Winter/Snow tires

I will be getting 225/65/17's for my GT and have narrowed my choice down to either the Bridgestone DM-V2 or WS-90. Some say the WS-90 is designed for passenger vehicles, while the DM-V2 is more suited to SUV's and light trucks. What are the thoughts of everyone out there?

I finally went with Nokians, which I previously had on my RDX. I think it*s a great tire.

I will be getting 225/65/17's for my GT and have narrowed my choice down to either the Bridgestone DM-V2 or WS-90. Some say the WS-90 is designed for passenger vehicles, while the DM-V2 is more suited to SUV's and light trucks. What are the thoughts of everyone out there?

kdaug, if you were fully satisfied with your WS-80, go with your heart and get th WS-90. Otherwise you might later regret and say "I should have..."

You could also seek advice towards your trusted tire guy. They usually have good feedback.

Besides what has already been said, the WS-90 is a "new model", while the DM-V2 is in the same generation as the WS-80 and Michelin's Xice Xi3. With the CX-5, I'd be comfortable using either, but I think I'd try the WS-90 based on this C&D review:

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a26038430/bridgestone-blizzak-ws90-tire-drive/

I have WS80 224/55R17's mounted on some 17" cheap wheels from craigslist. I have not found conditions yet that give me pause when I have them installed. I live in Wisconsin and have seen some brutal snow storms that I had to drive in.

Besides what has already been said, the WS-90 is a "new model", while the DM-V2 is in the same generation as the WS-80 and Michelin's Xice Xi3. With the CX-5, I'd be comfortable using either, but I think I'd try the WS-90 based on this C&D review:

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a26038430/bridgestone-blizzak-ws90-tire-drive/

I notice that the new WS90 appears to have fewer sipes than the DM-V2, so, all other things being more or less equal, I wonder if the WS90 can have as much grip on ice as the DM-V2

Last edited:
I'm picking up 17" steelies (I like the look and they're cheap and durable...sue me) mounted with TPMS and 225/65-17 Continental VikingContact 7s at Tire Rack's distribution center in Delaware this coming Saturday for my 19 Signature.

Just read an article saying that the DM-V2's are mainly for pickups and full size suv's. The cx-5 being more like a car on heels than a suv, kdaug, you should also be good with the WS-90's.

No complaints with my DM-V2s... ...just extremely impressed... will purchase whatever equivalent there is at replacement time.

IIRC the DM-V2s are what Mazda chose in the snow test videos years back as well

Just read an article saying that the DM-V2's are mainly for pickups and full size suv's. The cx-5 being more like a car on heels than a suv, kdaug, you should also be good with the WS-90's.

Interesting....as Bridgestone says that the DM-V2 "is engineered for many of the most popular SUVs, CUVs and light trucks on the road today" The CX-5 definitely falls in this category.

Well I just picked up 4 WS90 tires in 225/65 17".

Didn't find anyone who could install today though, so when they do finally get installed, I'll let you know how they perform. I was very happy with the performance of the WS80.

No complaints with my DM-V2s... ...just extremely impressed... will purchase whatever equivalent there is at replacement time.

IIRC the DM-V2s are what Mazda chose in the snow test videos years back as well

I see that Bridgestone announced in early August the release of their new DM-V3 as per the article below:

https://tiresvote.com/articles/brid...ing-launch-its-new-winter-tire-blizzak-dm-v3/

I don't see them at my local COSTCO yet so suspect it won't arrive before I will need to replace my old WS70's in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
Just had my Blizzak WS90 tires installed. Seem to be running well like my WS80s did. Pretty happy with them on the snowy drive into the office today.

Last edited:
Good thing you had them installed today because tomorrow will be a good test in Denver.

And it was, they did great. I only had one problem intersection that when the light turned green I wasn't gaining much traction going up the hill from a stop. But I recall having that issue last year at the same intersection too. This one spot just ices up weird. That said, had I still been on the all-season, that would have been a very tough hill to get over. With the snows, the traction control kicked in for a brief moment and then off I went.

Everywhere else though during the drive was great. Good tire so far.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the WS90 over the DM-V2, as I have the WS70's at the moment which I have really liked. I just want to get the model that will perform best. Now, the new WS90's appear to have way fewer sipes that the WS80 so I am wondering how they can grip as well on ice.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the WS90 over the DM-V2, as I have the WS70's at the moment which I have really liked. I just want to get the model that will perform best. Now, the new WS90's appear to have way fewer sipes that the WS80 so I am wondering how they can grip as well on ice.

Sipes are critical on ice, but rubber compound is as well.

Sipes are critical on ice, but rubber compound is as well.

I thought that the rubber compound in the WS90 is the same as that in the old WS80's, (as well as in the current DM-V2), so, why would they reduce the number of sipes?

Back