Diesel CX5 has landed in the USA

Diesel's already $.50/gal. higher then reg and according to this article it's poised for another $.65 rise in '20. With a 35% price premium for fuel, a $4k price premium over sticker price and a mere 20% best case MPG increase what's Mazda going to do with this inventory? They're going to need about a $10k rebate incentive to move them and then pull the plug.

Hate to see such a large failure for a small manufacturer like Mazda.

And the change is coming quickly: On Jan. 1, 2020, the International Maritime Organization will implement a cap on global sulfur emissions for marine fuels, causing many ship operators to switch from the high-sulfur bunker fuel oil they use today to more environmentally friendly fuels, such as marine gas oil and very low-sulfur fuel oil.

Ship operators can also opt to install scrubbers on board to remove sulfur from heavy fuel or convert ships to burning liquid natural gas, but both these options are more expensive and difficult than simply switching to a low-sulfur fuel.

Therein lies the potential worry for operators of turbine aircraft (and owners of diesel vehicles) as refiners struggle to meet the massive production demand for low-sulfur maritime fuel.

As the IMO 2020 rule causes ship operators to abandon heavy fuels in favor of distillate fuels (which constitute diesel and jet-A), prices are expected to rise sharply, and immediately. The U.S. Energy Information Administration has predicted a rise of 65 cents per gallon for diesel after Jan. 1, 2020.

This will surely need steep discounts to move. 42,000 for a Diesel when you can buy a Turbo 2.5L for 7,000 less or a NA 2.5L for 15,000 less. Even if it got 40MPG, which it definitely does not, why would anyone buy it at anywhere near that price?

Last edited:
So well done those that have no debt but as the moderators stopped me dead on lately, back on topic.

Mazda bring out a new CX5 with a forthcoming diesel and hooray, they are a brave cutting edge forward thinking company.

Mazda delay the introduction and they are terrible because they broke their promise.

Mazda keep their promise and launch the diesel to respond to criticism but now they*re bad again because it doesn*t benefit anybody who isn*t a high mileage driver.

Can*t win really can they? Despite it being no different than Other manufacturers that at least give the option, despite it being of interest to fleet users and despite it being much cleaner than the gasoline version (but that*s political and stands a chance of getting the thread locked by those that don*t want to hear it).

They said the mileage would be competitive with hybrids. The mileage is competitive with the 2.5 NA.

So well done those that have no debt but as the moderators stopped me dead on lately, back on topic.

Mazda bring out a new CX5 with a forthcoming diesel and hooray, they are a brave cutting edge forward thinking company.

Mazda delay the introduction and they are terrible because they broke their promise.

Mazda keep their promise and launch the diesel to respond to criticism but now they*re bad again because it doesn*t benefit anybody who isn*t a high mileage driver.

Can*t win really can they? Despite it being no different than Other manufacturers that at least give the option, despite it being of interest to fleet users and despite it being much cleaner than the gasoline version (but that*s political and stands a chance of getting the thread locked by those that don*t want to hear it).

People don't think they kept their promise though. The MPG numbers posted are far and away from what people expected. And the price premium for diesel is a bit ridiculous. I guess we'll see how things turn out, but so far it's execution was not living up to people's initial expectations.

People don't think they kept their promise though. The MPG numbers posted are far and away from what people expected. And the price premium for diesel is a bit ridiculous. I guess we'll see how things turn out, but so far it's execution was not living up to people's initial expectations.

Yes I agree and they didn*t do themselves any good by not updating on the delay. I think the mpg will turn out pretty good for those doing high mileage but we*ll have to await some feedback.

Yes I agree and they didn*t do themselves any good by not updating on the delay. I think the mpg will turn out pretty good for those doing high mileage but we*ll have to await some feedback.

Yeah the EPA numbers basically put it on par with the NA, so if that's what gets printed on window stickers....well we'll see. One certainly wonders how those piss poor numbers will compare to real world data, because it really makes no sense for the diesel.

Do newer Euro CX-5 diesels have to use AdBlue urea DEF?

I thought the North America market would benefit with a cheaper 2.0 Turbo model for mid (Touring) trims.

Maybe these will be collectible 50 years in the future. Rarer than a Ferrari F40.

W3ljlBg.jpg

Do newer Euro CX-5 diesel*s have to use AdBlue urea DEF?

Yes, mine does. I was talking to a development engineer for a vehicle manufacturer and asked him why the DEF/SCR system was added to our CX5s when the already meet Euro 6. He said there are ongoing requirements of the legislation and that now it is from *turn of the key to turn of the key* in other words, previously it only had to meet under certain conditions but now it is at any time the engine is running. The legislation gets tighter and tighter within Euro 6.

