Tire Rack snow tire recommends

Hookman49

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT
So thinking of purchasing some wheels and snow tires and one recommendation from tire Rack is 16. My current grand touring is running 19.

Anyone else doing this ? Thoughts?

Im sure lots of people are doing it. I was planning on doing it, until I found out the turbo models cant take a 16 wheel.

Do you have any specific questions?

I*m sure lots of people are doing it. I was planning on doing it, until I found out the turbo models can*t take a 16* wheel.

Do you have any specific questions?

Well since they stated that I found a set used locally in 16" and was considered if they would fit. Hoping someone new if the 16" would clear the brake calipers.

My winter set-up is 225/70R16 tires on 16x6.5 wheels for my 2016 GT and can confirm they do fit and clear the brake calipers.

Well since they stated that I found a set used locally in 16" and was considered if they would fit. Hoping someone new if the 16" would clear the brake calipers.
Do you have exact wheel and tire descriptions?

Sorry if I come across as not trusting you. Its just that Ive seen some people ask some REALLY stupid wheel and tire questions.

Last edited:
Do you have exact wheel and tire descriptions?

Sorry if I come across as not trusting you. It*s just that I*ve seen some people ask some REALLY stupid wheel and tire questions.

No offense at all. I would rather be sure. This is the listing.

"Bridgestone Blizzak 225/70R16 DM-V1 Snow tires. Set of 4 mounted on rims that fit Mazda CX-5."

When I go into Tirerack.com, 16" wheels are not an option on the Signature/Grand Reserve but is for the other trim lines.

Last edited:
I just ordered these same tires mounted on basic black steel rims.

I was quoted CAD$70/each for steel rims and $132 for alloy wheels. Considering that I keep winter tires on 6 months per year, I said why not?

I read a lot about winter tires to see which ones would be better for my location/driving style/mileage. I had Nokian on my previous suv. They were good on the first 2 winters but I noticed a decline in performances on ice after. They were so-so in deep snow and slush. I never had a really good tire for slush (which we have a lot in Montreal); so I'm hoping these ones will be better. I also considered the Xi2 but they are maybe more performance-type tires on dry roads than in snow and slush.

Just purchased Blizzaks DM-V2 225/65R17 and Velocity 17" Alloy wheels for my 2019 Signature (OEM is 19"). Both the tire shop and local dealership said that the 70$ TPMS were not really necessary, if I didn't mind the low tire pressure light on the dashboard.

https://rssw.com/macpek/entries/view/num_produit:AZZ751VMG/year:2019/make:Mazda/model:CX-5/diameter:17/selected_diameter:17/lang:eng

I will be upgrading my older Bridgestone WS-70 tires this winter. I am torn between getting the Bridgestone WS-90 and the DM-V2. Did you consider the WS-90's at all. If so, why did you settle on the DM-V2?

I got a really good deal on a set of discontinued 17" CX-7 rims 4 years ago from my local dealer, and they recommended to get TPMS sensors, and in particular their aftermarket non metal stem ones which they recommended as they wouldn't rust( in our salty winter environment ).

kdaug,

It's a very personal choice, nothing scientific. I relied on reviews, like I did before getting my cx-5. I looked on 1010tires, pmctires, protgez-vous, car and driver, and others. WS-90 is a new model for which there is no reviews yet. Its predecessor, WS-80, seemed to be a very good tire as well, although it's generaly reviewed as passenger cars tire, rather than suv's. On tire rack, reviewers gave a slight advantage to the DM-V2, namely for dry performance and noise level.

My question to you: which brand of tpms did you get? I think the Mazda ones are overpriced, but if I could find aftermarket sensors at a better price and that don't need special programming, I'd buy them.

Thanks.

Last edited:
kdaug,

It's a very personal choice, nothing scientific. I relied on reviews, like I did before getting my cx-5. I looked on 1010tires, pmctires, protgez-vous, car and driver, and others. WS-90 is a new model for which there is no reviews yet. It's predecessor, WS-80, seemed to be a very good tire as well, although it's generaly reviewed as passenger cars tire, rather than suv's. On tire rack, reviewers gave a slight advantage to the DM-V2, namely for dry performance and noise level.

My question to you: which brand of tpms did you get? I think the Mazda ones are overpriced, but if I could find aftermarket sensors at a better price and that don't need special programming, I'd buy them.

Thanks.

Sylvainm: Thanks for the info. When I started researching last year the DM-V2 was my top pick but now that the WS-90 is out I will have to do some more research. My COSTCO tire guy has always been helpful. I'll talk to him this week. Here is a picture of the TPMS I got from my Mazda dealer to install on my 17" alloy "winter" rims:

autel sensor (2).jpg

There is info in the manual under "Tire Pressure Monitoring System", "Changing the tires yourself" on how to (re)set the TPMS if you are installing a new set yourself. It is really easy to do.

Last edited:
Sylvainm, for tire sensors I would figure out the OEM Mazda part numbers of the sensors, then search that part number on eBay. You should get some results that show much cheaper options. In some cases, you can use the sensors from other vehicles (like the Mazda6 or CX-3, for example).

I did the same thing when I swapped DM-V2s onto my OEM wheels and needed a second set of sensors for my summer wheels. I was able to find a full set of OEM Mazda sensors with a similar P/N (BBM2-37-140A vs the OEM BBM2-37-140B) for $50 USD. No special programming required, and no TPMS warning lights even after swapping my winter wheels back on last night.

kdaug, sm1ke, thanks for the advices; it helped. Drove to my favorite tire mechanics this morning. They sell Schrader universal tpms' and program them, at a reasonable price; so I told them to add it to my tire & wheel order. Should be seamless, I hope...

I had the TPMS light come on Saturday for the first time on my 2018. I had aftermarket sensors installed on my winter rims by my Mazda dealer on my 2018 when I traded in my 2014. When I went to COSTCO on Saturday to top up the air I went to reset the TPMS button but noticed that, in fact, there is now no button on the dash left of the steering wheel, as I had on my 2014. The COSTCO tire guy(who also owns a CX-5 said it may need to be reset via the settings on the dash screen but he couldn't find it so we decided that with the Gen 2 models, when you top up your tires with air the TPMS will automatically reset itself. Sure enough, when I drove off, the TPMS light was off.

Last edited:
I had aftermarket sensors previously installed by Mazda 5 years ago on my winter rims for my previous 2014 CX-5.

(Replying again, since you posted this on two threads)

Our 2014 does not have TPMS sensors. The TPMS mechanism works by detecting differences in rotational speed between the wheels.

Maybe your dealer (or whoever) sold you something you didn't need - or sold you something they didn't install?

Back