2019 Mazda CX-5 vs. 2019 Toyota RAV4 (Car&Driver)

Cali is insane. Colorado is going that way much to my dismay.

Don't feel too bad. They're going up everywhere; if they haven't yet, they will soon enough. It hurts, but there's no end in sight.
Want roads and bridges? Somebody has to pay for them.

Don't feel too bad. They're going up everywhere; if they haven't yet, they will soon enough. It hurts, but there's no end in sight.
Want roads and bridges? Somebody has to pay for them.
Somebody is already paying, they just decide to not spend the money on roads here and paint a story of "need moar $$$".

Somebody is already paying, they just decide to not spend the money on roads here and paint a story of "need moar $$$".

^^^THIS^^^

But we're supposed to feel better if the new tax is dedicated to a specific need.

Maybe we'll get a "Road Repair Lock Box." They can have it keyed like the lock box for Social Security.

Here in Virginia they have floated the idea of a per-mile-driven tax, since electric vehicles don't pay the road repair taxes that are assessed at the pump. Of course, this involves installing a monitoring device on our vehicles "to track our miles." Purely benign...This won't hurt a bit...Trust us... It also [intentionally] punishes those of us who live in spread-out rural areas for having the audacity to reject congested city life.

This idea got rejected, but it will be back.

We already pay a sales tax at time of vehicle purchase (new or used), plus an annual registration fee to keep our tags current, plus an annual safety & emissions inspection fee, PLUS Annual Personal Property Tax on cars/boats/trailers/etc. (real estate gets its own tax.) My county is trying to raise the Personal Property Tax Rate from 1.9% of FMV to 3% of FMV (Annual PP Tax on a $40,000 car would go from $760 to $1,200).

Add all this to the state & Federal road tax paid at the pump, and there's STILL no money for repairs. Huh. It must have been spent on "the children," along with those lottery proceeds.

So much to seethe about and so little time....

Anyway...back on topic...I'm glad I found out the CR-V had oil dilution issues, not only because I dodged a horrible bullet, but because it pointed me to the CX-5. The RAV-4 was briefly on my radar screen but did not compare to the CX-5 in appointments or driveability.

Last edited:
So much to seethe about and so little time....

Yup, that's just the way it is. No use complaining.

You can try to influence your legislators, but good luck with that.

Just don't feel singled out, cause it's not just Colorado and California and Virginia.

The fact remains, if things don't get paid for, they don't get done.

BTW, I have no answer to this problem.

You can try to influence your legislators, but good luck with that.

The state legislature in Virginia is not in session on the MLK holiday (near the kickoff the new session), and lots of their constituents have the day off, so the legislators show up for an Open House. It's informally called Lobby Your Legislator Day. I'm with a group that shows up every year for our cause, and we split up into groups and get eyeball-to-eyeball with every single one of them to discuss our positions. We also talk to each of our own legislators regarding our individual concerns.

Getting face time does make a difference, even if you don't always get what you want. You gotta set expectations. And if they're not on board with your position, they have to explain why to your face so you get a chance to address their thought process.

Last edited:
Guys are making me happy I live in Ohio. It's $60 registration. Didn't matter how much it costs.

Guys are making me happy I live in Ohio. It's $60 registration. Didn't matter how much it costs.

No annual Personal Property Tax on cars/boats/motorcycles/etc?

Virginia's registration is a flat $60 as well, but then we have that high-dollar annual tax-of-ownership on top of it. We also have a real estate tax for houses, buildings & land.

No annual Personal Property Tax on cars/boats/motorcycles/etc?

Virginia's registration is a flat $60 as well, but then we have that high-dollar annual tax-of-ownership on top of it. We also have a real estate tax for houses, buildings & land.

Many places don't. They have nasty property taxes or bad roads or both in exchange.

Many places don't. They have nasty property taxes or bad roads or both in exchange.

Yeh, it's something that gets taken in totality:

-Real estate taxes/rates
-Personal property taxes/rates
-Sales taxes/rates
-Income taxes/rates

One way or another, they get their piece of us.

No, we have none of that.
My property taxes are low for this area. I live in the city. The 'burbs get taxed a bit heavy.
Roads do suck though. Driving down my street is like driving on the moon. [emoji1787]

Last edited:
No, we have none of that.
My property taxes are low for this area. I live in the city. The 'burbs get taxed a bit heavy.
Roads do such though. Driving down my street is like driving on the moon. [emoji1787]

I live in a very rural county. When I first came here and the real estate agent led me down some of the gravel roads, I thought we were cutting through someone's farm. They go on for miles like that through my county and well into the next one. But that's by design...

