Winter is here and my CX-5 turbo is now a 2.0L!

The issue then seemed to be "variable power delivery", punch it one time and it works, punch it the next and it doesn't.

That thread came to mind as I was reading this one.

As I recall, there were discussions that "all turbos degrade in boost with each subsequent use." Lots of BS Flags were thrown. I tried locating any support for such phenomenon on the web but could find nothing.

Last edited:
Do those of you noticing the problem have AWD or FWD? Since outside temp is one of the sensors the AWD system takes into account, that may be a factor

As Sig said, turbos only come with AWD. But the subject of cold weather AWD behaviour has been discussed earlier in the thread and is still a possible causal issue. If there is a software fix to be had, I'd prefer an AWD system tweak than an adjustment that might increase the possibility of oil dilution.

Makes me wonder if turning off the TCS would have any effect on the problem. It detects physical wheel slippage, but I wonder if it also has a temperature-influenced component to it.

Last edited:
All we have so far is a lot of talking. If one is so concerned with the performance of the car, they should test the car to see if it exhibits the behaviour and record it for posterity.

I had done my own testing earlier in this thread and realized afterwards that my testing was not ideal. I think the best test to determine if there is an actual power loss would be to test WOT acceleration while at a cruising speed in temps above 20F, then again in temps below 20F. Get the car to 25mph, then go WOT and see how long it takes to get to 50 or 60. Repeat in warmer/colder weather and compare. A test like this would mimic real-world operation (highway merge) while a 0-60 acceleration test would not.

I did 0-60 runs back to back over the course of about 2 minutes and recorded them. Seems it was 20-21*F in one, and 19*F in the next...weather was perfect for it. 3 second difference.

I dont think I am. The 2.0 had a 0-60 of around 9-10 seconds, didnt it?

I started the thread to draw awareness to the issue. You dont care/refuse to believe that yours is like all the rest/wont empirically verify one way nor the other, so...maybe this thread isnt for you, specifically?

I'm not some moron that wouldn't notice something like you're experiencing, so please stop insinuating that. My wife's prior daily could not get out of its own way, but even that was not a 10 sec 0-60 vehicle, closer to mid 8 sec's. So, I know from experience what pulling out into traffic with that limitation is like. That is not the case with "our" CX-5 in any temp.

What did you respond with to sm1ke's 0-60 run in his CX-9 when it was below 20f? LINK

Also, you're entitled to your opinion, but not telling others what threads they can contribute in.

As Sig said, turbos only come with AWD. But the subject of cold weather AWD contribution has been discussed earlier in the thread and is still a possible causal issue. If there is a software fix to be had, I'd prefer an AWD system tweak than an adjustment that might increase the possibility of oil dilution.

I wonder if the Mazda 6 with the 2.5T (it's only FWD) has the issue?

I wonder if the Mazda 6 with the 2.5T (it's only FWD) has the issue?

A good question. If it doesn't, it would point to the i-Activ AWD and related tuning as the culprit, right? I wonder if anyone out there with a FWD 2nd gen CX-9 has noticed anything?

I did 0-60 runs back to back over the course of about 2 minutes and recorded them. Seems it was 20-21*F in one, and 19*F in the next...weather was perfect for it. 3 second difference.

I personally would appreciate it if you could upload those videos so I could see the results for myself. Video footage that has some views on YouTube would also give you more leverage against Mazda than a phone call or a strongly-worded letter/email.

IMO, a slightly slower 0-60 time is still something to take note of, but it is much less important than WOT acceleration from cruising speed. I can't think of any reason I'd want to go WOT from a complete stop when it's below freezing (ice/snow could be on the road, tires will have less traction, surrounding traffic would generally be slower).

Last edited:
2018 CX-9 AWD, outside temps at 2c (36F). TCS off, engine cold.

Here's a general idea of what the road looked like.

attachment.php

Not dry, but not really wet either.

Attachments

• IMG_20191116_110120.jpg
    IMG_20191116_110120.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 659
That kind of a nanny feature would be unprecedented, I*d think. Also, it would be ridiculous considering were talking about a car that doesn*t even have 300 HP.

