so I’m not too familiar with it. I didn’t realise that the radio suppose to turn off when I turn off the ignition too.

This thread reminded me that I had a similar problem with our 2014 a fair while ago. I remember I fixed it, but for the life of me I can't recall if I just replaced the switch, or adjusted it (maybe with a spacer) so it worked consistantly. I have a feeling it was the latter. In any case, it works fine now :)

My 2014 6 had the same problem at 68,000 miles or so. The suggestion to put the shifter in park by holding it to the far right and releasing is spot on. It will snap into place at the left and the dash lights and radio will go off. It’s an easy work-around that will allow the car to lock normally until you get a new switch.

I watched the video about replacing the switch and considered replacing it but my mind was hearing voices telling me to buy a new CX-5. I had the 6 for six years and was looking for a reason to pull the trigger. I did. It cost more the $60 but I don’t have to worry about the car not turning off & draining the battery... and I like driving the CX better.

When I slide my gear selector to Park - I hear a distinctive thunk sound which I don't remember earlier. I have always used parking brake before putting it in Park and removed the Park brake after putting it in gear. It could be one of those issues like the door lock mechanisms which are irritants rather than a real issue. Fingers crossed.

When I slide my gear selector to Park - I hear a distinctive thunk sound which I don't remember earlier. I have always used parking brake before putting it in Park and removed the Park brake after putting it in gear. It could be one of those issues like the door lock mechanisms which are irritants rather than a real issue. Fingers crossed.
That stinks. So what do you think...transmission or electronic parking brake?

I, too, have always used the parking brake to keep tension off of the pawl. I put my foot on the brake before disengaging the parking brake, then I put it into gear.

That stinks. So what do you think...transmission or electronic parking brake?

I, too, have always used the parking brake to keep tension off of the pawl. I put my foot on the brake before disengaging the parking brake, then I put it into gear.
If I have to guess its the park selector switch which has been a failure point. As it is relatively simple to change I will give it a go if it breaks down. At this point no such issues.

Tip: Get a plastic set of trim removal tools. Less likely to scratch/damage, especially compared to prying with a screwdriver.

Handy for many tasks. Inexpensive too:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
I bought a set of those at my local auto parts store a while ago. They're pretty cheap. I just used them Sunday for popping off the interior dome light coves when upgrading to LED bulbs, rather than the "screwdriver wrapped in a clot" recommended in the manual.

As you said, handy for many tasks.

Back