You need personalized tags: LEM-1

Little off topic. I*m waiting for my 2019 Signature to arrive (supposedly next week). However, my dealer has 2 2018 GT with Premium Package leftovers. If I got a *great deal* on the 2018, would I be sorry that I didn*t go with the. turbo? I*m hoping to keep the Turbo 6 plus years - I would trade the GT is 3 or 4 years. Asking if you guys are happy witht the N.A. engine. I*m always examine options, even if it isn*t exactly wNt. Balance cost with better performance. And many guys here seem to like their non turbo cars. Thoughts?

Little off topic. I*m waiting for my 2019 Signature to arrive (supposedly next week). However, my dealer has 2 2018 GT with Premium Package leftovers. If I got a *great deal* on the 2018, would I be sorry that I didn*t go with the. turbo? I*m hoping to keep the Turbo 6 plus years - I would trade the GT is 3 or 4 years. Asking if you guys are happy witht the N.A. engine. I*m always examine options, even if it isn*t exactly wNt. Balance cost with better performance. And many guys here seem to like their non turbo cars. Thoughts?

I asked this same question and read lots of related comments here as I was making the same decision you are. I had myself convinced I was going to buy the NA because so many here are happy with theirs, and they commented that the extra power was--in most instances--unnecessary in their opinion.

I drove to the dealer fully intending to ink a contract for a 2018 NA because I did not think I needed the power or to spend the money. I really prefer cloth seats, and the folding mirrors are of minimal use to me. When I arrived, I told the sales guy that "As long as I'm here, I may as well drive the turbo." I got out on the interstate, barely put my foot into it to pass people, and flew by them effortlessly. Smooth as silk and quiet as can be. From 70 to 90 in the blink of an eye, I felt as though I were barely moving. I was sold.

Until I moved to this sparsely populated area with its "No Posted Speed Limit" roads, I lived in northern Virginia right out side of DC. Had I still lived there, I probably would have gone with the NA engine. I would have no use for the turbo there. Heck, there would have been no way to even try it unless I did the test drive at 2AM.

Most of the main roads where I now live are 55 MPH hilly single lane roads with a few areas to pass (by going into the oncoming lane). I get around the slow guys, back in my lane, and out of the way of oncoming cars easily and stress-free. Basically, I get utility out of the turbo in my routine drives because of the conditions here.

The other thing to consider are the issues that some folks are having with the Cylinder Deactivation. Here's the thread on it. On the other hand, others have had cold weather "lack of power" issues with the turbo. I've only had mine since March, and I don't live in a cold climate, so I cannot comment. I can't find that thread for you to read. I think the discussion is buried in an unrelated topic.

Lol @ LEM1

Re: Turbo. I love Turbo cars. Between my wife and I we have had 6. She still currently has one but it's an LPT.
(baby turbo)
Current CX5 is my first not turbo in a very long time. And I love it. Can't be afraid to stomp on it. But...

I drove the turbo. And I'd recommend it for a spirited driver. If I was buying today it would be that one.

Last edited:

I drive a 2018 gt tech for 4 days while I was buying my 2019 GTR. Youd hate yourself if you later drove a gtr or sig and had settled on the nonturbo.

Lol @ LEM1

I love Turbo cars
If I was buying today it would be that one.

Youd hate yourself if you later drove a gtr or sig and had settled on the nonturbo.

+2
I love my NA, but would never choose it over the turbo.
But if you don't care about acceleration, the NA will suit you just fine.
And remember, the 18 has cylinder deactivation....

It*s settled. I*ll stick with the Turbo.... thanks for all the feedback and not letting me make a decision I would regret every time I drove it. And - I didn*t even think about the cylinder deactivation as several of you pointed out.

It*s settled. I*ll stick with the Turbo.... thanks for all the feedback and not letting me make a decision I would regret every time I drove it. And - I didn*t even think about the cylinder deactivation as several of you pointed out.

It's worth it. Without the turbo, the cx5 is just anothet good cuv. With it, its absolutely exceptional in its price bracket.

I drive a 2018 gt tech for 4 days while I was buying my 2019 GTR. Youd hate yourself if you later drove a gtr or sig and had settled on the nonturbo.

Thats the truth. We leased a 2018 CX5 before the turbo came out and when I drove the turbo later that year I was like, mannnnnnnnnn. Its a totally different car.

Back