Mazda Popularity

I know I told a friend of mine I was getting a CX-5 and his response was I dont think you want a Ford so that negative stigma is still out there with a some people Im sure.

I know I told a friend of mine I was getting a CX-5 and his response was *I don*t think you want a Ford* so that negative stigma is still out there with a some people I*m sure.

I've heard this before too, actually from someone I thought was somewhat knowledgeable about cars, too. It's sad.

But, they're definitely right, I don't want a Ford. Never have, never will.

I happen to like Mazda's new marketing positioning, which is one notch above Honda and Toyota.
Every co-worker who sat in my Mazda6 was impressed. They never considered Mazda before.
I recommended Mazda to two co-workers, who had Honda/Toyota on their shopping list. They both brought back Mazda at the end of shopping. Overall, a better package, they said. Especially, CX5 against competition.

Yeah but that's the problem. Their marketing completely sucks ass in NA, hence people don't even consider them unless they have friends/family/coworkers who show them their Mazda.

When I bought mine, I had no intention to even look at a Mazda. My brand impression of Mazda was pretty poor at the time because I remember bad broken down Mazdas from being a kid. Then family and a coworker suggested I go look at a CX-5. I immediately loved it versus the crap that was out at the time in the CUV space (Spring 2013).

Anyway, you're right, most people given a chance to try or sit in a Mazda, like them. The problem is that this marketing you like didn't get them there.

EDIT: Oh and I have coworkers and other acquaintances who thought Mazdas were still Fords. That's another problem. Maybe throw that in your marketing, Mazda. "Hey we have not been Ford for many years now. Look at how much better and well liked our cars are now. Visit a showroom today..."

Last edited:
And THAT folks is the entire crux of Mazda's problem.
Read any reviews on any site from Honda or Toyota owners, and not one of them will mention that they cross shopped a Mazda.
Honda CR-V owners will tell you they looked at Rav4's, and maybe a Subaru, but that's it.
Rav4 owners say the same thing. They looked at a CR-V, but nothing else. No mention, ever, of any of them having looked at a Mazda.
However, you don't have to go far to see CX-5 owners who were shopping Honda and Toyota, and for whatever reason, decided to check out Mazda.
And Bingo, the Mazda wins.

I disagree with this. I also belong to the CR-V forum, as well as Lexus and a couple others. We were planning on replacing my wife's 2010 CR-V with a new one, until the whole OD issue popped up. Anyway's, there are several threads comparing the 3 models. The biggest drawback for some looking at the Cx-5 is space. If you need to haul more stuff, it drops down on your list. The other 2, especially the CR-V, has noticeably more.

I've seen people cross shopping the Acura RDX with the CX-5 Signature, myself included. Mazda is even mentioned quite often on the Lexus site, which sm1ke is also a member of. It is starting to get recognised, which should help get people into the showrooms to see what they've been missing. It takes time.

why should we care that their marketing sucks? I like not seeing a billion cx-5s out there.

I drove to an event in a large town about 50 miles away. When I hit traffic, I notice 3 CX-5s and a CX-9 right there in traffic next to me! I was shocked.

I disagree with this. I also belong to the CR-V forum, as well as Lexus and a couple others. We were planning on replacing my wife's 2010 CR-V with a new one, until the whole OD issue popped up. Anyway's, there are several threads comparing the 3 models. The biggest drawback for some looking at the Cx-5 is space. If you need to haul more stuff, it drops down on your list. The other 2, especially the CR-V, has noticeably more.

I've seen people cross shopping the Acura RDX with the CX-5 Signature, myself included. Mazda is even mentioned quite often on the Lexus site, which sm1ke is also a member of. It is starting to get recognised, which should help get people into the showrooms to see what they've been missing. It takes time.

You know, I see on paper that the cargo space difference is substantial. But other than those optics, are there really people out there stuffing so much stuff into the back that they'd not have enough room in a CX-5? Or is this a matter of the paper difference being so stark that it scares some folks away?

I understand what you are saying, but you have to realize that 99% of buyers looking for a mid size SUV are not car people, and do not belong on any car sites, like this one.
The enthusiastic folks like yourself, and the others you mention, are the exception, not the rule.
I know very few guys (and no women) who frequent car sites.
I've talked to many friends and family members over the years about car buying, and non of them did any worthwhile research before buying.
Non of them bought a Mazda, and non of them even looked at one before buying their Hondas, Toyotas or Kias, or whatever.
These people are buying a name they think is a safe bet.
How many soccer moms do you think actually search the internet to find out how much storage space a CR-V has vs a CX-5? Answer: none.
The true car buying enthusiast like yourself, and others on this site, are not the problem.
It's the other 99% of lazy, uninterested, buyers that can't be bothered to cross shop or do any sort of research, that Mazda somehow needs to reach.
Until people start taking car buying a little more serious, and start investing the time and effort into doing a little more research and homework,
then Companies like Honda and Toyota will continue to top the sales chart, while producing vehicles of lesser and cheaper quality.....and getting away with it.
It sometime boggles my mind that people will spend more time researching and fussing over a new cell phone.

