Did you have the rocker issue recall work done? Post your experience here

"Parts" = "New/Rebuilt Engine," right?
Of course, I can't imagine there are a lot of rebuilt 2018 2.5L CD engines out there.

Man, this is not a good thing...for you specifically, for 2.5L CD car owners in general, and for Mazda.

The thing is, unless there's something different about these replacement motors (and I doubt that there is), everyone is perpetually at equal risk if suspicions are correct that the S/W fix is not effective.

-Those with unmodified cars are at risk
-Those with the [presumed ineffective] S/W update are at risk
-Those with new engines [and the presumed ineffective S/W update] are at risk

I believe it'll be a new engine. I missed the initial call today and called him back. He stated "the part was in stock and the tech is already working on it." I just listened to the voicemail and in it he said the tech ordered a new engine. I guessing he meant in stock at the warehouse/distributor. I can't imagine a dealership keeping too many entire spare engines on the premises.

I believe it'll be a new engine. I missed the initial call today and called him back. He stated "the part was in stock and the tech is already working on it." I just listened to the voicemail and in it he said the tech ordered a new engine. I guessing he meant in stock at the warehouse/distributor. I can't imagine a dealership keeping too many entire spare engines on the premises.

So the essential question to ask him is: is this a new or "new" [rebuilt] engine?

Amazing to even think about having dealer replace a engine on a brand new car !

We have alot of people here saying they wouldn't trust dealer to do even oil changes !

That brings to mind a very early report that they were sending engines back to Japan.

The supply chain would be simple. Pull failed engines and send them all back to be rebuilt, install those rebuilt engines in new failures, pull those failures, send them back ad infinitum.

That would bring the costs that I was envisioning for Mazda WAY down.

So just like Oprah: you get a rebuilt engine, and you get a rebuilt engine, and YOU....

I just hope Mazda is thinking about how much of an extended warranty they'd better put on these rebuilt engines that they'll be putting in almost new cars.

I believe you asked the magnitude of this issue in other comments.

Glock32's Philly dealership already had "parts in stock." There are about 600 Mazda dealers in the states and Mexico. I wonder how many others have replacement engines in stock. Where did they come from? As you know, this is a new 2018 design.

Before they could get the supply of engines to rebuild, they had to seed the replacement process with new engines. So I would assume that some number of early folks got brand new engines, and their engines were first in the rebuild stream.

Folks are wondering if the software update would really fix this issue. I don't know what to think.

Would Mazda really go through all this without having fixed the problem (at least in their own minds)? Reflashing software is one thing. Would they replace engines knowing that the underlying issue still exists in those engines?

Amazing to even think about having dealer replace a engine on a brand new car !

We have alot of people here saying they wouldn't trust dealer to do even oil changes !

Yeh, but it's not like there's a choice.

So the essential question to ask him is: is this a new or "new" [rebuilt] engine?

I'll certainly ask and report back what I'm told. While a brand new engine is certainly preferred, I personally don't care enough to "fight" for it if the plan is to use a rebuilt engine. My CX-5 is leased and I'll just get another one in 18 months, so I'm not too concerned about it's long term reliability.

I have reached out to Mazda USA about being lightly compensated for the inconvenience of this issue. I asked for a complimentary upgrade/installation of Android Auto/Car Play. Doesn't hurt to ask...

I believe you asked the magnitude of this issue in other comments.Yup, and I haven't heard an answer yet.

Glock32's Philly dealership already had "parts in stock." There's no telling what this actually means. There are about 600 Mazda dealers in the states and Mexico. I wonder how many others have replacement engines in stock. Where did they come from? As you know, this is a new 2018 design.

Before they could get the supply of engines to rebuild, they had to seed the replacement process with new engines. So I would assume that some number of early folks got brand new engines, and their engines were first in the rebuild stream.That's my theory.

Folks are wondering if the software update would really fix this issue. I don't know what to think.No use wondering. Time will tell.

Would Mazda really go through all this without having fixed the problem (at least in their own minds)? Reflashing software is one thing. Would they replace engines knowing that the underlying issue still exists in those engines?Seems inconceivable, doesn't it. But they may not have a choice, and are introducing a change on the fly to the new 2020 engines.