Two good points.

The reason why I think it is because of the possible slippery conditions in the cold and not oil diffusion is, in the cold the turbo starts at 55 mph. Even at 55 mph there would be oil diffusion from the turbo if that was a thing. When it is warm you can hear the turbo from 7 mph, in the cold you can hear it at 55 mph.

Turbo whine at 7 mph

Turbo whine at 55 mph

I'm not some moron that wouldn't notice something like you're experiencing, so please stop insinuating that. My wife's prior daily could not get out of its own way, but even that was not a 10 sec 0-60 vehicle, closer to mid 8 sec's. So, I know from experience what pulling out into traffic with that limitation is like. That is not the case with "our" CX-5 in any temp.

What did you respond with to sm1ke's 0-60 run in his CX-9 when it was below 20f? LINK

Also, you're entitled to your opinion, but not telling others what threads they can contribute in.

I just wish you WOULD contribute. Please. Give us some data.

Also, you are insinuating that I am a moron because I had to put it on the timer to quantifiable "notice it". So don't play high all mighty all snuffling 'bout "don't insult me!!!!".

So please, why don't you...contribute. Let's actually SEE what your vehicle is doing/not doing. Not just what your feelings claim. Lots of people claim their car feels super fast with a K&N filter added, lol!

Maybe you can talk more smack about how smart you are AFTER you prove that you know what you're talking about, yeah?

Last edited:
The reason why I think it is because of the possible slippery conditions in the cold and not oil diffusion is, in the cold the turbo starts at 55 mph. Even at 55 mph there would be oil diffusion from the turbo if that was a thing. When it is warm you can hear the turbo from 7 mph, in the cold you can hear it at 55 mph.

Turbo whine at 7 mph

Turbo whine at 55 mph

Thing is, I tried to punch it in the grass. It would happily spin and illuminate the TC light. Also, I cannot fathom it being a 21 vs 19*f thing. If it was TC related, I'd expect more "gradual" behavior reacting to spin I could not sense. My 370Z would do that. It also showed the TC light when it was working its magic. I do not know for sure why it does this, but look at t he MPG instant read-out in both videos. You will note that the mpg is much higher in the cold b ecause it is pulling boost/doesn't need as much fuel. The whole run.

You could try removing the DSC 50a fuse to figure out if this is a TCM limitation or ecu tune limitation. If nothing changes then wheel speed has nothing to do with it and it's all tuning.

Honestly it may not even have to do with wheel slip, but could be from temperature and pressure or something. Then wether its controlled by the TCM or the ECU is a question.

Honestly it may not even have to do with wheel slip, but could be from temperature and pressure or something. Then wether its controlled by the TCM or the ECU is a question.

I'm going to just lean hard on Mazda. It's not my place to fix their product. I'm the customer. Not a free engineer or product evaluator. They dont pay me a dime. So I'm confident an issue is occurring, as I've quantified it, and now I'm going to lean on them to offer resolution by way of fixing it, or explaining why it just be so.

I'm going to just lean hard on Mazda. It's not my place to fix their product. I'm the customer. Not a free engineer or product evaluator. They dont pay me a dime. So I'm confident an issue is occurring, as I've quantified it, and now I'm going to lean on them to offer resolution by way of fixing it, or explaining why it just be so.

Oh no, surely you*re not going to end up with a diesel????

2018 CX-9 AWD, outside temps at 2c (36F). TCS off, engine cold.

Here's a general idea of what the road looked like.

attachment.php

Not dry, but not really wet either.

So is this good or bad?

I was just in the New England area and although it never got colder than 23F, the car felt fine. However, I don't do 0-60 runs and I don't floor it for the heck of it. Driving on the highway and passing cars felt the exact same as always. What I did notice in my time up there was that my gas mileage was about the same as it is down south - which honestly surprised me. In the past, with my CX-5 NA, my mileage would always be worse in the cold and with winter gas.

Back