Strange bumps (hives) on driver's leather seat 2019 Reserve

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
I just noticed a bunch of strange hive-like bumps in the front panel of my driver's seat. There are also 3 or 4 in the middle panel.

The seat has never been wet. I've never left the window down and I used the sunroof maybe once or twice (and have never left it open). Heck, I carry a microfiber washcloth in the console so if I get in while it's raining, I can give the interior a quick wipe-down. The car has less than 7,000 miles on it.

I've never had a car with leather seats (excepting a '63 Lincoln). I push on these and they feel like deformities in the fabric/leather itself...there's nothing underneath causing the bumps. I cannot smooth them back out. They won't push down. I noticed them a couple of days ago. I'm retired and don't drive every day...they did not self-remove after a couple of days of me not being in the car.

There are none on the passenger seat, but it only gets used about once a week.
Close from back.jpg
Close from side.jpg
From side.jpg

WTF/over?

That is strange. Do you use the heated seat feature much? Would like to hear what the dealer says.

That is strange. Do you use the heated seat feature much? Would like to hear what the dealer says.

I have used the heater twice, and not for an extended period of time. Once the seat wamred up, I turned the heater down. As I said, being retired it's not a daily driver. And it hasn't gotten all that cold where I am in Virginia.

I wonder - does the passenger side seat have the same bumps? Or only the driver side? Have you used any kind of conditioner / cleaner on the leather?

Weird, never seen anything like that before. It looks like a defect in the leather or the padding underneath. See what the dealer says.

Opps, you are right. Didn't catch it at the end.

My vote is to take it to the dealer then.

I know the early Gen 2's had an issue with the leather coming up from the seat. I wonder if this is a variation of that issue of some sort. I'd have the dealer take a look.

I know the early Gen 2's had an issue with the leather coming up from the seat. I wonder if this is a variation of that issue of some sort. I'd have the dealer take a look.

My 2017 had the infamous "bubble" in the center. It was a single large bubble due to lack of support in the padding thus stretching the leather.

I wonder if the padding underneath is irregular (For example there are hard bits in the foam) and therefore translating to the leather.

Edit: Wanted to test out the new edit button. Also: words.

Arcticshade, look out for your ability to edit.

The old system seems to allow you to edit any posts of any age. I doubt this one leaves that door open for 24 hours. Maybe that setting will get tweaked.

At least one of the forums I visit regularly allow you to edit until a person posts after you. Could be five minutes or five days.

To the OP, good luck with getting a fix on your seat.

Those are the ventilated seats in the Signature model, right?

I'm guessing something seeped into some of the perforations and is causing the bumps.

Maybe an incorrect leather conditioner was improperly applied. Maybe during dealer prep? Maybe at a car wash? Maybe by an enthusiastic-but-inexperienced grandson?

Anyway, I'd take the car to a high-end detailing shop and talk with an experienced detailer.

My Advice: Resist the temptation to fix this problem yourself.

Tip: In general, don't spray anything directly on seats, especially perforated leather.

Lots of youtube videos on perforated seats, like these:

Last edited:
Those are the ventilated seats in the Signature model, right?

I'm guessing something seeped into some of the perforations and is causing the bumps.

Maybe an incorrect leather conditioner was improperly applied. Maybe during dealer prep? Maybe at a car wash? Maybe by an enthusiastic-but-inexperienced grandson?

Anyway, I'd take the car to a high-end detailing shop and talk with an experienced detailer.

My Advice: Resist the temptation to fix this problem yourself.

Tip: In general, don't spray anything directly on seats, especially perforated leather.

Thanks, Retired Boomer.
(Great name. Me, too).

I bought the car (a Reserve) in March.

I watched a few of those vids this summer after reading comments here when others asked about caring for these seats. I used Mother's VLR liquid once back in September on the entire interior when I detailed the car for winter. I applied a very small amount on a microfiber cloth and immediately wiped off the excess dampness.

I first noticed the bumps a week or so ago, and now that I think of it, it was after the first (and only) time I used the heated seats. I used the heat on the front passenger seat as well, but not quite as long a time.

None of the bumps are where the vents are; in other words, none of the bumps have a vent hole in them. They are all in between the vent holes. None of the other seats are doing this.

I have my first oil change coming up. I'll have the dealer look at this when I take it in, but I'm not hopeful I'll get any help. As you said, I'm under warranty. No need to mess with it myself, although seeing a detailer to gather data for the dealer conversation is a great suggestion.

I would certainly hope your dealer would respond to an obvious problem with the seat, especially since there are no signs that you did anything to cause it. I still wonder if it’s related the the seat heater.

Took the car into the dealer for service today.

They took pics and sent them to Mazda.

We'll see. At least the dealer did not push back.

What did the dealer say? Do most dealers goodwill things like this out of warranty? So far, I haven't had any issues like this.

The dealer has not called back yet. I assume they have not heard from Mazda. I'll give them a bit of time before calling them.

From reading the accounts of others on this forum, dealers are not likely to "eat the cost" of such things. Any goodwill comes from Mazda via their Customer Service Department.

Some members here tell of receiving Out-of-Warranty accommodations from Mazda Corporate...sometimes sharing the cost, somethings doing the work for free. Some of those members speak of dealers being helpful through that process, while others speak of their dealers almost being a hindrance. But I'm not certain I've read any case of any dealer covering a Mazda issue solely at the dealer's expense.

I was concerned because in certain lighting and on some days, those bumps are not as prominent and are hard to see. The day I took my car in for service was one such day. But my dealer acknowledged the problem, took pics and passed it on to Mazda. So at the very least they are not a hindrance. I get the impression they'll help me out, n spite of the resistance I got when I asked to have my transmission fluid checked.

Last edited:
I will be shocked and disappointed if Mazda does not replace it. If they don't, you will want to contact Mazda Customer Service. You may not hear for awhile as I assume they are all working from home. California is shut down.

I will be shocked and disappointed if Mazda does not replace it. If they don't, you will want to contact Mazda Customer Service. You may not hear for awhile as I assume they are all working from home. California is shut down.
Yeh, I'm not expecting an issue.

I forgot about the virus impact...but I reported the issue over 10 days ago.

No biggie. And Virginia's pretty much closed for business as of yesterday.

Back