Auto-dimming mirror

mox44ah

:
2018 CX-5 GT
Can someone smarter than me help me figure out this damn automatic mirror? How do you adjust it manually? When I'm driving in the morning, or in the afternoon when it's dusk, and the light sensor is saying that it is not dark enough to activate the auto-dimming function, how do I make it dim to reduce the glare of the headlights behind me? Short of just pushing the mirror to the side and eliminating the view altogether (which obviously is not safe) how do I manually activate the change in angle to reduce the glare? Unless I'm missing something, all I could find in the manual is a short write up on how to turn on and off the auto function.

Can someone smarter than me help me figure out this damn automatic mirror? How do you adjust it manually? When I'm driving in the morning, or in the afternoon when it's dusk, and the light sensor is saying that it is not dark enough to activate the auto-dimming function, how do I make it dim to reduce the glare of the headlights behind me? Short of just pushing the mirror to the side and eliminating the view altogether (which obviously is not safe) how do I manually activate the change in angle to reduce the glare? Unless I'm missing something, all I could find in the manual is a short write up on how to turn on and off the auto function.

There's no manual dimming adjustment on the auto mirror - only the on/off button. My other car also has an auto mirror - works the same way.

There's no manual dimming adjustment on the auto mirror - only the on/off button. My other car also has an auto mirror - works the same way.

What!? Why would they do that? So there is no way to dim the mirror when some asshole is behind me with his brights on in the morning?

It should be doing it automatically.

Your mirror may be malfunctioning, or be turned off.

To test the mirror:
- make sure it's on
- cover the ambient light sensor in the front of your mirror with your finger (to simulate it being night out).
- shine a flashlight into the light sensor in the mirror facing the rear of the vehicle
- the mirror should dim. If it doesn't, try pressing power and repeating. If it still doesn't, she broken.

It should be doing it automatically.

Your mirror may be malfunctioning, or be turned off.

To test the mirror:
- make sure it's on
- cover the ambient light sensor in the front of your mirror with your finger (to simulate it being night out).
- shine a flashlight into the light sensor in the mirror facing the rear of the vehicle
- the mirror should dim. If it doesn't, try pressing power and repeating. If it still doesn't, she broken.

+1 on this advice!

also never had any issues with auto dimming mirrors, been working pretty consistently day and night,
only time i would turn them off is if it goes too dim at night and I need to see something.

It won*t dim in the daylight, that is the achilles heel with the damn things and when you get white van man right up your rear end, you have to put up with his confounded headlights. There is only one work around and that is a bit of tape over that light sensor on the windshield side. It will be permanently dark, even in the daylight but you can adjust the tape to let a tiny bit of light through and have it semi-dimmed. If you*re really inventive, you*ll make a slide over door.

Instead of making one, and if that enabling the dimmer in the daylight is the resolution to your problem, I'd suggest sticking a webcam cover over the front light sensor to enable / disable in daylight. Just don't forget about it at night time.

51KLJPQXAtL._SX425_.jpg

I've only ever had an issue with an auto mirror in one of my vehicles, and it wasn't even the mirror. It was a faulty harness that connected to the mirror causing intermittent connection issue.

Instead of making one, and if that enabling the dimmer in the daylight is the resolution to your problem, I'd suggest sticking a webcam cover over the front light sensor to enable / disable in daylight. Just don't forget about it at night time.

51KLJPQXAtL._SX425_.jpg

I've only ever had an issue with an auto mirror in one of my vehicles, and it wasn't even the mirror. It was a faulty harness that connected to the mirror causing intermittent connection issue.
That would be perfect.

Latest posts

Back