What is wrong with CX-5 Signature?

For the 2020's the NAV and traffic sign recognition will only be standard in the Signature trim. It is my opinion that Mazda did this to help "add value" to the Signature price tag.

And yes, you can still add NAV and TSR by adding the SD card to other trims for 2020.

Wait... you saying that Traffic Sign Recognition is automatically added when you buy/insert a Mazda Nav SD card?

TSR only works with the Heads Up Display. It does require the NAV Card to operate.
For that reason, the NAV card gives you the TSR functionality only on the 2020 Reserve and Signature, and is an extra-cost item on the Reserve.

Mazda's "Build Your Own" website is not clear on this at all and it has gaps in it. For example, you can buy the NAV card as an Accessory on the Sport and Touring trims (to give you the NAV), but it does not show as an available Accessory for the Grand Touring or the Reserve trims. I sent them an email about this on Dec 3, we had some back & forth communications, but it's still not fixed.

Last edited:
I passed on the Sig when I bought my 2019 GTR because I wasn’t interested in most of the additions over the GTR. Didn’t care about 360 degree cameras, nor the one-color choice leather. Would have been interested in the parking sensors, but the premium over the GTR simply wasn’t worth it just for that.

nothing wrong at all, but I went with a GTR because didn't need/want Nappa seats and parking sensors for $2k more. Non turbo was not an option though...no way after driving the turbo.

The GTR is a steal for what you get. The only option I would have liked is the 360 rear view camera on the SIG, but not for $2k. Wonder if Mazda will decide to decontent the GTR somewhat in future years to give the SIG more value. Possibly eliminating the GT package or making it an option on the GTR.

I bought a Sig in June. The extra features were worth it to me. I'm getting older, and have grand children and pets around. I can use all the help I can get driving. I like the interior. I like the cameras. The premium on price may not be worth it to everyone, but it was to me.

My local dealer had only one signature model. I don't even remember the exterior color because once I sat in the car, I decided never to get that interior. Interior with black side trim, dark bown seats, black headliner was a quick turn-off. What in the heck was MAZDA thinking when they choose this color combination. Ed

Just bought a 2019 CX-5 Sig. Machine grey. 1st time owning a Mazda. I leased 328i bmws for the last 6 years. I'm surprised how the CX-5 handles considering the size of it compared to the 328i. I'm on day 2 with my CX-5, I think the interior is great! In my opinion, I like the color and wood trim. It does look black, but in the California sun it blends well with with the black and wood trim. I like how it's just a subtle color. Do you guys know if the leather will get softer? The torque is amazing as well! Since I'm on day 2, I haven't had an concerns.

Bought a Signature and tired of those knocking my choice. Felt that the Reserve was for those unable to afford the upscale Signature with NAPPA leather. My wife loves the NAPPA as she reminds me the feel of the NAPPA reminds her of her $2,500 Gucci handbag. The Signature with NAPPA reminds me of a BMW 7 while the leather in the Reserve reminds me of a Chevy.:cool:

Bought a Signature and tired of those knocking my choice. Felt that the Reserve was for those unable to afford the upscale Signature with NAPPA leather. My wife loves the NAPPA as she reminds me the feel of the NAPPA reminds her of her $2,500 Gucci handbag. The Signature with NAPPA reminds me of a BMW 7 while the leather in the Reserve reminds me of a Chevy.:cool:
i didn’t know the signature leather was different from the other models with leather. I thought the signature leather was just a color difference.

I actually liked the color. I still think the extras were worth the price difference. Clearly, majority of cx-5 owners do not agree though. But that also makes me feel exclusive like the Honda Crosstour owners. ;)

Felt that the Reserve was for those unable to afford the upscale Signature with NAPPA leather.
Not my all. I personally don't like the color of the NAPA leather & don't like the black headliner. My Reserve has the features I wanted & the extras on the Signature were things I didn't care about.

Felt that the Reserve was for those unable to afford the upscale Signature with NAPPA leather.
Well thats pretty insulting. First of all, you have no idea what any of us can or can't afford. We gave our opinions on why we decided to go with the GTR over the Sig. Some like the interior some don't. Some like the additional features and some feel they are unnecessary. It's a matter of taste and preference. The additional $1800 was not a deal breaker for me. Just didn't feel the Sig offered me any must haves. Nobody is knocking your decision. Both are still the Mazda CX5 Turbo with the same power and handling. To me that's was all I wanted. Enjoy your Nappa leather.

Well thats pretty insulting. First of all, you have no idea what any of us can or can't afford. We gave our opinions on why we decided to go with the GTR over the Sig. Some like the interior some don't. Some like the additional features and some feel they are unnecessary. It's a matter of taste and preference. The additional $1800 was not a deal breaker for me. Just didn't feel the Sig offered me any must haves. Nobody is knocking your decision. Both are still the Mazda CX5 Turbo with the same power and handling. To me that's was all I wanted. Enjoy your Nappa leather.

Don't take too much offense. I'm 90% sure CX-FIVER was joking because in the past, people have poked fun at the higher end trims and made assumptions about the people who buy them. I think he's just trolling them back.

The Signature is great and we were looking at that hard. We ended up buying the CX-9 signature instead - which I liked because it had more wood and greater premium feel. But I honestly, in regards to the CX-5, I really liked the GTR as I really liked the Soul Crystal red color with a parchment interior, a combo not available in the Signature. I also find the brown leather in the Mazda 6 to be a little bit better than in the CX-5.

Last edited:
matter of preference, for some $2k is too much for what you're getting on the SIG compared to the GT-R. I like all the bells and whistles and $2k for me was worth the premium over the GT-R model. not to mention we get the snazzy SG badge..haha

It's interesting to read other's comments (in this thread and elsewhere) who felt as though they were sitting in a cave with the CX-5's black headliner. That was my immediate reaction when I first test drove a CX-5 in the summer of 2018, but I'm pretty sensitive to that kind of stuff.

By the time I went back in 2019 test drove a Reserve, I had forgotten about the cave-like feeling. I guess the Reserve had a lighter-color headliner, since I did not notice the claustrophobia when I got in it. I never really thought about the headliner in that initial test drive until reading these comments, or that they color had changed.

Back