2016 CX-5 rear brakes...Maintenance mode?

I don*t know why, they appear to upload fine.

Could you please try uploading those pdf's again? Thank you.
I have the 2016 cx-9 awd...I am assuming it also has the maint mode to go to before retracting the rear caliper piston?

..trying to do the rear pads and a brake fluid change at the same time in the 2016 cx-9 awd. Going to first change rear passenger pads and then add new brake fluid and push out old fluid from that caliper (by using a motive bleeder) and then do the driver side rear pads and brake fluid bleed there. then front pass side bleed and driver side bleed. No need to change front pads -- only the rears.

This is the first time doing these on the 2016 cx-9 awd. Anything to watch out for? Thank you guys.

(Didn't see a cx-9 thread on these. Please link me if there is one that I missed.)

Could you please try uploading those pdf's again? Thank you.
I have the 2016 cx-9 awd...I am assuming it also has the maint mode to go to before retracting the rear caliper piston?

..trying to do the rear pads and a brake fluid change at the same time in the 2016 cx-9 awd. Going to first change rear passenger pads and then add new brake fluid and push out old fluid from that caliper (by using a motive bleeder) and then do the driver side rear pads and brake fluid bleed there. then front pass side bleed and driver side bleed. No need to change front pads -- only the rears.

This is the first time doing these on the 2016 cx-9 awd. Anything to watch out for? Thank you guys.

(Didn't see a cx-9 thread on these. Please link me if there is one that I missed.)
Before Anchorman can re-upload his pdf files, here is a related thread you can review. CX-9 should have similar procedures and you should try the maintenance mode for rear brakes. Just make sure don't turn the rear caliper piston like other rear disc brakes.

Maintenance Mode for 2016/2017 CX-5 electronic brakes

Thanks yrwei52. I had glanced over that thread before and am glad I read the whole thing now after your link.

Thanks to these forums, I was able to replace rear pads on 2016 cx 9 Thank You!!

I can confirm getting into and out of Maintenance mode works the same on 2016 cx9 awd (followed the procedure posted here)

Also of note:
Only retract piston just enough to fit the new pads. Then if the piton notch is not at the correct alignment, then you won't be able to close the caliper (because it will hit the button (raised) on the back of the pad) and then you can make the slight rotation to correct alignment.
(If the piston is pushed in more than necessary to the point there is too much of a gap... then you may not realize misalignment of the piston notch and the bump on the pad back. I've read in the other thread (I think) that someone had issues the pad bump getting hit by the piston notch. It could be that the piston notch was off alignment and that might have been the reason for that problem.

After getting out of Maintenance mode, pump brakes to get the piston to push the pads. Note: Instructions also say to pump brakes!!

Last edited:
Thanks to these forums, I was able to replace rear pads on 2016 cx 9 Thank You!!

I can confirm getting into and out of Maintenance mode works the same on 2016 cx9 awd (followed the procedure posted here)

Also of note:
Only retract piston just enough to fit the new pads. Then if the piton notch is not at the correct alignment, then you won't be able to close the caliper (because it will hit the button (raised) on the back of the pad) and then you can make the slight rotation to correct alignment.
(If the piston is pushed in more than necessary to the point there is too much of a gap... then you may not realize misalignment of the piston notch and the bump on the pad back. I've read in the other thread (I think) that someone had issues the pad bump getting hit by the piston notch. It could be that the piston notch was off alignment and that might have been the reason for that problem.

After getting out of Maintenance mode, pump brakes to get the piston to push the pads. Note: Instructions also say to pump brakes!!

I believe I read somewhere recently to pump the brakes PRIOR to getting out of maintenence mode ? pumping the brakes will advance the caliper notch straight to line up with and catch the rear brake pad pin bump within the rear caliper notch cavity. If you turn off maintenance mode before pumping the brakes , the e-brake motor will rotate the caliper and the notch won't be aligned with the brake pad pin anymore and it'll keep spinning for a long time.

I'm not sure which is right, see post #25 in link below and

my post #22 if notch doesn't line up exctaly you will get a clanking/metal snapping noise where the notch keeps slipping on the brake pin...

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123861563-Maintenance-Mode-for-2016-2017-CX-5-electronic-brakes/page2&highlight=maintenance+mode

Last edited:
blackcx5, yes I was referring to your post #22 in the other thread. Thanks for posting that and hope you fixed your brake issue without too much trouble.

