New CX5 Owner - Questions

How old is that CX-5? Even my 2016 CX-5 GT had a camera similar to what you show for the CX-9 with the same red/yellow ladder grid line.
2019 CX5 Signature. I test drove 2 2019 CX5 Sigs and a Reserve. All had the same camera look

Wow! Very surprised at the decreased performance of the 2nd gen CX-5's Camera. I can now see what you are talking about, as it is much worse than my 2016.5.

My 2016.5 CX-5 Matches the appearance of the CX-9 example.

I just returned from a 500 mile round trip driving a friends Mercedes CLC. As soon as we got back
I immediately got in my CX5 GTR to compare while fresh in my mind and I found that I actually like my GTR seats very much. I guess the Mazda seat fits me better than most here (6ft-165 lbs).
The Mercedes was a great smooth and quiet highway car but didn’t feel to me near as much in tune with road feel maneuvering as the GTR. The other observation is that there is no torque steer with the rear biased Mercedes. The GTR isn’t bad but it is detectable.

BRAKE DISTANCE

2019 MODELS ALL ARE AWD

Mazda CX-5 123ft

Nissan Rogue 119ft

Subaru Forrester 117ft

Toyota RAV4 126ft

Chevy Equinox 120 ft

Honda CR_V 118ft

Hyundai Tucson 118ft

Jeep Latitude 125ft

Wow! Very surprised at the decreased performance of the 2nd gen CX-5's Camera. I can now see what you are talking about, as it is much worse than my 2016.5.

My 2016.5 CX-5 Matches the appearance of the CX-9 example.

I see you joined quite a while ago. So what do you think? Is this a camera quality issue, or is it the entire system?

In other words, what do you think the chances are that installing a legacy camera on a 2019 will improve the picture?

I've looked and have failed to find any camera or system specs.

That is a good question. I am not sure, if it would...
My gut tells me it is somehow related to the infotainment ECU and how it converts the video image from the camera to be displayed onto the screen. I think there now 2 different size screens for the CX-5?

My 2019 CX-5 camera looks the same as my 2014 CX-5 and the same as your CX-9 pic.

Your Cx-5 pic looks much worse than either of mine and, as was said earlier, the distance pattern on the pic looks different too. Did you have your CX-5 from new? I'm wondering if a (possible) previous owner swapped out the camera?

In any case, your shouldn't need to risk possible incompatibilities with a CX-9 camera replacement. Just get a new CX-5 one.

Note that the distance pattern is created by the camera, not the head unit. At least when I swapped my 2014 head unit, the distance bars followed the camera.

Last edited:
My 2019 CX-5 camera looks the same as my 2104 CX-5 and the same as your CX-9 pic.

Your Cx-5 pic looks much worse than either of mine and, as was said earlier, the distance pattern on the pic looks different too. Did you have your CX-5 from new? I'm wondering if a (possible) previous owner swapped out the camera?

In any case, your shouldn't need to risk possible incompatibilities with a CX-9 camera replacement. Just get a new CX-5 one.

Note that the distance pattern is created by the camera, not the head unit. At least when I swapped my 2014 head unit, the distance bars followed the camera.

My 2019 camera looks fine, too, like the CX-9 comparison. Not al all grainy like the CX-5 shot. I backed down a curvy 80 ft driveway completely covered in a few inches of snow at night on New Year's eve and had no problems at all navigating just with the rear camera. Daytime and nighttime details on my info screen are just fine. Perhaps there are defective cameras out there or Mazda used different suppliers depending on where the vehicle was manufactured.

Sorry @windsorshane - I just reread the original post and see it's a new 2019 car that's being discussed. You need to go back to your dealer. Do not pass go. Show the salesman the image in your car and ask to compare to other CX-5's. Then when you see the difference, have them swap it out for free.

BRAKE DISTANCE

2019 MODELS ALL ARE AWD

Mazda CX-5 123ft

Nissan Rogue 119ft

Subaru Forrester 117ft

Toyota RAV4 126ft

Chevy Equinox 120 ft

Honda CR_V 118ft

Hyundai Tucson 118ft

Jeep Latitude 125ft
I think the size and quality of the tires has a lot to do with these numbers. What is source?

