2020 Jan map available...

There's that standards and consistency thing again... all of the what-if scenarios not accounted for in the hierarchy of this one simple thing (NAV registration) prior to deployment. No one ever buys a leftover that's been sitting around, purchases dealer (or self) installed options, or a very new pre-owned vehicle right? Was my SD card installed at the factory since its expiration date is exactly 3 years away from the car's build date? Something else funny going on w/ my particular vehicle's VIN? How would ya know?

There's that standards and consistency thing again... all of the what-if scenarios not accounted for in the hierarchy of this one simple thing (NAV registration) prior to deployment. No one ever buys a leftover that's been sitting around, purchases dealer (or self) installed options, or a very new pre-owned vehicle right? Was my SD card installed at the factory since its expiration date is exactly 3 years away from the car's build date? Something else funny going on w/ my particular vehicle's VIN? How would ya know?
To me it's even more of an issue than "Standards."

This stuff is managed by computer. How can that software treat identical registration events different from each other?

I'm wondering if the policy might not have changed over time, so the applied standard is actually identical for every car of the same model year, but is different for different model years.

Meanwhile, my 10+ year old $100 Garmin nuvi 1450LMT is always up to date...at no charge. ;)
Ha ha so true.
My cheap little 6 year old TomTom has lifetime updates, which I do once a year.
I don't use it locally, but I take it with me whenever I travel and rent a car.
Meanwhile, my Mazda will hit 3 years this fall. I'll have to make sure I update it before it expires.
What does Mazda charge for updates after the 3 years is up? Anyone know?
Cheers.

This stuff is managed by computer. How can that software treat identical registration events different from each other?

Exactly! Computers are, and always have been from inception, nothing more than high-speed idiots programmed by bigger idiots...usually, and, more predominantly these days it would appear.

Given your background, you would have certainly experienced that when the exceptions are not handled properly (ifat all), random events/behavior can and will occur.

I just checked which version of the maps was installed on my SD card and apparently the downloads that I attempted last week didn't "stick" after all. I tried again and this time it worked and I got a message on Mazda Toolbox that the update was successful.
When I bought my CX 5 last May, one of the customer service reps from the dealer came out and sat with me in the car for about 20 minutes before I left. He installed the SD card and then went over a bunch of basic features and settings of not only the Navigation system but other categories to get me started which I really appreciated. My car only had 7 miles on the odometer when I took delivery so I am sure that the SD card had not been installed previously.

For the past few days, I've been trying, without success, to update the maps on my SD card.

Mazda Toolbox recognizes the card, indicates my eligibility for an update, and makes a backup, then when the download process starts, nothing happens. After about five minutes, I get a message saying the download failed and giving possible causes as network issues or SD card errors.

I've been in touch with Mazda support, and per their instructions have done several uninstalls/installs of Toolbox, turned off virus protection and my firewall (scary!) and run the app as an administrator. Same failure every time.

In Windows Task Manager, I can see lots of Ethernet throughput during the supposed download, but no subsequent writing to the SD card. Since the download progress bar in Toolbox never indicates any data being downloaded, I doubt the data coming over the network is even being cached to my hard drive. I've verified the SD slot works using other cards. I can see the Mazda maps card in Windows Explorer. Four files in the "license" folder get updated at each failed attempt to update the card. Otherwise, nothing changes on the card.

My computer is a six-month old Dell desktop with fully-up-to-date Windows 10. Everything else I use the computer for works flawlessly. (I used to have a Windows 7 computer, and successfully updated the SD card with it two or three times.)

Baffling.

The Mazda support guy suggested using a different computer and/or network, but that's not an option for me.

I've sent another request for help to Mazda support.

Assuming they figure this out, I'll pass along any useful information I get.

For the past few days, I've been trying, without success, to update the maps on my SD card.

Mazda Toolbox recognizes the card, indicates my eligibility for an update, and makes a backup, then when the download process starts, nothing happens. After about five minutes, I get a message saying the download failed and giving possible causes as network issues or SD card errors.

I've been in touch with Mazda support, and per their instructions have done several uninstalls/installs of Toolbox, turned off virus protection and my firewall (scary!) and run the app as an administrator. Same failure every time.

