Mirror folding failure

You have 17k miles. Why are you bringing up your extended warranty? When things like that fail, it's usually early.

Like all the DRLs on the *16 model that are failing right after the 3 year bumper to bumper expires? :)

Last edited:
It's on the Reserve too. Yes, you were correct, just turn the round adjustment dial 180 deg and it folds both mirrors in. Thanks for the info the other day.
Forgot GT Reserve has this feature too and OP Unobtanium has the GT Reserve. I was wondering why the diagram on Anchorman posted TSB showing a totally different power folding mirror switch on CX-5?

Repair will be $730. In another 10 months, this would be out of pocket, had I not bought a big whackin warranty.
Worth.
It.

And thus is only 8 months in....

You have 17k miles. Why are you bringing up your extended warranty? When things like that fail, it's usually early.

These statements crack me up. How do you know this? Motorized stuff tends to fail later on. Power windows, power door locks, rotating headlights, power seats, etc....

Last edited:
I'm glad I could humor you.

I take it that you are also one of the clever ones that is taking the warranty company to the cleaners? (dance)

That remains to be seen. I don't usually buy one, but seeing how my last CX5 had a transmission glitch at 72k miles I took one out this time, second transmission in that vehicle...I don't consider any car manufacturer deserving of total trust and loyalty like 20 years ago.

Last edited:
That remains to be seen. I don't usually buy one, but seeing how my last CX5 had a transmission glitch at 72k miles I took one out this time...I don't consider any car manufacturer deserving of total trust and loyalty like 20 years ago.

Things happen and you do what you think is right for you. This is the first vehicle I've purchased without an extended warranty. I finally realized that it's like gambling, where the house has the upper hand. But, sometimes you win! :)

These statements crack me up. How do you know this? Motorized stuff tends to fail later on. Power windows, power door locks, rotating headlights, power seats, etc....

Conventional wisdom is that electronics fail early, mechanical stuff fails later.

But anything can fail at any time of course. ;)

Which company did you feel that way about?

I look at Honda with the engine problems they're having, it's ridiculous telling people they have to change their oil under 3000 miles. Subaru/Toyota recalling 400,000 cars because of valve train problems on their joint venture. Mazda's really not doing it for me with CDA problems, they had a damn good SkyActive engine, turbo needs some time to prove reliability. Used to be the Jap companies built bulletproof engines. The reputation is of years gone buy.

I look at Honda with the engine problems they're having, it's ridiculous telling people they have to change their oil under 3000 miles. Subaru/Toyota recalling 400,000 cars because of valve train problems on their joint venture. Mazda's really not doing it for me with CDA problems, they had a damn good SkyActive engine, turbo needs some time to prove reliability. Used to be the Jap companies built bulletproof engines. The reputation is of years gone buy.

Me, too. Used to swear by Honda. Now people swear AT Honda.

I will try washing the gap while operating the mirror to see if it can be flushed. It stands to reason it might can be.

Uno - who is your extended warranty underwritten by? and if you don't mind roughly what are the terms and apprx. how much was it.

Uno - who is your extended warranty underwritten by? and if you don't mind roughly what are the terms and apprx. how much was it.

I don't recall who. The terms are, if I get it repaired at my dealer, it's $0 out of pocket, and it covers everything but rotors, pads, wipers, belts, body/suspension bumpers, and speakers. It is 10 years, 150K miles, and cost me $2400. If I go out of my dealer to get it fixed, it is $200. I asked the dealer what happens if it becomes a dispute between them and the warranty company, and they said they will eat it and my car will be fixed, regardless. Considering they at a $2800 diff on my last CX5 when I flooded it, I am inclined to believe they stand by their word.

I don't recall who. The terms are, if I get it repaired at my dealer, it's $0 out of pocket, and it covers everything but rotors, pads, wipers, belts, body/suspension bumpers, and speakers. It is 10 years, 150K miles, and cost me $2400. If I go out of my dealer to get it fixed, it is $200. I asked the dealer what happens if it becomes a dispute between them and the warranty company, and they said they will eat it and my car will be fixed, regardless. Considering they at a $2800 diff on my last CX5 when I flooded it, I am inclined to believe they stand by their word.