Thanks to your post I had read that issue before doing mine. Just to be on the safe side, I also did press the brake pedal a few times BEFORE getting out of maintenance mode.

Anyway, in my case, I don't think pressing the brake pedal moved the piston to press pads against the rotor. I had checked before pressing the brake, I could rotate the rotor little bit back and forth as the pads were not pressed against the rotor. After pressing the brake a few times, it was still possible to move that rotor as before. So I didn't think pumping the brake pedal pushed the pistons -- I don't know why it did not..

(may be because I had disconnected the negative battery cable at the time. I don't know if that matters.) I don't understand. Also the pedal became very stiff and hard to push after couple of times.

Now I remember I also pressed the brake pedal few times after connecting the battery negative cable and before getting out of maintenance mode. Pedal was still stiff but I don't know at that time if the piston pushed the pads (I had put the wheels back on...so I don't know.) Pedal becomes normal feel when power is on.

Motor won't be able to rotate the piston if the bump on the pad is in the notch of the piston and there is no gap between the rotor and the pad. The bump on the back of the pad is may be 3 to 4 mm so unless there is at least such a gap, the motor can't put it out of alignment if it was already in the notch. That's the way I understand it.

Last edited:
My mechanic changed the rear brake pads on my 2016 CX-5 sport last July. He used the 1624 part # for the rear pads. Is this part # ok for th 2016 CX-5 Sport?

My mechanic changed the rear brake pads on my 2016 CX-5 sport last July. He used the 1624 part # for the rear pads. Is this part # ok for th 2016 CX-5 Sport?

I am not sure, but some websites say it's part number 1846.... anyone here know for sure?

Hi everyone. Not sure if I should make a new thread but maybe you can help me here.
I own a mazda cx-5 from november 2015. It has EPB

Recently I had my read disc brakes and pads changed at a local garage. The disc brakes were doing a lot of noise so probably they were overused.

While changing them the garage took almost a full day to change them because, according to them, the brakes were so damaged that the rear brakes were so hard to remove and it caused a problem with the EPB. Now my EPB is malfunctioning. In order to release it, I have to turn off the car and turn it on again. If you activate it, you cannot deactivate it until you turn on and off again.

Not only that but sometimes I smell a huge burnt smell, which I believe it means that they are partially activating while driving.

Is it possible that the garaged has not enter in maintenance mode and therefore damaged the pistons as described in this thread? Or maybe something different

Is the garage right and that was caused because the disc brakes were overused?

How do you believe that I should proceed with the conversations with the garage? They have told me that repair the EPB is about 400 pounds per each brake because they are expensive pieces.

Thank you very much for your help

Edit: This is the reply from the garage after I asked what problems they found.
We used mazda procedure to put the parking break in maintenance mode. The calipers went back correctly , however when exited maintenance mode the caliper keeps showing the parking brake warning. When put on the diagnostic machine it kept on showing the faults with the caliper actuators sticking.

We the received the procedure to put the parking brake mode from mazda dealers technical information.

Hi everyone. Not sure if I should make a new thread but maybe you can help me here.
I own a mazda cx-5 from november 2015. It has EPB

Recently I had my read disc brakes and pads changed at a local garage. The disc brakes were doing a lot of noise so probably they were overused.

While changing them the garage took almost a full day to change them because, according to them, the brakes were so damaged that the rear brakes were so hard to remove and it caused a problem with the EPB. Now my EPB is malfunctioning. In order to release it, I have to turn off the car and turn it on again. If you activate it, you cannot deactivate it until you turn on and off again.

Not only that but sometimes I smell a huge burnt smell, which I believe it means that they are partially activating while driving.

Is it possible that the garaged has not enter in maintenance mode and therefore damaged the pistons as described in this thread? Or maybe something different

Is the garage right and that was caused because the disc brakes were overused?

How do you believe that I should proceed with the conversations with the garage? They have told me that repair the EPB is about 400 pounds per each brake because they are expensive pieces.

Thank you very much for your help

Edit: This is the reply from the garage after I asked what problems they found.
We used mazda procedure to put the parking break in maintenance mode. The calipers went back correctly , however when exited maintenance mode the caliper keeps showing the parking brake warning. When put on the diagnostic machine it kept on showing the faults with the caliper actuators sticking.

We the received the procedure to put the parking brake mode from mazda dealers technical information.
I believe your rear disk brake problem could be either the garage didn’t put the EPB in Maintenance Mode at first, or they rotated the caliper piston, or could be both.

