Winter is here and my CX-5 turbo is now a 2.0L!

I just wish you WOULD contribute. Please. Give us some data.

Also, you are insinuating that I am a moron because I had to put it on the timer to quantifiable "notice it". So don't play high all mighty all snuffling 'bout "don't insult me!!!!".

So please, why don't you...contribute. Let's actually SEE what your vehicle is doing/not doing. Not just what your feelings claim. Lots of people claim their car feels super fast with a K&N filter added, lol!

Maybe you can talk more smack about how smart you are AFTER you prove that you know what you're talking about, yeah?

Hello! Why are you ignoring the one person that actually DID give you visual data? LINK

Also, what made YOU decide to time your run? Do you just do this all the time for fun, or did you suspect something was up? Are you stating you're more aware of things like this than me? (rlaugh)

Hello! Why are you ignoring the one person that actually DID give you visual data? LINK

Also, what made YOU decide to time your run? Do you just do this all the time for fun, or did you suspect something was up? Are you stating you're more aware of things like this than me? (rlaugh)

Yeah, do people really do 0-60 runs with these cars on a routine basis?

Well, if youre here long enough, you should have seen Unobtanium has also done 0-60 video for his previous 2015 CX-5 before.

So is this good or bad?

I was just in the New England area and although it never got colder than 23F, the car felt fine. However, I don't do 0-60 runs and I don't floor it for the heck of it. Driving on the highway and passing cars felt the exact same as always. What I did notice in my time up there was that my gas mileage was about the same as it is down south - which honestly surprised me. In the past, with my CX-5 NA, my mileage would always be worse in the cold and with winter gas.

At 21*F my CX5 GTR literally turned the same acceleration as in normal weather. At 19*F, 10+ seconds to 60. It was on/off switch.

It was cold AF outside and any turbo car I've ever known of LOVES cold weather. I was hoping for some impressive 0-60 vids, and what I got was absolute dogs***. I noticed it after putting it on the timer/watching the vid and wondering WTF!?

No, I'm not ignoring the post. It corroborates what I'm saying, but it was with a CX9, which I presume has at least SOME difference in tune, because if it decreased power to the level the CX5 GTR does in my case, it would be absolutely insanely slow given its additional weight.

I used to street race. A lot. I raced cars a full second_+ faster than mine (actual drag strip times), and hung with/beat them on the street, as well as lost a few to cars way slower than mine. The funny thing was, when I ACTUALLY took my stuff to the strip and put it on the clock, I was shocked at what it actually ran. Sometimes good ways, sometimes bad ways. My 5.0 GT actually felt stoopid fast...while it's slower in the real world (ET, not trap speed) than the CX5 GT-R in magazine times at the strip. Sure as hell feels a lot faster, though! My LS1 car? Super broad torque curve, V8, 3rd gear was an absolute monster. Crushed NXS's with that car, stock. Totally didn't "feel" fast in 3rd though due to the super linear acceleration.

What I am saying is that I learned a long time ago that the seat of your pants is worthless for actually quantifying something.

The same thing applies to all these guys who have super accurate hunting rifles but never seem to post any 10 shot groups. Put that crap on paper, and 9x out of 10, it's a 2-3moa gun/ammo/shooter combo.

Data>Educated Opinions>Feelings.

Last edited:
This is fine because my wife complains the car is too fast and gets away from her. I see a speeding ticket in her future.

At 21*F my CX5 GTR literally turned the same acceleration as in normal weather. At 19*F, 10+ seconds to 60. It was on/off switch.

So this (obviously) means it is not a programming feature intended to enhance safety safety.

If it was, the threshold would be closer to freezing (32*F).

This is fine because my wife complains the car is too fast and gets away from her. I see a speeding ticket in her future.

Judge: "So does the defendant have anything to say in her own defense?"
Mrs. wlong01: "Yes, Sir, I do."

Judge: "And what might that be?"
Mrs. wlong01: "Zoom-Zoom, your honor. Just Zoom-Zoom." *sobs*

So is this good or bad?

It doesn't mean anything until I perform the same test, in the same conditions, but at a colder temperature, which would be -7c (19.4F) or colder. Once I've filmed that test, I'll post it so everyone can see the results for themselves. So far everything else appears to either be anecdotal, or a fair comparison hasn't been documented and posted here.

Even with this testing, this would likely only apply to the CX-9 as there are likely differences in tuning between this car and the CX-5. For all we know, the CX-5 is tuned to pull power because the lighter car paired with the OEM tires would result in the TCS kicking in way too often. Here's a question - does the Reserve/Signature come with the same tires as the GT/Touring/Sport (in the same wheel size)?

Last edited:
Here's a question - does the Reserve/Signature come with the same tires as the GT/Touring/Sport (in the same wheel size)?

I deleted my prior reply...sorry for the confusion if you got an email with bad data.

The Build Your Own feature on the MAZDAUSA website shows this:

Sport, Touring: 17" aluminum-alloy wheels with Gray Metallic finish with P225/65 R17 all-season tires
Grand Touring, Reserve, Signature: 19" aluminum-alloy wheels with Brilliant Silver finish and P225/55 R19 all-season tires

Grand Touring, Reserve, Signature: 19" aluminum-alloy wheels with Brilliant Silver finish and P225/55 R19 all-season tires

Thanks for that. There's a spreadsheet in this subforum that goes over possible tire sizes, but it doesn't list the actual brand/model of tire. The reason I asked is because its possible that Mazda used a different tire on the GT compared to the tire used on the GT Reserve and the Signature. I'm trying to find out whether or not they are using a specific tire with the turbo models to offset potential wheel spin/grip issues that may have arisen from using the GT tires. If they are in fact using the same tires across the board, that could be a potential reason for detuning the turbo in colder weather (because they're using tires that were paired with the N/A version of the CX-5). The CX-9 came with either Bridgestone tires or Falken tires, but I believe it may have been based on region, and not trim level (since all trims of the 2nd gen have the 2.5T).

Thanks. The difference in acceleration from 2500 RPM to 5500 RPM is pretty telling, in your case. Would be great if others could also perform this test so we have more hard data to work with.

Last edited:
Would it be the intake air sensor or ambient air sensor that makes the ecu effect cold performance?

Back