2017~2024 Any bolt-in seat upgrades?

I know the seat issue has been beaten to death, and I am also not a fan of the stock seats in our ‘19 touring. Not sure exactly what the issue is, but feel like I’m sitting “on” the seats as opposed to “in” them, if that makes any sense.

Has anyone looked into whether there is a “bolt-in” seat upgrade for the 2nd gen cx5? Perhaps cx-9 front seats share the same mounting & wiring provisions?

I know what you mean. I sat in the Sport, Touring, and Grand Touring. I love the cloth seats in the Sport, but could not really get comfortable in the Touring seats. I sat in them on more than one occasion and it wasn't just a one time thing. Way too much lumbar pressing into my back that isn't adjustable. I would have bought that trim, but instead added most of the features with the activsense package, Carplay module, and a Nav SD card from eBay. With this equipment, it's still about 1,300 less than a Touring AWD. The Grand Touring seats are a little firmer, but I thought they were very comfortable.

Replacement OEM seats would end up costing about 25% of the value of your car. https://www.mazda-parts.com/oem-parts/mazda-seat-assembly-tk4857150d02?c=bD04Jm49U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM= They are very expensive. I'd see if you can find a low profile comfortable seat cushion.

Last edited:
Yeah I sat in a GTR yesterday and the seats did seem more comfortable than our touring. The seats in the cx-9 signature next to it were ALOT more comfortable than our seats. Took a quick look (no measurements) and it seems the seat mounting is very similar if not identical between the two.

If it was determined cx-9 seats could fit, I’d be looking for wrecked cx-9’s to pull seats from. New oem seats are always crazy expensive...hadn’t even thought of going that route.

I would LOVE to know if there is a more comfortable and supportive bolt in replacement.

I’ve added a memory foam cushion and it helps somewhat. However after a while, the foam compresses and my hips are throbbing again because of sitting on top of the hard bolsters.

I’m considering taking the seat out, removing the leather and cutting into the bolsters and replacing with memory foam.

Also, unlikely the foam is different across the trims.

Changing seats can be far more complicated than you might think.

1. Seats are an integral part of a car's safety systems. If your car doesn't fully recognize a replacement seat, in an accident maybe the seat belt pretensioner won't fire or an airbag won't deploy.

2. You don't want to give your insurance company any reason to deny coverage.

3. Even if CX-9 seats are a bolt-in fit in a CX-5, are the wiring harnesses fully compatible? Would the CX-5 computer(s) recognize all the CX-9 power features -- especially if your CX-5 wasn't equipped with those features?

I could go on, but believe me when I say you're opening a can of worms if you try to replace the seats in any new car.

Instead, consider modifying your existing seat exactly the way you want it.

As mentioned above, you can modify your existing seat to better suit you.

But first, live with your stock seats for a while. They might improve over time. Or not. You'll never know if you don't give 'em a chance.

Yes, but it could also be far easier than you’d think as well. Will never know unless attempted.

1.True it’s a safety feature, but it’s also very possible that the seats are easily interchangeable as well. The seat belts/pretensioners are independent of the seats, and long as original belts & buckles are used. For example, I’ve got a fully functional heated/cooled leather driver seat from in Infiniti M45 in my 2008 Dodge work truck using the original dodge seat belt/buckle. I think you could be giving Mazda too much credit here about the car “recognizing” the seat considering the cx-5 memory seats don’t even store mirror settings.

2. very true, but if the seats bolt in and share similar connectors for sensors (very likely Mazda would use a similar sensory system across models), I don’t see a problem

3. Good question...only practical way to figure out is give it a try. Of course that would require finding a cooperating person with a cx-9 that wouldn’t mind wasting an afternoon temporarily swapping seats.

Have lived with the stock seats now for 7 months/23k miles. I think that’s enough time to evaluate how comfortable they are. I will say that they aren’t so horrible that a change is absolutely necessary, but having a more comfortable seat would certainly enhance the driving/ownership experience. And it appears I’m not the only one that feels this way.

Yes, but it could also be far easier than you’d think as well. Will never know unless attempted.

