2019 XC40 vs 2019 CX-5 Signature

Or instead of a windshield its a 65 TV displaying forward camera feed. Could be cool for night vision!

Last edited:
The volvo vents are ugly. I like the "simple", what I'd call elegant clean look of the Mazda. The screen is a bit of a tack on, but I believe that is for safety and useability. It's the only one that is nearly higher than the steering wheel and most of the dash of the ones posted in this thread.

So you can see the road while you are looking at the screen, or at least don't have to glance as far away.

We're in agreement. I've posted about the orientation of the screen a couple of times recently - I like where it is. I just don't like the tacked-on look.

Hopefully this explains it better..

This is the "tacked-on" screen look in my CX-9. Screen looks like it was pushed up from underneath through a hole in the dash. The dash doesn't contour to it at all, making it look like an afterthought.

2019-Mazda-CX-9-Signature-red-and-black-interior_o.jpg

This is the screen in the Gen2 CX-5. It looks better as the dash contours around the base of the screen and looks like there is a bit of "support" behind the screen, thus making it look a little more at home.

mazda-cx-5-is-fully--37_800x0w.jpg

This is what I would like to see, and is what I meant when I said that I'd like to see the screen "enclosed" by the dash (pardon the quick and dirty edit).

attachment.php

It's just a personal thing for me, really.

We're in agreement. I've posted about the orientation of the screen a couple of times recently - I like where it is. I just don't like the tacked-on look.

This is the "tacked-on" screen look in my CX-9. Screen looks like it was pushed up from underneath through a hole in the dash. The dash doesn't contour to it at all, making it look like an afterthought.

This is the screen in the Gen2 CX-5. It looks better as the dash contours around the base of the screen and looks like there is a bit of "support" behind the screen, thus making it look a little more at home.

This is what I would like to see, and is what I meant when I said that I'd like to see the screen "enclosed" by the dash (pardon the quick and dirty edit).

attachment.php

View attachment 220120

Interesting. I feel like most would consider a thin screen more premium.

I agree. The tablet sitting on top of a dash look is pretty ugly imo.

But seems many like that it is easier to move your eyes too from the road.

I rather have it stick out and be very thin (like a laptop) than have it integrated with a bulky backing.

One thing that bothers me a bit with car manufacturers is the placement of the infotainment straight on. I wish they'd give have an option to tilt a little bit to the drivers side or if fixed, make it angle more towards the driver.

I rather have it stick out and be very thin (like a laptop) than have it integrated with a bulky backing.

I agree. I think it looks more premium the way it is than if they added the backing to it. It looks like an only CRT monitor with the backing.

One thing that bothers me a bit with car manufacturers is the placement of the infotainment straight on. I wish they'd give have an option to tilt a little bit to the drivers side or if fixed, make it angle more towards the driver.

Its angled in the VW. The new 3 looks angled to me in the pictures also.

attachment.php

View attachment 220120

Wow. The CX5 G2 looks good. Agree 100% on the CX9.

The Golden Ratio.
Symmetry.
We are very much appreciative of symmetry in all things, as a species. The biggest ode to this in the automotive world has to be the 1999-2004 Mustang dash, and before you talk s***, this is the vehicle that was 100hp less powerful than its counterpart (GM F-body) but still buried it in sales and led to it dying off until a decade later nearly...

MVC-272F.JPG

Tesla is kindof "sample of 1". Jeep has seemed predictive for 20+ years. How long has Tesla been making cars?

Ok you posted a Jeep with a slightly larger screen. They were not the first to do that. What other thing did they predict? I guess Im not following.

Ok you posted a Jeep with a slightly larger screen. They were not the first to do that. What other thing did they predict? I guess I*m not following.

I dunno, I just know that noone offers what Jeep did back in 2012, hardly, except for some of the much more expensive brands. They seem like they are always a decade ahead in the "features" department.

Being very well versed in the modern Jeep dash it isn't horrible by any means. But it's not great. Its too far for a tall man to reach comfortably is my big beef with it. And I hate not having buttons, actual buttons, for heated seat.
But it does let you customize it more then anyone else, including BMW (maybe Audi but not sure). You can pick most of the icons you want in the main screen. I think this is why its almost universally praised. I do like how there are 12 wallpapers to choose from. A lot of companies do that.

The Golden Ratio.
Symmetry.
We are very much appreciative of symmetry in all things, as a species. The biggest ode to this in the automotive world has to be the 1999-2004 Mustang dash, and before you talk s***, this is the vehicle that was 100hp less powerful than its counterpart (GM F-body) but still buried it in sales and led to it dying off until a decade later nearly...

MVC-272F.JPG

WOW! At least the gear lever is angled to the driver side (yes)

Yea I cant tell on the new 3 if its actually angled or if its just the angle of the dash underneath.

Back