It's strange because last week the finance guy at the dealer didn't even mention extended warranty. In fact he just listed a few things like ceramic coat, etc., I said "No Thanks" and that was the end of that discussion. I wish Mazda offered an extended warranty like HondaCare.

Things happen and you do what you think is right for you. This is the first vehicle I've purchased without an extended warranty. I finally realized that it's like gambling, where the house has the upper hand. But, sometimes you win! :)

That's a good explanation.

They wouldn't sell them if they weren't expecting them, at least on average, to be significantly profitable. There is so much margin in these, that the house is taking little risk.

I prefer to be the house and self-insure as often as possible.

I dodged 2 bullets when I bought my Reserve:

1-I went out certain I was gonna buy a CR-V because of the Honda rep. On advice of a friend, I did research because of the newness of their engine, and as you stated, I found stories of people changing their oil as often as every 1,000 miles and their dealers calling it "normal under some circumstances."

2-I almost purchased a 2018 CX-5, not realizing it had new Cylinder Deactivation technology. Life circumstances caused me to wait until 2019 to buy, and then the turbo had been released. As I think about it, out of all the many, many reviews I read and test drive videos I watched, I don't recall CD ever being discussed. No one (that I recall) mentioned it or commented on it's seamless transition to/from or made the slightest reference to it.

Regarding the turbo "needing time to prove reliability." I thought that the CX-9 has had this same turbo in it for a while, no? I'm new to Mazda, so don't know how long the turbo's been around, and if the CX-5 has the exact same turbo as the CX-9.

It's strange because last week the finance guy at the dealer didn't even mention extended warranty. In fact he just listed a few things like ceramic coat, etc., I said "No Thanks" and that was the end of that discussion. I wish Mazda offered an extended warranty like HondaCare.

They do here in Canada.

I got mine for almost 50% off too.

They do here in Canada.

I got mine for almost 50% off too.

Mine was non negotiable. I even left without it the first time and had the whole deal finalized. Took the car, everything. I truly wasnt going to get it.. Came back later that day and got it.

I dodged 2 bullets when I bought my Reserve:

1-I went out certain I was gonna buy a CR-V because of the Honda rep. On advice of a friend, I did research because of the newness of their engine, and as you stated, I found stories of people changing their oil as often as every 1,000 miles and their dealers calling it "normal under some circumstances."
IMO Honda's oil dilution issue on its 1.5T is a little over-exaggerated especially in warmer regions. I have several friends having CR-V 1.5T and none of them is experiencing oil dilution problem, and they have never changed the oil early. I won't get another CR-V, even though my current CR-V is so reliable for 21 years, is because I personally don't like the current design trend from Honda, as well as CVT and turbo.

2-I almost purchased a 2018 CX-5, not realizing it had new Cylinder Deactivation technology. Life circumstances caused me to wait until 2019 to buy, and then the turbo had been released. As I think about it, out of all the many, many reviews I read and test drive videos I watched, I don't recall CD ever being discussed. No one (that I recall) mentioned it or commented on it's seamless transition to/from or made the slightest reference to it.
You should visit Mazdas247 earlier when you're considering the 2018 CX-5. Like you I was planning to get our second CX-5 in 2018 but cancelled my purchase because Mazda out of the nowhere announced they has added cylinder deactivation feature in SkyActiv-G 2.5L. At the time me and several others were complaining here about the stupidness by Mazda of adding a complicated system with historically bad reputation for very minimum 0~1 mpg gain!

Regarding the turbo "needing time to prove reliability." I thought that the CX-9 has had this same turbo in it for a while, no? I'm new to Mazda, so don't know how long the turbo's been around, and if the CX-5 has the exact same turbo as the CX-9.
Yeah if I really want a Mazda, 2.5T is the only engine I can accept as it's been on the market for 3+ years on 2nd-gen CX-9.

Last edited:
Back