I*ve just ordered some more Adblue so it has used about 6 litres in 6000 miles although the gauge has always read full. It*s mainly water and isn*t animal pee as often misquoted, it*s the same chemical composition and is factory made. It*s cheap to buy but you need at least one bottle with the dosing nozzle as it can be overfilled in which case it throws up a fault message *go to dealer*. The proper nozzle forms a spill proof seal and won*t allow overfilling. Bulk liquid can then be decanted into the filling bottle.

That's an understatement. I signed up on their website for updates and didn't get one single communication about the diesel CX-5, to this day. What I did get was some crap about the Mazda 6, about which I have zero interest. That was insult to injury.

Yes, mine does. I was talking to a development engineer for a vehicle manufacturer and asked him why the DEF/SCR system was added to our CX5s when the already meet Euro 6. He said there are ongoing requirements of the legislation and that now it is from *turn of the key to turn of the key* in other words, previously it only had to meet under certain conditions but now it is at any time the engine is running. The legislation gets tighter and tighter within Euro 6.
I*ve just ordered some more Adblue so it has used about 6 litres in 6000 miles although the gauge has always read full. It*s mainly water and isn*t animal pee as often misquoted, it*s the same chemical composition and is factory made. It*s cheap to buy but you need at least one bottle with the dosing nozzle as it can be overfilled in which case it throws up a fault message *go to dealer*. The proper nozzle forms a spill proof seal and won*t allow overfilling. Bulk liquid can then be decanted into the filling bottle.
Thanks for detailed info on Euro diesel CX-5 and AdBlue urea DEF. At least AdBlue now is so much cheaper than before, the cost of using it is almost a non-issue.

The EPA MPG ratings, 28/27/30 combined/city/highway, on 2018 CX-5 2.2L diesel AWD, and again the same on 2019 CX-5 2.2L diesel AWD, especially the highway rating, are really a mystery to me. And we usually won't see EPA MPG ratings which are too far off from real world experience. 30 mpg on highway for a diesel is simply a killer for sales.

Thanks for detailed info on Euro diesel CX-5 and AdBlue urea DEF. At least AdBlue now is so much cheaper than before, the cost of using it is almost a non-issue.

The EPA MPG ratings, 28/27/30 combined/city/highway, on 2018 CX-5 2.2L diesel AWD, and again the same on 2019 CX-5 2.2L diesel AWD, especially the highway rating, are really a mystery to me. And we usually won't see EPA MPG ratings which are too far off from real world experience. 30 mpg on highway for a diesel is simply a killer for sales.

I dunno, my CX5 (2015) was rated at 30mpg highway, and it averaged 3-4mpg less than that on road trips. My 2019 CX5 is rated at 27mpg, and I see 1-1.5mpg better than that.

My 2015 was rated at 26mpg combined, and I saw 23.5-24.5. My 2019 is rated at 24 combined, and I see 26.5-29.5.

If we take that spread, that's 5-6mpg.

*Same highway trip, same daily commute.

When I sold BMWs, we had the i3 in 2014 and 2015. It was uncompetitive even when new with a mere ~75 mile BEV range, and the asking price was over 40,000 dollars, for a very small car. They all went out the door as leases with fake residuals to keep payments artificially low, just so BMW could move the things and get some miles on the fleet. I expect Mazda will do something similar with the lease programs to move these.

When I sold BMWs, we had the i3 in 2014 and 2015. It was uncompetitive even when new with a mere ~75 mile BEV range, and the asking price was over 40,000 dollars, for a very small car. They all went out the door as leases with fake residuals to keep payments artificially low, just so BMW could move the things and get some miles on the fleet. I expect Mazda will do something similar with the lease programs to move these.

I'm honestly just appalled at it. Its shameful. Like showing up to a powerlifting meet and squatting 315# lifting in the 100kg class after running your mouth for 3 years and posting bad cropped mirror pix of yourself and then blaming mandatory drug testing for your limp performance.

I'm honestly just appalled at it. Its shameful. Like showing up to a powerlifting meet and squatting 315# lifting in the 100kg class after running your mouth for 3 years and posting bad cropped mirror pix of yourself and then blaming mandatory drug testing for your limp performance.

Your posts using gun and now powerlifting references crack me up. Because both have been long time interests and participation so I get what you are saying when you use them. Made me smile to read this.

I just wonder how many in the US are now moving toward considering hybrid or full electric if not gas? I would be in that category and have been impressed by some of the full electric cars from various car manufacturers. So it seems like it would be difficult in the demographics of the US to try to wave a "we have diesel shiny object" over here and another is waving "we have full electric with 300+ mile range on a single charge object" over there. The electric seems to get my attention first. I understand Europe and other countries have a different perspective.

I am another one that had Mazda brought the diesel when they first claimed it may have sold a few, but now it seems like it is old news when the new news is electric/hybrid performance. I must admit that I am still not fully on board with that either, but I am warming up to it. Especially after watching more videos on what is coming to the market soon.

Back