Mazda Popularity

I never opined on MY intelligence, or lack.
Also, I happen to like my CX5 turbo.
Again, still not really one to give a damn if OTHERS like my CX5 turbo.

OP was talking about sales figures in his country when you felt the need to post how stupid the "average person" is. You came in with some kinda condescending big guy s*** that I thought was funny.
I'm 99% sure no one was giving much of a damn about YOUR CX5 turbo anyway. (rofl2)

Just to add something that's vaguely on topic. Hopefully this is the beginning of something that leads to Mazdaspeed's return to the streets.

Last edited:
Me, too. The CX-5 was the only vehicle in my price range that had the one feature I really wanted, so it was my first choice. Reviews were good. After a test drive, I knew I didn't have to bother with the others.

What was the ONE feature?

I'll also freely admit I don't like the most popular brands partly because.... they're the most popular brands. :D

OP was talking about sales figures in his country when you felt the need to post how stupid the "average person" is. You came in with some kinda condescending big guy s*** that I thought was funny.
I'm 99% sure no one was giving much of a damn about YOUR CX5 turbo anyway. (rofl2)

Once again, I never made any claims 'bout myself. Stop trying to put words in my posts that were never there.

Just to add something that's vaguely on topic. Hopefully this is the beginning of something that leads to Mazdaspeed's return to the streets.

I wish the front overhang were not that long. Driveways and speed bumps are always tricky to maneuver with my lowered 3.

I wish the front overhang were not that long. Driveways and speed bumps are always tricky to maneuver with my lowered 3.

YEah, that overhang is a bit much, but the rest of the car is looking good. Is this a 3?

I wonder if the reason they haven't brought MS to the streets is because they keep hoping to drop an RX9 and don't want competition within the brand, considering how unpopular Mazda's are...

What was the ONE feature?

Power passenger seat. Happy wife, happy life.
I had to get the top trim with the option package to get it. I would not have done that if it weren't for the seat.
And I'm SO glad I did.

Their vehicles IMO just aren't very practical compared to the competition. CX-5 has cramped interior, below average rear leg room and cargo, middle of the road MPG, seats are uncomfortable on long drives. New Mazda3 is expensive compared to the competition, middle of the road MPG, cramped rear seat, polarizing style on the hatch, poor rear visibility in the hatch....CX-9 has no V6 option, cramped claustrophic interior, middle of the road MPG....Oh ya they don't offer a hybrid either on any of their vehicles when gas is $4 in states like California. Toyota on the other hand can't keep those RAV4 hybrids on the lot:

https://www.caradvice.com.au/764751/toyota-rav4-hybrid-sold-out/

I get the usual outliers will come out and say they got their Mazda for its looks, power, driving feel etc...well that's nice and all but most people don't care about that. Mazda won't survive on enthusiasts alone.

Their vehicles IMO just aren't very practical compared to the competition. CX-5 has cramped interior, below average rear leg room and cargo, middle of the road MPG, seats are uncomfortable on long drives. New Mazda3 is expensive compared to the competition, middle of the road MPG, cramped rear seat, polarizing style on the hatch, poor rear visibility in the hatch....CX-9 has no V6 option, cramped claustrophic interior, middle of the road MPG....Oh ya they don't offer a hybrid either on any of their vehicles when gas is $4 in states like California. Toyota on the other hand can't keep those RAV4 hybrids on the lot:

https://www.caradvice.com.au/764751/toyota-rav4-hybrid-sold-out/

I get the usual outliers will come out and say they got their Mazda for its looks, power, driving feel etc...well that's nice and all but most people don't care about that. Mazda won't survive on enthusiasts alone.

disagree..most care about looks, performance, driveability. They just don't have Mazda on their list because of marketing. Little extra space in the cargo area is meaningless to the majority.