In Windows Task Manager, I can see lots of Ethernet throughput during the supposed download, but no subsequent writing to the SD card. Since the download progress bar in Toolbox never indicates any data being downloaded, I doubt the data coming over the network is even being cached to my hard drive. I've verified the SD slot works using other cards. I can see the Mazda maps card in Windows Explorer. Four files in the "license" folder get updated at each failed attempt to update the card. Otherwise, nothing changes on the card.

My computer is a six-month old Dell desktop with fully-up-to-date Windows 10. Everything else I use the computer for works flawlessly. (I used to have a Windows 7 computer, and successfully updated the SD card with it two or three times.)

Baffling.

The Mazda support guy suggested using a different computer and/or network, but that's not an option for me.

I've sent another request for help to Mazda support.

Assuming they figure this out, I'll pass along any useful information I get.
i certainly will talk to the service manager in the dealership, perhaps they might give you a new original SD card. ps. SD cards, USB drives, Hard Drives and other electronic storage medium can go bad at any given time.
good luck talking to the service manager.

Baffling.

That's very interesting. I updated my Nav's SD card at home on an up to date 10 year old Windows 7 Acer laptop. Smooth as silk, no issues. My new Win10 laptop doesn't have an SD card reader.

Last month I upgraded my now several year old Dell Precision Tower 5810 here at work from Win7Pro to Win10Pro and shortly after, the SD card reader started acting flakey reading all 3 of our shop cameras' SD cards. Last week it won't read them at all. Never had an ounce of trouble under Win7. Went over to my co-workers even older Dell Precision Tower that was upgraded to Win10 Pro last month and they don't work in his SD reader either. That said, he never used the reader under Win7 or 10, so hard to say if the upgrade did something or it was already out to lunch. Coincidence?

The car/nav was in a 'power off' state when you ejected the SD card correct? Does the card still function in the nav system after all of these failed attempts? Using a different computer may be the only way for you to confirm whether its the card or the computer. Do you have admin privilege's on the PC under your login? Throwing darts here...

I had the exact same issue updating my SD card over the weekend. I have Xfinity internet service and it turns out they have a new "Advanced Security" feature that blocked the maps download, marking it as a suspicious site. Once I turned off the "Advanced Security" the download worked without issue.

Last month I upgraded my now several year old Dell Precision Tower 5810 here at work from Win7Pro to Win10Pro and shortly after, the SD card reader started acting flakey reading all 3 of our shop cameras' SD cards. Last week it won't read them at all. Never had an ounce of trouble under Win7. Went over to my co-workers even older Dell Precision Tower that was upgraded to Win10 Pro last month and they don't work in his SD reader either. That said, he never used the reader under Win7 or 10, so hard to say if the upgrade did something or it was already out to lunch. Coincidence?

Could well be a driver issue. The card reader may have a driver that is not fully compatible with Win10. If you go to device manager and find out the card reader make/model, you may be able to find an updated driver for it on the web.

I've had a couple of occurrences in the past where old hardware is no longer supported under Win10 and there are no new drivers. In that case I just had to replace that device :(

I would suggest that you simply buy a (cheap) USB plug-in card reader and try that. Less than $10 - and that will work on your new Laptop too!

As I mentioned in my post above, I had multiple attempts at downloading the update fail with a message that there was a problem with my SD card reader or driver. I finally started all over the next day and that time it worked and I got a download successful message. I should probably check my device manager for updates.

I had the exact same issue updating my SD card over the weekend. I have Xfinity internet service and it turns out they have a new "Advanced Security" feature that blocked the maps download, marking it as a suspicious site. Once I turned off the "Advanced Security" the download worked without issue.

xFi (Comcast) Advanced Security turned out to be the culprit.

After reading theisen_4's post, I looked up Advanced Security online, and the information I found on Comcast's site talked about it in the context of Wi-Fi as a feature of the XFi App. Since I never installed that app and am connected to the internet via Ethernet, I mistakenly concluded that Advanced Security didn't apply to my setup.

Among the many, many things I've tried since my last post, I went to the Naviextras website and tried to download the maps from there. (To my surprise, it let me log in with the credentials I use in Mazda Toolbox.) When I clicked the Download button, a warning screen appeared in the browser advising me not to proceed. I took that advice, and made a note of the wording in the warning screen and the URL, which included "safebrowse.io".