870783EB-78AA-49D6-9E64-588A1F9583A2.jpeg

It’s also possible your rear disk calipers already at fault with EPB dragging issue, and in this case you do need a pair of new revised rear calipers. Here’s the TSB which explains the problematic factory rear disk calipers and Mazda have to revise them to eliminate the problem:

TSB R052/16C: Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

See more discussions on EPB Maintenance Mode:

Maintenance Mode for 2016/2017 CX-5 electronic brakes

Last edited:

Dollars to donuts that the indie shop had little or no experience with newer Mazdas and the EPB system.
They'll never admit it of course, but they probably added to the original problem.

There's not a lot of Mazdas out there to begin with, and even less Mazdas out there that are less than five years old (with EPB) that need a rear brake job already.
If one of those comes into an independent repair shop, I'm willing to bet they've never seen one, and that they just jump in there without reading a manual, and just tear apart the rear brake system without knowing about the maintenance mode.
Most of these guys just revert to what they think they know, and try to push back the piston like they would in older calipers. "How hard can it be?"

For me, I think there's only two choices with rear brakes at this point in time: pay the money and have a dealer do it, or if you have the skills and pertinent knowledge, do it yourself.
The only way I would trust an indie shop with my newer Mazda to do a rear brake job is if I bring them a copy of the FSM pertaining to the rear brake replacement procedure.
I would remind them in particular on the maintenance mode requirements.
Even then, I'd be nervous.

Dollars to donuts that the indie shop had little or no experience with newer Mazdas and the EPB system.
They'll never admit it of course, but they probably added to the original problem.

There's not a lot of Mazdas out there to begin with, and even less Mazdas out there that are less than five years old (with EPB) that need a rear brake job already.
If one of those comes into an independent repair shop, I'm willing to bet they've never seen one, and that they just jump in there without reading a manual, and just tear apart the rear brake system without knowing about the maintenance mode.
Most of these guys just revert to what they think they know, and try to push back the piston like they would in older calipers. "How hard can it be?"

For me, I think there's only two choices with rear brakes at this point in time: pay the money and have a dealer do it, or if you have the skills and pertinent knowledge, do it yourself.
The only way I would trust an indie shop with my newer Mazda to do a rear brake job is if I bring them a copy of the FSM pertaining to the rear brake replacement procedure.
I would remind them in particular on the maintenance mode requirements.
Even then, I'd be nervous.
Any idea about how much would that usually be in a Mazda dealer?

I suppose that it will be quite hasta to find a garage with access to the revised parts

Any idea about how much would that usually be in a Mazda dealer?

I suppose that it will be quite hasta to find a garage with access to the revised parts
Hard to tell how much it’ll cost you at a Mazda dealer in UK. But in the US each rear calipers cost $173.92 / $176.54 USD (R / L) on list price. You need other parts such as motor seal kits and brake hose gaskets provided your EPB motors didn’t get damaged by the shop. Please read the TSB with the link provided above, and it explains the factory caliper problems in detail with parts list you need to fix the problem. If the shop did the brake job actually screwed up your rear brakes, you either have to fight with better knowledge, or go through consumer-right channels such as BBB in the US to complain. Or you just have to eat the money you’d spent, and find a better brake shop or a Mazda dealer to fix your rear brakes.

Here’s the parts list found in the TSB to fix the EPB dragging issue caused by problematic factory calipers:
D2C03296-19D2-46D5-BDB1-2994AA4044AF.jpeg

Any indie shops can get Mazda OEM parts, such as rear brake calipers, from any Mazda dealers or Mazda parts suppliers. Check the date code on the caliper to verify the latest version described in the TSB to avoid getting any left-over stock. And here’s the parts list with price for rear brake components from a US Mazda dealer:

2016 MAZDA CX-5 GRAND TOURING (4 CYL 2.5L -) BRAKE COMPONENTS

BTW, your 2015 CX-5 with EPB is 2016 CX-5 in the US.

Last edited:
Can somebody help me? While in maintenance mode and after brake pads changes I accidently hit start button with brake pedal applied. Now when want ot turn on ignition, there are no lights on dashboard. Only lights are on middle column (heated seets etc) and rear seat belts lights changing colours from green to red. I cannot do anything. How to exit that mode and go back to maintenance mode?

Update on this error. This is caused by low voltage. Charging battery is the answer.

Back