Mazda Popularity

I'm thinking that the BSM in my CX-5 is doing exactly what it's supposed to do...it warns me because the car in that lane is not a safe distance away for me to move over, even if they are not technically in the Blind Spot Zone. Now, that doesn't mean that I would not pull over anyway, but the CX-5 is usually correct...I would be cutting in front of that car and not leaving them at a safe following distance for that speed.

It's the same as the system that tells me when I'm following too closely.

But "safe" and "customary" (or "reasonable for the environment") are two different things. And while I enjoy the assist, and while I always leave these systems on, there are times I shall opt for "customary."

Caveat: If I still lived in congested "Driving for Darwin" Northern Virginia (and not in the country), my opinion would be completely different and I'd turn the damned annoying things off ;)

^ +1. Very good explanation, nailed it.

The only way I can describe my RAVs system is a narrower gap between safe and customary you described vs the experience I had in a 2018.

I'm not debating BSM: it was the only tech feature that was must have in my car. I thought we were talking about how the 1st gens was flat out better....except on "his" car. It's well documented on this very site that they increased the distance that triggers it on gen 2. And the majority of people think it triggers too early now. Almost everyone who upgraded to gen 2 had this complaint.
Except for Mr Hated-his-car-and-for-some-reason-bought-a-newer-one.
❤️ Ya' bro.
I don't think anyone is arguing it's ineffective today.

Regarding CRs brand rankings, they do change quite a bit as it's an average of total reliability of all models within the brand. Here's the current list:

4yu5S80.png

bgcnrFD.jpg

CR isn't perfect, but it is the biggest reliability survey of its kind.

"I really don't believe most Toyota RAV4 owners, especially the previous gen, or Honda CR-V owners bought their vehicle purely because of the looks. They most likely bought it because of the reliability reputation."

Regarding the "reliability reputation" Consumer Reports predicted the 2019 CX-5 to be MORE reliable than either CRV, RAV or Subaru. One can disagree with Consumer Reports of course but you"d have to try to find a better, more inclusive data bank.

1st: man your girl in the avatar is well caliente!

2nd: man forgot what I was gonna say.

3rd: oh yeah, Mazda is one of the few cars out there that's made in Japan.

The Rav4 hybrid is so much better than the CX-5. I don't know what I was thinking buying my CX-5. It is truly a stunning automobile.

2019-toyota-rav4-005.jpg

It doesn't bother me as much as most of their other cars. It seems more consistent in its look at least.

Actually, amidst the trolling and constant Mazda bashing, Paulson did bring up a valid point. The BSM really is too sensitive. I use 3.75" convex mirrors (the largest stick-on size), which I much prefer. The system still works through the mirrors, which shows you how powerful the radar is. Grote makes the best convex mirrors, I have tried several brands. I keep that system off and use the mirrors, no twisting around except when changing multiple lanes at once. If you want, you can turn the system back on when driving at night.

Last edited:
I thought the radars for the BSM were in the rear bumper.

the reason some say that BSM is too sensitive is because Mazda's system works a little different than other brands. it takes into account the speed of the car in the next lane, and if it will be in the alert zone within the next 5 seconds (it might be 3), the light will show in the side mirror

Ah, that makes sense... regardless, I do prefer the convex mirrors over the BSM. Convex mirrors allow drivers of very long vehicles (such as semi trailers) to change lanes safely.

the reason some say that BSM is too sensitive is because Mazda's system works a little different than other brands. it takes into account the speed of the car in the next lane, and if it will be in the alert zone within the next 5 seconds (it might be 3), the light will show in the side mirror

You kind of have to drive a CX-5 to know, it still goes off too early when changing lanes safely.

It is truly a stunning automobile.

2019-toyota-rav4-005.jpg

To each their own I guess.
It looks an awful lot like the Pontiac Azteck to me. Maybe Toyota hired the guy from GM that created that monstrosity.
The proportions are all wrong on that Rav4.Wheel arches are too big/high. The ass end lights sticks out too far. There's way too much going on in that design.
Toyota has done the same with all of their lineup too. The new Camry, Corolla, etc. Butt ugly.

Actually, amidst the trolling and constant Mazda bashing, Paulson did bring up a valid point. The BSM really is too sensitive. I use 3.75" convex mirrors (the largest stick-on size), which I much prefer. The system still works through the mirrors, which shows you how powerful the radar is. Grote makes the best convex mirrors, I have tried several brands. I keep that system off and use the mirrors, no twisting around except when changing multiple lanes at once. If you want, you can turn the system back on when driving at night.

I've always had convex mirrors on my cars,. and struggle to decide where to put them on my CX-5. I've usually had them in the top outside corner, but that's where the BSM lights are. I installed a couple of 2" ones on the top inside corner but it messes with my head...I look there for things that are close to me and having that fisheye there is confusing.

So where on the mirrors did you install yours?
I really angsted over which style to install because of the size of the mirrors compared to my trucks. Don't those 3" ones take up too much real estate?

I put them on the lower outside corners of the mirror. You can still see a decent amount of the regular mirror, to me they are the perfect size. The bigger the mirror, the clearer the picture. I've tested a few different brands and the Grote has the best optical clarity. The other mirrors I tested (Camco and CIPA) are more cheaply made.

Last edited:
You kind of have to drive a CX-5 to know, it still goes off too early when changing lanes safely.

You know, I still think that if you apply the standard of "One car length per 10 miles an hour," the system is pretty close.
It's a conservative distance, but it's the general standard.

But as I said, here in the sticks those things are easier to observe than in congested areas.

Do you have a reference for that? It seems to me that Mazda doesn't take that into account, and that's why the warnings are often inappropriate.

For example, when you have passed a car and are returning to the right lane, the system doesn't realize that you are pulling away from the target. That warning is at roughly the same distance as a car overtaking you.

Back