Sport Mode...Again

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I know there have been many posts about the utility or lack of regarding the Sport Mode setting but I thought I'd add my two cents. To reach home from the city I drive a thirteen kilometer long road up a mountain that has only a couple of short straight stretches the rest being all curves including some hairpins. There is a lot of downshifting, third to second as you slow before a curve then accelerate out of it. I've been experimenting between Sport and Standard Modes on that drive and my seat of the pants impression is that Sport Mode is definitely more responsive and downshifts quicker under those conditions than Standard.

Granted it could be my imagination.

I had a drive up in the NC mountains recently on a very twisty steep two lane with hairpins. There were only a few cars on the road and it also had some sections of pull over lanes for slow traffic. It made for a nice spirited drive up the mountain. Most of the time I stayed in std shift and was very impressed with the lack of gear hunting and being in the right gear when needed. I did have to keep in mind it*s an suv :)

Here is part of the road, (not my video:))
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0LvT91EIVQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Up- and down-shift points are all at higher RPM*s in sport mode, which means it will stay in any gear longer before upshifting, and will downshift a little sooner. Also, because the engine is always revving higher, it will definitely feel more responsive. So no, it*s not just your imagination.

It feels to me like it also keeps the torque converter locked. Can anyone confirm that?

Thank you for the confirmation Danny. I'm just going to make it a habit to switch to Sport Mode when I start up the mountain.

From Mazda:
"Now that Sport Mode is on, what does it do for your vehicle? Sport Mode adjusts the transmission shift and engine throttle controls to deliver what could be described as a sportier driving experience. You can hit the Sport Mode button again to turn it off when it is no longer needed. The mode will also cancel automatically when the ignition is turned off.

What Does Sport Mode Do On a Mazda how to use mazda sport mode advantages to using mazda sport modeADVANTAGES TO USING MAZDA SPORT MODE
By default, Mazda SKYACTIV engines are impressively fuel efficient. They have an ideal balance of power and efficiency. By selecting Sport Mode, you opt for a more engaging driving experience, which means more fuel consumption due to higher engine speeds. The trade off is enhanced accelerator pedal sensitivity and the provision of quick acceleration for merging, changing lanes or passing other vehicles.

Most drivers will not want to use Sport Mode all the time, and it is recommended that it remains turned off for normal driving situations. Furthermore, you should avoid using Sport Mode in slippery or wet conditions."

In short:
"Sport Mode adjusts the transmission shift and engine throttle controls"

All I know is that the 2019 GT loaner I had felt sluggish as hell when starting from a stop unless I put it in sport mode.

You'de probably be ok if they called it sluggish mode. What is it, eco mode?

Also I wish the switch were on the steering wheel or some where more readily at hand. When I'm about to launch into passing a long tractor trailer and scanning the on coming lane ahead I don't want to have to look down on the console to find the switch.

Also I wish the switch were on the steering wheel or some where more readily at hand. When I'm about to launch into passing a long tractor trailer and scanning the on coming lane ahead I don't want to have to look down on the console to find the switch.

Just stomp on it.

The 2020 has the paddle shifter on the steering wheel.

"Upon entering the SUV, the driver can feel even more connected to the CX-5 with new paddle shifters."

Correct..its not your imagination- it definitely does something I just don't feel it does anything of real value and to me its trying too hard, throttle is over-sensitive and shift points not responsive to very light throttle applications. I do use it on occasion but when I do its in M mode, all the time. More often its in M mode 'normal' and I just hit the gas harder to accomplish the same:)

Last edited:
The transmission will detect a demand for more aggressive driving so using full throttle will cause it to hold low gears for longer. Once it detects a return to sedate driving it will drop back to eco mode. It works extremely well.

As mentioned above I like the "always on" feel of sport mode when climbing my mountain road. When traveling on a level two lane highway and wanting to pass a tractor trailer I do indeed "just stomp on it" not bothering with sport mode.

I know there have been many posts about the utility or lack of regarding the Sport Mode setting but I thought I'd add my two cents. To reach home from the city I drive a thirteen kilometer long road up a mountain that has only a couple of short straight stretches the rest being all curves including some hairpins. There is a lot of downshifting, third to second as you slow before a curve then accelerate out of it. I've been experimenting between Sport and Standard Modes on that drive and my seat of the pants impression is that Sport Mode is definitely more responsive and downshifts quicker under those conditions than Standard.

Granted it could be my imagination.
It is my opinion that Sport Mode may well increase shift speed in these models. I'd be very curious to see what someone like Dave Coleman said about that.

Back