2016 CX-5 Key Fob Issues

JRM1022

:
2016 Mazda CX-5
My dad's 2016 CX-5 Touring has been having key fob issues for the past 2 or 3 months. It has the factory remote start as well which has also been having issues. The key fobs themselves go through batteries in about a month. We tried swapping one for the other, and put new batteries in both of them several times, and the batteries are dead in a month.

The other issue is the remote start will not work reliably. It is totally unpredictable. Sometimes it will work 5/5 times, other times, the fob will turn on, then when you press and hold the start button, the key fob just shuts off. Now that we are into the winter this is especially annoying.

The car is still under warranty, so it should be covered, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with their key fobs and/or remote start?

What kind of batteries are you putting in and where did you get them? There are lots of crummy cheap counterfeits out there.

The first ones were Energizer and the second set that just died were duracells from Sam's Club.

Do you keep the fobs very close to the car? Within 10 ft?
Or do you keep the keys in garage for example?

A month? That is absolutely not acceptable. Mine are over 2 years old on the original batteries.

A month? That is absolutely not acceptable. Mine are over 2 years old on the original batteries.

Yes, unfortunately that is not an exaggeration. It's been one month, give or take a week. And there is also the remote start issues.

My fob batteries are lasting 2 years. You must not touch the surfaces of the batteries as you install them. If you leave finger prints on the surface there will be battery leakage and shorten its life. Ed

While I don't really believe that, Ed, if true it certainly wouldn't make a 2 or 3 year battery last....a month.
You need to take this up with the dealer.

Last edited:
I keep my fobs inside the house when I park in the garage. I am currently going on 1.5 years with the original batteries - so far no issues. I'd have your remote/system looked at.

While I don't really believe that, Ed, if true it certainly wouldn't make a 2 or 3 year battery last....a month.
You need to take this up with the dealer.

I'll be going to the dealer this week. My dad and I really like this car overall, but it has had more issues in the first 6 months than my dad's last Toyota did in the first 4 years. First there was the issue with brake noise which was (mostly) resolved after several TSB revisions and several trips to the dealership. And now there are these issues. This car is a CPO with only 30k miles on it. There have been some other cosmetic issues as well that I've either ignored or fixed myself. There's a lot of things I like about the car, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed with all the issues.

Back