You know, I see on paper that the cargo space difference is substantial. But other than those optics, are there really people out there stuffing so much stuff into the back that they'd not have enough room in a CX-5? Or is this a matter of the paper difference being so stark that it scares some folks away?

I'd use more space if I had it. I don't know if I'd like the trade-offs required to get it.

I live out in the country. Our garbage collection is 1/4 mile up hill from our house. The can fits upright in the back, but only if the seats are down because of the swoop of the the hatch. So I either need to drop 2 of the backs and make sure the floor is clear, or lay the can on its side (no leaks yet).

I'm coming from a sedan, so its nice to be able to use my daily driver for this at all - but if the space were there, I'd appreciate it.

I never understood this. Unless you regularly stack things, up to the ceiling mind you, and from the front to back of the trunk area, cargo space is sort of not that big a deal. If you're trying to fit a bike, or a wheelchair or something back there and one car is easier than the other, sure another scenario where cargo space matters.

But outside of that, it's really not a big deal in my eyes.

I never understood this. Unless you regularly stack things, up to the ceiling mind you, and from the front to back of the trunk area, cargo space is sort of not that big a deal. If you're trying to fit a bike, or a wheelchair or something back there and one car is easier than the other, sure another scenario where cargo space matters.

But outside of that, it's really not a big deal in my eyes.

agreed...and hauling something larger I just put back seats down. But I guess that wouldn't help those that are seating 5..lol

Mazda could quite easily increase the space in the CX by reducing the rake of the rear windshield. Then it would look like a boring box like the rest of the mainstream competition.

Mazda makes the CX-9 if you want more space, personally, I think the CX-5 has a better looking front end and certainly a much better entry price.

Until 3 months ago, I had been convinced for over a decade that my next car would be a Subaru or Toyota. An online comparison between the CR-V the Forester and the CX-5 caught my attention. That caused me to look for more test reports and the next thing you know, I'm shopping for a Mazda.

In 12 days, I'll be heading to a dealer to pick up a new CX-5 Reserve. Who woulda thunk? It certainly wasn't Mazda's marketing that got my attention.

Just bought a GTR model after 8 years driving an Acura TSX wagon. Very impressed so far, much easier to fit my bike in back too. I*ve usually been a wagon buyer but have been thinking about a compact crossover for a while. I had too many issues with a 2004 Subaru Outback H6 so that brand was out. Most comparisons rated the CX-5 well and it*s pluses were things I like (fun to drive, etc.). Rear seat room and smaller cargo space mattered little.

Tim

Until 3 months ago, I had been convinced for over a decade that my next car would be a Subaru or Toyota. An online comparison between the CR-V the Forester and the CX-5 caught my attention. That caused me to look for more test reports and the next thing you know, I'm shopping for a Mazda.

In 12 days, I'll be heading to a dealer to pick up a new CX-5 Reserve. Who woulda thunk? It certainly wasn't Mazda's marketing that got my attention.

You won't be disappointed. The Reserve is a great vehicle.

Me too, just picked up a CX-5 GT-PP last week...had a santa fe sport 2.0TU that I loved but my wife didn't. Very happy so far with the new rig except no remote start...didn't know that till after I signed. Yes, I've read all the posts about aftermarket and I will have to get one here before too long.

Just bought a GTR model after 8 years driving an Acura TSX wagon. Very impressed so far, much easier to fit my bike in back too. I*ve usually been a wagon buyer but have been thinking about a compact crossover for a while. I had too many issues with a 2004 Subaru Outback H6 so that brand was out. Most comparisons rated the CX-5 well and it*s pluses were things I like (fun to drive, etc.). Rear seat room and smaller cargo space mattered little.

Tim

Hi fellow wagon guy. It was hatchbacks for me, then a wagon...then Saab folded.

Apparently I'm the only one whose first choice was a Mazda? I read reviews and it was my first choice. I only test drove others to make sure I was making the right choice.

There's a lot of variation in markets, too. Mazdas are everywhere in Cleveland. Everywhere. There are 7 dealers within 20 miles of my house.

Hi fellow wagon guy. It was hatchbacks for me, then a wagon...then Saab folded.

Apparently I'm the only one whose first choice was a Mazda? I read reviews and it was my first choice. I only test drove others to make sure I was making the right choice.

There's a lot of variation in markets, too. Mazdas are everywhere in Cleveland. Everywhere. There are 7 dealers within 20 miles of my house.

Me, too. The CX-5 was the only vehicle in my price range that had the one feature I really wanted, so it was my first choice. Reviews were good. After a test drive, I knew I didn't have to bother with the others.

Back