Test drove 2019 CX-5. Disappointed

As far as the below 20 degrees turbo issue goes, I could care less even if it*s across the board true. I would not be out romping on it in sub 20 weather anyway. Would most likely be home with my feet in front of a fire and not worrying about the folding mirror issue that has been corrected and possible lost of 2 seconds in my 0 to 60 time.

Cool story, but I paid for a 250hp car with 93, and a 227hp car with 87. Nowhere in the sales literature or info provided by Mazda or my dealer was data on a 150hp car in <20f weather. So its kindof unsat, regardless of your personal behavior or mine or anyone else's.

I would not tout these as cold hard facts until a significant number of owners report the issue. AFAIK, you're one of the few who has experienced either of these issues. You might actually be one of the very few on these boards to experience issues with the power mirrors, though Anchorman did state that it was a known issue in his market. Even then, Anchorman also pointed out the option of upgrading the components that fail to significantly extend the lifespan of the mirror's motors, so if the mirrors do happen to fail, there is an option besides dealer replacement.

Prefacing your statements with "in my experience" acknowledges the possibility of such issues, but doesn't imply that they are true, which is much more accurate to say than making the statement that they absolutely will fail within 20k miles. You make it sound like it's as common as getting your oil changed, when in fact, it probably isn't.

You also state that the car performs like the old 2.0 N/A in the first gen when it goes below 20F. I won't disagree here, but I do take issue with the fact that you're making it a much bigger deal than it needs to be. You're comparing the performance of your AWD car, accelerating at WOT in below freezing temps, to the performance stats of a 2.0L that was tested in ideal conditions. I'm not sure why anyone would think that's a fair comparison, or why anyone would want to accelerate that hard in below freezing conditions. Yes, turbos love cool, dense air, but the drag strip closes when it gets too cold for pretty obvious reasons.

Cool excuse.

It's a problem and needs addressed.

The power loss is total BS. Mazda should really step up and acknowledge it and either offer a reasonable technical explanation or fix it.

Almost as bad as the torture seats.

I live where is might not go above 20 F for weeks at a time so inconsistent power to merge and pass is a big deal.

Folks don*t start driving slow around here just because it*s below freezing.

That would be annoying if the car performs that badly in those temperatures consistently. I would be unhappy as well. Any links to actual test done in those conditions?

That would be annoying if the car performs that badly in those temperatures consistently. I would be unhappy as well. Any links to actual test done in those conditions?

I mean, just personal videos from guys like me, commentary from professional car review channels, that sort of thing, but of course, people who refuse to actually test it don't "feel like they have that issue", so it's something this community seems torn on, but everyone who has put one on a clock that I know of, as well as my local dealership employee who owns a CX9 (and is also one of their higher cert. techs) agrees...

I have a device called "Ultragauge" that connects to the OOBCII computer port under the steering wheel. It can display up to 8 parameters from the ECU including horsepower. It might shed light on what is happening.

Why would you suppose that they would fix it there and not here?

I personally think that's stupid, as well, but I recall Anchorman(?I think?) saying there was a TSB for the upgraded "housing" seal method in other countries, but not in America.

I personally think that's stupid, as well, but I recall Anchorman(?I think?) saying there was a TSB for the upgraded "housing" seal method in other countries, but not in America.

It's so stupid that's it's probably incorrect.

It's so stupid that's it's probably incorrect.

When you're talking about a company that makes turbo vehicles that run like ass in cold weather, NOTHING is too stupid to be beyond them.

0-DF4539-C-F922-42-A6-9-C49-1056-C5272803.png

Cool story, but I paid for a 250hp car with 93, and a 227hp car with 87. ..,

This just caught my attention... We've only run 93 a couple times in a row, back in the Spring for an experiment. Every time since, just 87. We determined we didn't spend much time over 4k RPM, so not worth the extra 70 cents/gal. Our sweet spot is down low, where torque is not impacted by octane. I'm now wondering if using premium is the cause of this "de-tuning" you are experiencing, which we are not.

This just caught my attention... We've only run 93 a couple times in a row, back in the Spring for an experiment. Every time since, just 87. We determined we didn't spend much time over 4k RPM, so not worth the extra 70 cents/gal. Our sweet spot is down low, where torque is not impacted by octane. I'm now wondering if using premium is the cause of this "de-tuning" you are experiencing, which we are not.

I dont see how it could be, but maybe since you dont notice 23hp, you're also not noticing the other when it's gone either? You dont get on it much, and if that's the case, I can see you not noticing it. How long did you determine it took to hit 60mph in sub 20 weather for you?

I dont see how it could be, but maybe since you dont notice 23hp, you're also not noticing the other when it's gone either? You dont get on it much, and if that's the case, I can see you not noticing it. How long did you determine it took to hit 60mph in sub 20 weather for you?

Really, it's more like you're not getting it. You're correct, however, in assuming I don't do 0-60+ runs very often. I've been out of high school for a long time. If that was a priority, I wouldn't have a CX-5.

Back to reality... I do many 0 to ~50 runs, which is just merging into traffic (we've gone over this before). I'm not losing anywhere near the power you're claiming, which I do not doubt. There may be some issue with the tune when running 93, which would not be seen by the majority of owners.

Really, it's more like you're not getting it. You're correct, however, in assuming I don't do 0-60+ runs very often. I've been out of high school for a long time. If that was a priority, I wouldn't have a CX-5.

Back to reality... I do many 0 to ~50 runs, which is just merging into traffic (we've gone over this before). I'm not losing anywhere near the power you're claiming, which I do not doubt. There may be some issue with the tune when running 93, which would not be seen by the majority of owners.

I used to have a 5.0gt. I raced a lot of people with 12-14 second cars. We all agreed my car hit and felt and competed as a mid 13 second car.

I took it to the strip and ran 14.7@99 w/2.15 60' on street tires.

You can feel any way you want about something, but until you got numbers on a clock or dyno, all you gots feelins

Hmmmmm....... If you need a stopwatch to prove there is a performance dropoff, I'm thinking it's not as big a deal as you're making it out to be.........

You can feel any way you want about something, but until you got numbers on a clock or dyno, all you gots feelins

Hmmmmm....... If you need a stopwatch to prove there is a performance dropoff, I'm thinking it's not as big a deal as you're making it out to be.........

For goodness' sake.

-If the guy said "It seems as though..." he'd get beat up for a lack of empirical data.
-The guy gets empirical data and he gets beat up because he actually used a standard measuring device.

What the heck do you want..."One Mississippi, Two Mississippi..."?

For goodness' sake.

-If the guy said "It seems as though..." he'd get beat up for a lack of empirical data.
-The guy gets empirical data and he gets beat up because he actually used a standard measuring device.

What the heck do you want..."One Mississippi, Two Mississippi..."?
Yup, but I work with people for a living, so I understand them, unfortunately. This is just how they do.

Cool story, but I paid for a 250hp car with 93, and a 227hp car with 87. Nowhere in the sales literature or info provided by Mazda or my dealer was data on a 150hp car in <20f weather. So its kindof unsat, regardless of your personal behavior or mine or anyone else's.

Agree.

Back