And maybe they've got it under control. Maybe they'll effectively fix the ones that break, ignore the ones that don't [after the flash], and live happily ever after.

I'll certainly ask and report back what I'm told. While a brand new engine is certainly preferred, I personally don't care enough to "fight" for it if the plan is to use a rebuilt engine. My CX-5 is leased and I'll just get another one in 18 months, so I'm not too concerned about it's long term reliability.

I have reached out to Mazda USA about being lightly compensated for the inconvenience of this issue. I asked for a complimentary upgrade/installation of Android Auto/Car Play. Doesn't hurt to ask...

Glad to hear that. One more reason to lease if you can....

You should have a good chance of scoring that upgrade. They'd probably be doing it when you return it from the lease anyway.

Just got a call from the dealership... I need a new motor. One of the rocker arms broke and caused some damage. They estimate it will be fixed next Monday or Tuesday.

The brakes starting to pump is so strange, from a broken rocker. I would think that the autonomous braking would be a completely separate system than the engine management system. Did you get a recall letter?

The brakes starting to pump is so strange, from a broken rocker. I would think that the autonomous braking would be a completely separate system than the engine management system. Did you get a recall letter?

Yes. I got the recall notice the weekend before the first incident, but figured I'd get it taken care of when I went for my next oil change, which would have been in late October or November.

Finally got my car back today after 2 weeks. The engine replacement was actually finished towards the end of the day on Tuesday, but they didn't finish the AA/CP installation until today.

Mazda initially refused to provide any compensation for the inconvenience, etc. The initial response from them stated they weren't required to do anything else besides repair the car per the warranty. In this case, replace the engine with a brand new one. Mazda specifically stated "brand new engine" in the email to me. I politely, but firmly pushed back, copying higher level executives on my replies. It took a bit of back and forth between me and Mazda, but I ended up accepting $300 in E-gift certificates, which was used for AA/CP. I found that to be reasonable and not far off from what I asked for, which was free AA/CP.

The notes on the paperwork indicate that the tech experienced the same power loss and warning lights on the 2nd test drive and diagnosed that the #4 cylinder had misfired. He swapped coils, plugs and injectors, but still experienced issues. After inspection, he found that the #4 rocker arm had jumped off the intake valve.

The engine was replaced and an alignment was done. I've only driven about 20 miles since I got it back, but so far so good.

Finally got my car back today after 2 weeks. The engine replacement was actually finished towards the end of the day on Tuesday, but they didn't finish the AA/CP installation until today.

Mazda initially refused to provide any compensation for the inconvenience, etc. The initial response from them stated they weren't required to do anything else besides repair the car per the warranty. In this case, replace the engine with a brand new one. Mazda specifically stated "brand new engine" in the email to me. I politely, but firmly pushed back, copying higher level executives on my replies. It took a bit of back and forth between me and Mazda, but I ended up accepting $300 in E-gift certificates, which was used for AA/CP. I found that to be reasonable and not far off from what I asked for, which was free AA/CP.

The notes on the paperwork indicate that the tech experienced the same power loss and warning lights on the 2nd test drive and diagnosed that the #4 cylinder had misfired. He swapped coils, plugs and injectors, but still experienced issues. After inspection, he found that the #4 rocker arm had jumped off the intake valve.

The engine was replaced and an alignment was done. I've only driven about 20 miles since I got it back, but so far so good.
Thanks for the update.

I was just wondering why the mechanic wanted to waste his time swaping coils, plugs and injectors? The possibility of these components having problems on such a new car is much less than the fallen rocker arm.

At least you got free upgrade with AA and ACP. :)

Anyone notice the vehicle hesitating at low speeds after the update? There is now a distinct hesitation when accelerating slowly, for example, in stop and go traffic. It feels like the vehicle is rocking forward and backward a little.

Glad you got some compensation.

So, at least at this dealer, they are not inspecting first. They must think that replacement of those parts is cheaper and/or easier than inspecting. That suggests that they are not inspecting the cars coming in for the recall that have not experienced a failure. Too bad.

They scratched up my steering wheel on the lower left side, when I had mine done. I don't know how but the dealership here in Charleston sucks, and I would never, ever recommend them to anyone again, service or otherwise. I will drive 2 hours to another dealership before I go to these con-artist again, without getting into more details. I already contacted Mazda USA about them.

Back