2017~2024 Oil change using a non-Skyactiv oil filter

I understand Mazda disallowed *Flexible* oil change schedule for 2016 CX-5 in Canada, is it still the case for 2018 MY?

If you can*t use Flexible OCI, then you may have to follow the *Fixed* OCI specified in the ownee*s manual, just for warranty purpose although I believe changing oil at 2100 KM is too early, waste of money, and not good to our environment.

from what i remember in the manual (dont have it on my at this moment) there was no mention of the flexible option for canada so my assumption is that is not available no. In the 2018 manual US/Mexico intervals are 8000km or 1 yr but Canada is 8000km or 6 months. agree with everything you've stated in terms of the negatives. but i guess i have no choice if i want to be safe re warranty.

from what i remember in the manual (dont have it on my at this moment) there was no mention of the flexible option for canada so my assumption is that is not available no. In the 2018 manual US/Mexico intervals are 8000km or 1 yr but Canada is 8000km or 6 months. agree with everything you've stated in terms of the negatives. but i guess i have no choice if i want to be safe re warranty.
Actually in US we have "Flexible" oil change interval set as the default from factory. For 2016 CX-5 the Flexible OCI can be up to 10,000 miles or 12 months. But Mazda changed the Flexible OCI for gen-2 CX-5 (including 2018) to be up to 7,500 miles or 12 months.

Actually in US we have "Flexible" oil change interval set as the default from factory. For 2016 CX-5 the Flexible OCI can be up to 10,000 miles or 12 months. But Mazda changed the Flexible OCI for gen-2 CX-5 (including 2018) to be up to 7,500 miles or 12 months.

I noticed that too. Any opinions / thoughts on why the change from 16 to 17 ? (10,000 to 7,500) ?

I've recently changed the oil in my 2107 CX-5 GT using a FRAM XG6607 oil filter. A few weeks after changing the oil I started researching the suitable filter for Skyactiv engine and I found that we should only used OEM filters or the ones specifically made for this engine such as WIX 57002. This started to concern me a bit and now I'm wondering whether I should replace the filter or wait for the next oil change.
Any opinions? What do you guy think?
Answering your thread and the question:

Oil filters has thousand of none expert/internet experts.

I sent a PM to avoid all the "experts" rebutting my comments about oil filters. :)

I stopped in at my Mazda dealer and bought a filter and gasket for $8.25 + .55 tax. It is a 1WPE-14-302 made in Thailand. Looking at my receipt, I don't see the plug gasket listed. I wonder if he threw it in for free.

I stopped in at my Mazda dealer and bought a filter and gasket for $8.25 + .55 tax. It is a 1WPE-14-302 made in Thailand. Looking at my receipt, I don't see the plug gasket listed. I wonder if he threw it in for free.
$8.25 is the MSRP for 1WPE-14-302 oil filter from Thailand which is made by Denso. Most dealers sell parts at the MSRP. Drain plug washer which usually costs at least 50 cents sometimes is free with filter purchase if the parts guy is having a good mood.

I do 5,000 mile oil changes with Mazda Moly and Wix 57002 oil filter. So far, so good. Put over 60,000 miles on SkyActiv engine.

Back