^^Oh I disagree w/everything other than looks. People don't know Mazda at least the current not owned by Ford Mazda, they do know and trust Honda(even though they're not what they used to be) and Toyota. Mazda's real issue is in the dealers..both the lack of and lack of a quality experience once there imo. Space is also a big consideration esp in the 3 row class..and yeah the ads suck but Toyotas ads have sucked forever..people buy what the know and trust and can conveniently buy and service(close to home/work.)
The CX-9 is a great driving 3 row SUV butttt people buy 3 row SUVs not because they want to but because they need the space..for people and crap and don't want to drive a van which if you have a lot of both is the only choice.

Last edited:
I'd use more space if I had it. I don't know if I'd like the trade-offs required to get it.

I live out in the country. Our garbage collection is 1/4 mile up hill from our house. The can fits upright in the back, but only if the seats are down because of the swoop of the the hatch. So I either need to drop 2 of the backs and make sure the floor is clear, or lay the can on its side (no leaks yet).

I'm coming from a sedan, so its nice to be able to use my daily driver for this at all - but if the space were there, I'd appreciate it.

I also haul my trash to a drop-off point, but it's miles away. I've kept my 2005 Canyon for that and for runs to Lowes. I have a utility trailer I could pull with my CX-5, and have thought of getting a cargo carrier to put on the hitch for trash cans, but haven't reached the point that I'm ready to do that. The truck's paid for.

There's a lot of variation in markets, too. Mazdas are everywhere in Cleveland. Everywhere. There are 7 dealers within 20 miles of my house.

I wonder why. Is this by design, or did a bunch of dealers in Cleveland just happen to pursue Mazda and they said "Yes" to all of them? That's a denser dealership population than around uber-rich Northern Virginia.

I also haul my trash to a drop-off point, but it's miles away. I've kept my 2005 Canyon for that and for runs to Lowes. I have a utility trailer I could pull with my CX-5, and have thought of getting a cargo carrier to put on the hitch for trash cans, but haven't reached the point that I'm ready to do that. The truck's paid for.

Yeah, I have a 97 Nissan Hardbody with a lumber rack. That's what I use when its time to take the big recycling cart.

I'm not saying the Mazda is a hardship, just, all else being equal, I'd appreciate the space. Of course, all else is never equal, and the Honda CRV has an ugly butt, in large part likely due to this. Although they seem to be aiming for ugly, each generation worse than the last. The original, utilitarian look of the early generation probably the best.

Yeah, I have a 97 Nissan Hardbody with a lumber rack. That's what I use when its time to take the big recycling cart.

I'm still on the fence whether or not to sell the truck and take the cash. Funny how they hold their resale value so much. I occasionally do volunteer work doing construction and home repairs, and like having the truck to haul stuff around on job sites.

First World Problems, huh?

I'm still on the fence whether or not to sell the truck and take the cash. Funny how they hold their resale value so much. I occasionally do volunteer work doing construction and home repairs, and like having the truck to haul stuff around on job sites.

First World Problems, huh?

The pickup was $3000 like 10 years ago. I've gotten my money's worth. Insurance is the only thing. I don't know why liability insurance increases so much with a 3rd vehicle in a 2 driver household. We can only be crashing 2 of them at a time into other people or their stuff.

Insurance is the only thing. I don't know why liability insurance increases so much with a 3rd vehicle in a 2 driver household. We can only be crashing 2 of them at a time into other people or their stuff.

I live alone and am retired. I got the same problem. Makes no sense. The best I can do is get a meager discount for driving the truck less than 5,000 miles/year. Heck, I drive it less than 1,000 miles/year.

In my state, you have to have current tags, insurance and pay property taxes whether the thing is driven or not, so I can't just take it off the road and save the money. Applies to that "someday I'll restore it" car sitting up on blocks. Never used to be that way here. Greedy bastards.

disagree..most care about looks, performance, driveability. They just don't have Mazda on their list because of marketing. Little extra space in the cargo area is meaningless to the majority.