Some googling led me to a forum post on Comcast's site explaining that the "safebrowse.io" site is produced by xFi Advanced Security. The post gave instructions for disabling Advanced Security on Comcast's website (not in the XFi app), which I implemented.

After doing that, I was able to download the map update with Mazda Toolbox. (Irritatingly slow, but it eventually completed.) It wasn't necessary to turn off Windows Defender virus protection or Windows firewall. I did the download on a Windows 7 computer that I had resurrected in one of my other attempts to try something else when I wasn't able to do the map update on my new Windows 10 computer. I'm pretty confident the map update will now work on the Windows 10 computer with xFi Advanced Security disabled. I guess I won't know until the next update becomes available, probably this summer.

Huge thanks to theisen_4. I doubt I would have found the solution without your input.

In case anyone needs it, here's the post from Comcast's forum with instructions for disabling Advanced Security:

1: Login to xfinity account.
2: Click the wifi icon on the tool bar. If you hold the mouse over it the tool tip will show Xfinity xFi. (wifi icon is to the left of the phone icon)
3: You should now be at https://internet.xfinity.com/
4: Click on More...you will land here https://internet.xfinity.com/more
[For me, there wasn't a More link to click. I just added /more to the URL. It was also necessary to page through some Comcast screens touting the product]
5: Click on My Services.
6: You will be at xFi Advanced Security...click Disable (or Enable).
7: You will be presented with a toggle button to select enable or disable.
It says to wait about 10 minutes for change to take effect.

The download for my 2018 CX-5 GT completed, but then I received this message after installation began. I tried a couple of times and then decided I would stop rather than risk damaging the card. I don't think that space is the issue (per the Toolbox, Used 5572 MB; Total 15448 MB). I have updated maps before, but this this the first time I've experienced this.

I sent an email to Mazda via the Toolbox, but I may end up asking the dealer as well.
Installation failed.JPG

Wow, I don't know if Comcast was the root cause, or it this was a happy coincidence, but I couldn't resist trying a third time after following Mulligan's instructions to disable xFi Advanced Security. Success! Again, my download seemed to complete earlier, and the failure was during installation. Anyway, I'm happy. :)

Success.JPG

That's interesting. Your error, "Installation failed" is different from what occurred for me ("Download failed") before I disabled xFi Advanced Security, but the explanation, "Possible causes for this could be network issues...," is nearly the same as I saw.

During my failed attempts, there was some download activity occurring per Windows Task Manager, and a tiny bit of write activity to the SD card (four license files), so apparently xFi Advanced Security will let some transmissions from the map site pass, but blocks other transmissions. Sounds like it blocked less of your download than mine, but still blocked something critical to completion of the update.

Glad you were able to complete the update.

Thank god you guys posted this. Spent the last two days scratching my head as to why my SD card wouldn't update, but the Xfinity trick worked perfectly. Thanks guys!

That's interesting. Your error, "Installation failed" is different from what occurred for me ("Download failed") before I disabled xFi Advanced Security, but the explanation, "Possible causes for this could be network issues...," is nearly the same as I saw.

During my failed attempts, there was some download activity occurring per Windows Task Manager, and a tiny bit of write activity to the SD card (four license files), so apparently xFi Advanced Security will let some transmissions from the map site pass, but blocks other transmissions. Sounds like it blocked less of your download than mine, but still blocked something critical to completion of the update.

Glad you were able to complete the update.

Sorry Im old not good on computer where is the chip located. My 2017 cx 5 gt has 1 more month left on the original warrenty . Or shold I just forget about it. Thank you jz

Is the Mazda Toolbox only compatible with Windows? I should update my Nav card since I bought a left over 2018 GT in Jan 2019.

We only have Macs and an old Win7 pc that was infected with malware. I installed Linux in a separate hdd partiton.

When you download the Mazda Toolbox, there’s a choice to get the Windows or OSX versions. My old Windows machine has an SD slot, but it’s not an SDHD slot, so I couldn’t update the card. On the MacBook, it worked just fine (with the Mac version of Toolbox, of course).

Back