Very faint high pitched "mosquito" sound

Be patient. In my experience the buzzing noise totally goes away after about 5k mi. I believe it's injector or fuel pump related but cures itself after break in.

Be patient. In my experience the buzzing noise totally goes away after about 5k mi. I believe it's injector or fuel pump related but cures itself after break in.

Thanks davefr, I I havn't drive that much yet. We will see if it can fix itself after break in.

Yes, I do. I have a 2019 CX-5 Turbo and what I assume is a turbo whine also gets much louder in the 80-90 km/hr (50-60 mph) range only. Personaly find it quite annoying while driving on 80 km/hr city roads and highways. Basically have to drive under the speed limit or over (90+) to stop from hearing the whine. Brought the issue up at my first service and was told all CX-5 Turbo's do this without any explanation as to why the noise is so much louder only in that speed range. My second service is due and will bring up the issue again because it really does not seem normal to me.

I bring up the issue to dealer and the technician catch the noise and believe it's normal for turbo engine....

So i have this exact same issue with my cx-5 sg, at first i thought it had something to do with my dashcam install, like some electrical feedback, but it's definitely not coming from the speakers,
I posted it in the engine section of the forum, is there a solution?
i'm at 4500miles, does it resolve itself as davefr suggests?

thanks

I had this problem a while ago and it went away slowly.

However, as the weather is getting much colder now, the problem is coming back.

I actually feel like it's louder than it was previously.

Possibly something to do with the cold weather?

Nonetheless, I'll probably finally take it into the dealership and have them look at it.

It's really loud now.

I had this problem a while ago and it went away slowly.

However, as the weather is getting much colder now, the problem is coming back.

I actually feel like it's louder than it was previously.

Possibly something to do with the cold weather?

Nonetheless, I'll probably finally take it into the dealership and have them look at it.

It's really loud now.

Make certain to record it so as to avoid the "Cannot Duplicate" boogeyman.

I believe that both of those noises are coming from the serpentine belt. To test it, while the engine is idling, trickle a small amount of warm water onto the belt and it will go silent for a few seconds until it dries out. The belt should quieten down when it gets hot and more supple.

I'd try Anchorman's test to see if the belt is the culprit.

Another 2019 GTR owner. The car has ~150 miles. Same cricket noise problem, between 1500 - 3000 rpm, practically unnoticeable when idle. The weather is not very cold, somewhere around 40. I hope it'll disappear with mileage. Do more than one people confirm it disappears over time?

And I believe I've heard the same noise test driving some CX-5 back in 2013 (2.5L) when there was no turbo.

Last edited:
On my 2018 touring I had a faint whistling noise when under load going around 60-75mph. Never heard it when idle and don*t have a turbo. Dealer tried to say it was wind noise, but I don*t believe it. It*s kind of hard to hear but when my radio is off I notice it. It*s kind of like a high pitch winding noise

2019 GT-R here, 21K here (2nd winter). I just started noticing this in the Fall, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with temperature.

My observations: As soon as you tip the throttle in above idle and release it, the "mosquito" buzzes for a few seconds, regardless of whether you are sitting still. My hearing is barely good enough to hear it on a quiet road when coasting at 20-30 mph with no music on, so I haven't tested whether the mosquito buzz is present anytime the throttle is above idle. I can hear it easily when sitting still - just hold the brake and tap the throttle on and off, and see if you hear it, too.

I *suspect* this is something to do with the engine controls, and *could* be a high frequency PWM (pulse width modulated) solenoid driver in the e-Throttle-pedal, or the PCM (if the noise is in fact coming from inside the cabin), or you are perhaps hearing the solenoid or a stepper motor transmitting from the engine bay. I don't believe this is the type of noise to come from the fuel injectors themselves, but more likely something to do with emissions (EGR solenoid), or the throttle control motor and/or idle air control (I am not familiar enough with the Skactiv-D architecture to know what sensors and actuators it has). Or perhaps it has to do with turbocharger control.

Mine is barely audible (for me), but I do believe I would have noticed it before. One test would be to try it with the hood open and an observer standing by.

Although I spent former and current lives as a technician and engineer, including a few years with EFI, I am at least 10 years obsolete and not an expert on the GT-R's arhictecture at all. However, I'm fairly confident the noise is associated with the engine controls and some electrical actuator associated with it. I don't believe it has anything to do with alternator noise, the speakers, chargers, etc. This assumes all of us in the trhead are talking about the same noise in the first place!