1.True it’s a safety feature, but it’s also very possible that the seats are easily interchangeable as well. The seat belts/pretensioners are independent of the seats, and long as original belts & buckles are used. For example, I’ve got a fully functional heated/cooled leather driver seat from in Infiniti M45 in my 2008 Dodge work truck using the original dodge seat belt/buckle. I think you could be giving Mazda too much credit here about the car “recognizing” the seat considering the cx-5 memory seats don’t even store mirror settings.

2. very true, but if the seats bolt in and share similar connectors for sensors (very likely Mazda would use a similar sensory system across models), I don’t see a problem

3. Good question...only practical way to figure out is give it a try. Of course that would require finding a cooperating person with a cx-9 that wouldn’t mind wasting an afternoon temporarily swapping seats.

Have lived with the stock seats now for 7 months/23k miles. I think that’s enough time to evaluate how comfortable they are. I will say that they aren’t so horrible that a change is absolutely necessary, but having a more comfortable seat would certainly enhance the driving/ownership experience. And it appears I’m not the only one that feels this way.

I bet plenty of CX-5 owners would be interested to know if a CX-9 seat is a simple nuts-and-bolts swap.

And although modifying the existing seats might seem like a better approach from a compatibility standpoint -- and much cheaper too -- there's definitely a learning curve. To get 'em just right will likely involve some trial-and-error. Maybe a LOT of trial-and-error.

My experience with 09 Corvette seats involved so many mis-steps... too embarrassing to review. In the end, I finally modified my existing seats so they were comfortable enough for 12-hour stints during a 6,000-mile cross-country trip.

Tip: Whatever you decide, DO THE PASSENGER SEAT FIRST!!!

I bet plenty of CX-5 owners would be interested to know if a CX-9 seat is a simple nuts-and-bolts swap.

And although modifying the existing seats might seem like a better approach from a compatibility standpoint -- and much cheaper too -- there's definitely a learning curve. To get 'em just right will likely involve some trial-and-error. Maybe a LOT of trial-and-error.

My experience with 09 Corvette seats involved so many mis-steps... too embarrassing to review. In the end, I finally modified my existing seats so they were comfortable enough for 12-hour stints during a 6,000-mile cross-country trip.

Tip: Whatever you decide, DO THE PASSENGER SEAT FIRST!!!
This is why I’m hesitant to pull the seat and start cutting foam, I don’t want to ruin it. For me, i just need at least half of base bolsters removed and replaced with a softer foam. I just don’t know how to go about doing it to keep both sides even and have the leather not look like crap.

My biggest gripe with my CX-5 is probably the comfort of the seats. OP mentioned sitting on rather than in the seat, and I think that's a very apt descriptor. However, after a month of driving they've definitely gotten more comfortable. But if there is a bolt in option that would be more comfortable, I am all ears .

This is why I’m hesitant to pull the seat and start cutting foam, I don’t want to ruin it. For me, i just need at least half of base bolsters removed and replaced with a softer foam. I just don’t know how to go about doing it to keep both sides even and have the leather not look like crap.

1. Talk with an auto upholstery shop. Just make sure they're experienced & knowledgeable.

And resist the urge to tell 'em what to do. That is, let 'em know your problems & concerns, then ask what they recommend.

2. Whether you add new foam or cut the existing foam, you'll have to get under the existing seat cover. That means you'll start by removing the seat. There's a learning curve, and it's kind of a pain in the butt. And even if you're careful, there are lots of risks of damaging the seat and the car. Experience and special tools are helpful.

And removing the seat is just the beginning. Next is the seat cover removal. Then the modifications, then re-cover the seat and re-install.

Repeat until you're satisfied with the modified seat.

3. Nowadays at my age, knowing what I know, I'd rather hire a pro.

4. Or, wait until someone develops a do-it-yourself retrofit kit specifically for the CX-5 seats.

5. Or, just get a Tempur-Pedic seat cushion and call it a day. :)

IMG_0971b.jpg

Memory foam has a soft feel but it is designed to stay compressed.
There is a web site called 'the foam factory" that has good information and custom products.

Memory foam has a soft feel but it is designed to stay compressed.
There is a web site called 'the foam factory" that has good information and custom products.

I'm sitting on that tempurpedic cushion right now. Soft in the sense it easily conforms to my butt.

But at freezing winter temperatures, in an outdoors car that foam is hard as a rock. Butt heat softens it, but that takes some time (about 10 - 15 minutes).

Back