If people cared most about these 3 things, they would buy a car and not an SUV. MotorTrend(and KBB) still think the CRV is the best in the class. You think they picked it for it looks? And Mazda has been selling vehicles In the states since the 50s. Theyre not some new car company that no one knows about. Sure their marketing sucks but ultimately if it got better that doesnt change the fact that their vehicles just cant compete in terms of practicality.

As far as a lack of dealers go, if more people bought Mazdas, youd see more Mazda dealers opening. Supply and demand. Also Subaru has less dealers in the country and they sell twice as many vehicles in the states as Mazda.

Last edited:
Is this a 3?

Yes.

Here we go again with why do people buy the cars they buy.
Heres goes me again citing the post I always cite when this comes up. It's 3 years old now but I doubt things have changed.
#1 Reliability.
#2 LOOKS
#3 Brand Loyalty
#4 Reviews\Reputation
#5 Ride\Handling
#6 Price
#7 MPG tied with #7 Safety
#9 Quality
#10 AWD

https://www.nydailynews.com/autos/b...ns-people-buy-specific-cars-article-1.2552707

Looks sell cars. I walked around my office once and asked people why they bought the cars they did.
"Legroom" or "Trunk space" were... not once mentioned. :D

And I am so tired of people saying "Everyone thinks Ford still owns Mazda". Ok, first of all? NO, they don't. Second, Ford quality is better today then it's ever been in history so thinking negatively of a brand because it's associated with Ford...well that would just be dumb today. Last, I am willing to bet pink slips even WHEN Ford did own part of Mazda at least 60% of the buying public didn't know it then. And I bet that's a low guess.

I AM a car enthusiast and I never knew that until I was doing research to buy one. (rofl2)

Yes.

Here we go again with why do people buy the cars they buy.
Heres goes me again citing the post I always cite when this comes up. It's 3 years old now but I doubt things have changed.
#1 Reliability.
#2 LOOKS
#3 Brand Loyalty
#4 Reviews\Reputation
#5 Ride\Handling
#6 Price
#7 MPG tied with #7 Safety
#9 Quality
#10 AWD

https://www.nydailynews.com/autos/b...ns-people-buy-specific-cars-article-1.2552707

Looks sell cars. I walked around my office once and asked people why they bought the cars they did.
"Legroom" or "Trunk space" were... not once mentioned. :D

And I am so tired of people saying "Everyone thinks Ford still owns Mazda". Ok, first of all? NO, they don't. Second, Ford quality is better today then it's ever been in history so thinking negatively of a brand because it's associated with Ford...well that would just be dumb today. Last, I am willing to bet pink slips even WHEN Ford did own part of Mazda at least 60% of the buying public didn't know it then. And I bet that's a low guess.

I AM a car enthusiast and I never knew that until I was doing research to buy one. (rofl2)

I absolutely agree. many vehicles perform within most of the driving public's perception range, within a class, indistinguishably. For example, a Camaro SS and a GT350. A Viper and a Z06. The numbers are so close, you don't know if it's 0-60 in 4.2 vs. 4.1. However, that's where intangibles stack up.

Is the torque delivered early, or late? Is there turbo lag? Is the power curve linear or "peaky".

A friend of mine has a WRX STi. By the numbers, my CX5 will stomp him 5-60, however, because of the way t he power is delivered, it does NOT "feel" that way when you run 'em 5-60, because the STi has BUCKETS of turbo lag and then really turns it on, while the CX5 is very linear and immediate. The end result is that the CX5 is faster by a significant margin to 60 from a 5mph roll, but having driven both cars, I can tell you the STi feels like it should be faster, because the brain 'weights" the "hit" a lot heavier than the slow and steady, when it comes to how things "feel".

Just like how the CRV out-handles the CX5, even though the CX5 feels sportier because of the heavier steering and less body motion.

Perception.

But really, looks are huge, too. Probably the biggest. Read every thread on here about a new vehicle drop, and some of the first criticisms or praises are its looks. #1

Back