2019 GT-R here, 21K here (2nd winter). I just started noticing this in the Fall, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with temperature.

My observations: As soon as you tip the throttle in above idle and release it, the "mosquito" buzzes for a few seconds, regardless of whether you are sitting still. My hearing is barely good enough to hear it on a quiet road when coasting at 20-30 mph with no music on, so I haven't tested whether the mosquito buzz is present anytime the throttle is above idle. I can hear it easily when sitting still - just hold the brake and tap the throttle on and off, and see if you hear it, too.

I *suspect* this is something to do with the engine controls, and *could* be a high frequency PWM (pulse width modulated) solenoid driver in the e-Throttle-pedal, or the PCM (if the noise is in fact coming from inside the cabin), or you are perhaps hearing the solenoid or a stepper motor transmitting from the engine bay. I don't believe this is the type of noise to come from the fuel injectors themselves, but more likely something to do with emissions (EGR solenoid), or the throttle control motor and/or idle air control (I am not familiar enough with the Skactiv-D architecture to know what sensors and actuators it has). Or perhaps it has to do with turbocharger control.

Mine is barely audible (for me), but I do believe I would have noticed it before. One test would be to try it with the hood open and an observer standing by.

Although I spent former and current lives as a technician and engineer, including a few years with EFI, I am at least 10 years obsolete and not an expert on the GT-R's arhictecture at all. However, I'm fairly confident the noise is associated with the engine controls and some electrical actuator associated with it. I don't believe it has anything to do with alternator noise, the speakers, chargers, etc. This assumes all of us in the trhead are talking about the same noise in the first place!

thanks for the explanation, it was pretty thorough...so i guess the big picture is that it's normal and we shouldn't really be concerned with it, the tech probably can't do much about it anyways.

Just bought a 2020 GTR, and I've been scouring the forums to see if anyone else had this issue. It's been driving me kinda nuts all week. High-pitched mosquito-ish whine, audible at idle but gets louder with any sort of throttle input. Glad to see it's not just me, but bummed there's no fix.

Just bought a 2020 GTR, and I've been scouring the forums to see if anyone else had this issue. It's been driving me kinda nuts all week. High-pitched mosquito-ish whine, audible at idle but gets louder with any sort of throttle input. Glad to see it's not just me, but bummed there's no fix.

the only “fix” so far is to listen to your radio. Anyways I’m a bit bummed myself but learned to live with it. The car otherwise drives great so can’t complain in that dept.

I just found this on another forum - thought others might be interested in getting their noise fixed!!

Just got my 2020 CX-5 Signature fixed! After 27 days without my vehicle they found that it is the 'high pressure fuel line bracket'. They removed the fuel line bracket, installed insulation to absorb the noise on the bracket and reinstalled it. If you have the issue, take your vehicle to the dealership and tell them that this is the solution and you will have a quiet car! I dealt with 5 managers at the dealer, they contacted Mazda Regional, and Mazda Corporate got involved to get this fixed. Very happy right now.

/

Thank you for this update. I’m going to make an appointment to get this done. Car would be perfect!

Interesting, thanks. Wish I could be sure that this is the same noise I’m hearing before I approach the dealer with the complaint and the fix.

I just found this on another forum - thought others might be interested in getting their noise fixed!!

Just got my 2020 CX-5 Signature fixed! After 27 days without my vehicle they found that it is the 'high pressure fuel line bracket'. They removed the fuel line bracket, installed insulation to absorb the noise on the bracket and reinstalled it. If you have the issue, take your vehicle to the dealership and tell them that this is the solution and you will have a quiet car! I dealt with 5 managers at the dealer, they contacted Mazda Regional, and Mazda Corporate got involved to get this fixed. Very happy right now.

Awesome - glad to hear you found a resolution that works. Any chance you have a picture of the insulated bracket?

I haven't had this done yet - this was found on another forum. I hope to have it done early next week per my dealer. I'll keep you posted.

I haven't had this done yet - this was found on another forum. I hope to have it done early next week per my dealer. I'll keep you posted.
Thank you. Definitely looking forward to your update. I have my service scheduled at the end of the month.

Back