Sorry @windsorshane - I just reread the original post and see it's a new 2019 car that's being discussed. You need to go back to your dealer. Do not pass go. Show the salesman the image in your car and ask to compare to other CX-5's. Then when you see the difference, have them swap it out for free.
It’s a new 2019 Sig. I test drove 2 other new 2019 CX5 Sigs and a Reserve. All had the same camera look. I also saw a few online and video reviews of the 2019 CX5 Sig and they had my camera and had the same complaint.

My 2019 camera looks fine, too, like the CX-9 comparison. Not al all grainy like the CX-5 shot. I backed down a curvy 80 ft driveway completely covered in a few inches of snow at night on New Year's eve and had no problems at all navigating just with the rear camera. Daytime and nighttime details on my info screen are just fine. Perhaps there are defective cameras out there or Mazda used different suppliers depending on where the vehicle was manufactured.
Could you post a similar shot of your rear camera? I’d like to share it with my dealer. I’d appreciate it.

I think the size and quality of the tires has a lot to do with these numbers. What is source?
I was also gonna ask for the source, mainly because I could not find the data on the mfr websites or on the NHTSA website.

Even though you are correct regarding tires, etc., the published specs are always "as delivered." It's the only fair comparison...assuming that's what his figures are from.

Thought I would chime in on the seats. I'm also a new owner, about 6months, GTR. I'm a 60 year old male, 6-2, 230. So the seat is none to big. Seat comfort on long trips was a concern for me.

After 6months and 2 round trips from Mn to Az, about 6k miles of interstate/hwy driving, my general opinion is they are no better or worse than previous vehicles ( 2016 Tundra, 2009 Camry). Rear end gets sore after about 2 hrs, I start shifting weight from side to side, at around 2.5 to 3hrs we are stopping. Generally have to eat or use the restroom at this time anyway. The wife has yet to complain about the passenger seat. She did have issues with the Tundra passenger seat and used a lumbar cushion which resolved the issue. No cushion needed in the CX5.

A short comment on ventilated seats. Previously I thought they were a complete joke, more about making money for the auto maker(even though I had never owned a vehicle with this option). I was wrong, this is one of our favorite features, keeps me from sweating and makes the long trips much more comfortable.

A short comment on ventilated seats. Previously I thought they were a complete joke, more about making money for the auto maker(even though I had never owned a vehicle with this option). I was wrong, this is one of our favorite features, keeps me from sweating and makes the long trips much more comfortable.
I agree 100%. Who would have thought that drawing air around you rather than blowing it over you could make such a difference?

There's a long list of features I never would have paid separately for that I am now glad to have.

I can not comment on the other things...and have only towed motorcycle trailers with our 2016.5.

As for the poor backup camera, I upgraded the reverse light bulbs to an aftermarket LED lightbulb. BIG IMPROVEMENT!

Are you referring to the backup lights or the lights by the license plate? My cam is good but I have noticed at night it's not the best (but doable). Be interesting to try what you did. What specs, or specific LED bulbs did you get.

Are you referring to the backup lights or the lights by the license plate? My cam is good but I have noticed at night it's not the best (but doable). Be interesting to try what you did. What specs, or specific LED bulbs did you get.
Reverse lights on my 1st gen cx5, swapped to the matching number led bulbs. There are different bulbs for the sub models of lenses used, so forgive me as I don't want to quote a specific part number because of this.

By the way. Found this at a Mazda store. Just says 2016 model but appears to be a way to adjust video quality. Steps are listed and there's a video. Don't remember seeing this but will check my 2016.5 CX-5.

Last edited:
I just returned from a 500 mile round trip driving a friends Mercedes CLC. As soon as we got back
I immediately got in my CX5 GTR to compare while fresh in my mind and I found that I actually like my GTR seats very much. I guess the Mazda seat fits me better than most here (6ft-165 lbs).
The Mercedes was a great smooth and quiet highway car but didn’t feel to me near as much in tune with road feel maneuvering as the GTR. The other observation is that there is no torque steer with the rear biased Mercedes. The GTR isn’t bad but it is detectable.
I'm built similarly and think the 2018 CX-5 GT has the most comfortable seats of any of the 6 or 7 cars I've owned. To me comfort includes being supported and secure, not sinking in. I think some prefer a bean bag, I hate bean bags.

Back