Questions - Prospective buyer - Touring or GT?

BruT-804

:
Non-Mazda
I've looked and drove an '18 AWD Touring with the preferred package - I'm very impressed with how it drove & the quality feel of the interior.

I'm debating between the Touring & GT - If I went with the GT I definitely wouldn't need the Premium Pkg with heated rear seats etc.

Other than Leather seats are there any other significant benefits with the GT over the Touring with the Preferred Pkg?

Mazda's website doesn't make it easy to compare the trims feature for feature like some manufacturers.

Also - any thoughts about waiting for a 19 vs grabbing a deal on an 18? I'm not interested in the Turbo - out of my price range I'm afraid.
Seems like I could save quite a bit on an 18, since 19's are coming very soon.

Thanks for any insights -
Bruce

Going for the GT Premium or waiting for the 19 in a similar trim package is really going for wants over needs.

Its a really personal choice and Im not sure youre going to find consensus here if thats what youre going for.

I believe that the GT gives you motorized seats on the driver and passenger sides , and it gives you 2 seats settings on the drive side if you have more that one driver. Very convenient!

Id not buy new if youre that tightly budgeted. Buy a CPO 2017 or 2018. Not only will this save you a few thousand dollars, but the warranty will be vastly superior, potentially saving you thousands down the road. Mazdas cpo vs new warranty alone makes buying new seem absolutely absurd to me.

Last edited:
Id not buy new if youre that tightly budgeted. Buy a CPO 2017 or 2018. Not only will this save you a few thousand dollars, but the warranty will be vastly superior, potentially saving you thousands down the road. Mazdas cpo vs new warranty alone makes buying new seem absolutely absurd to me.

Hmm, I hadn't thought much about CPO. From what I've been reading online, the used market is very highly priced now vs. new because of the rising cost of new models.

My budget isn't so tight that I can't afford low to mid thirties, just not the upper 30's that the Turbo is going to be priced at (based on what I've read).
Also don't need the bells & whistles that'll be in the 2 new trim levels that the Turbo will be available in.

Does anyone know if there will be substantial changes to the Touring or GT trims for MY 19?
I'm guessing that Android Auto & ACP will be included, not sure that's a big deal for me.

tks
Bruce

I think our next new car will have cooled seats. Hey we live in the desert ya know!!!

As I always say every time this question gets asked: People often regret getting a Touring.
No one regrets getting the GT.
If I had a nickel for every post about "Can I add *insert GT feature here* on my Touring....
well... I'd probably have a dollar... let's not get crazy. :D
Get the GT.
Let's see:
Heated side mirrors, Adaptive front lighting system... I mean that alone is worth it IMO, LED Fogs, LED DRL, Led Combo tailights, Sirius radio and
BOSE BOSE BOSE...
GET THE GT.

Used car prices are crazy. I paid 15900 for a CPO Camry SE 2015 with 20K on the clock. Right now filtering this on Auto Trader the cost is : Cheapest Camry with same spec is 15979/- AND ITS NOT CERTIFIED. And i bought mine at start of 2016 - so yeah its crazyyyy. Btw I had dealer throw in auto dimm mirrors instead of haggling more too.
But this is where you need to look for bargains which means you prioritize cost over wants. CX5 used gen 2 is not a bargain. Maybe in 10 years not now.

Two schools of thought really.

One says you may buy the Touring and then regret not having one of the features of the GT.

Other school says get the Touring with Preferred package for best value.

It's really up to you on where you fall in that line. I'm not the kinda guy who likes a lot of car nannies or too many gizmos. While the GT may have features I do want, if it was only one thing, may not be enough to warrant the price difference in my mind.

Something else to keep in mind is that traditionally GT's have gotten better price negotiations than Tourings and definitely Sports. You'll still pay more for the GT, but it may be close enough?

Anyway, I agree that their website doesn't easily show trim breakdowns. They do have PDF brochures though which are better than nothing. Here's the one for 2018 CX-5.

Two schools of thought really.

One says you may buy the Touring and then regret not having one of the features of the GT.

Other school says get the Touring with Preferred package for best value.

It's really up to you on where you fall in that line. I'm not the kinda guy who likes a lot of car nannies or too many gizmos. While the GT may have features I do want, if it was only one thing, may not be enough to warrant the price difference in my mind.

Something else to keep in mind is that traditionally GT's have gotten better price negotiations than Tourings and definitely Sports. You'll still pay more for the GT, but it may be close enough?

Anyway, I agree that their website doesn't easily show trim breakdowns. They do have PDF brochures though which are better than nothing. Here's the one for 2018 CX-5.

Thanks ColDriver - I hadn't thought about the negotiating aspect of a GT. That might tip the scale in favor of the GT, depending on what I could get out of them...(bicker)

BT

Thanks ColDriver - I hadn't thought about the negotiating aspect of a GT. That might tip the scale in favor of the GT, depending on what I could get out of them...(bicker)

BT

Yeah, GT will be more expensive still, but depending on what you negotiate between a GT with no packages and a Touring with PEP, may be close enough to think about? Then again, might not be. But doesn't hurt to price both out.

⋯ Does anyone know if there will be substantial changes to the Touring or GT trims for MY 19?
I'm guessing that Android Auto & ACP will be included, not sure that's a big deal for me.
Yeah the differences between 2018 and 2019 CX-5 are a few. For example 2018 CX-5 Touring has 19 wheels but 2019 Touring changed back to 17.

ColoradoDrivers suggestion is great, Ypu have to set up your priority first then make your decision, as either way wont be perfect. Im the one tend to want specific features I want and would go and get it. Memory driver seat is the feature I really want, hence Id get 2018 CX-5 GT with Premium package. But 2019 CX-5 GT without Premium Package has already included memory seat, thus I may consider 2019 CX-5 GT without package.

Hmm, I hadn't thought much about CPO. From what I've been reading online, the used market is very highly priced now vs. new because of the rising cost of new models.

My budget isn't so tight that I can't afford low to mid thirties, just not the upper 30's that the Turbo is going to be priced at (based on what I've read).
Also don't need the bells & whistles that'll be in the 2 new trim levels that the Turbo will be available in.

Does anyone know if there will be substantial changes to the Touring or GT trims for MY 19?

tks
Bruce

If you offered me a new CX5 and a used CX5, with 5K miles on it and CPO status but otherwise identical, no way in hell you'd catch me not buying the CPO. 5/60 vs 7/100.

Yeah the differences between 2018 and 2019 CX-5 are a few. For example 2018 CX-5 Touring has 19* wheels but 2019 Touring changed back to 17*.

ColoradoDriver*s suggestion is great, Ypu have to set up your priority first then make your decision, as either way won*t be perfect. I*m the one tend to want specific features I want and would go and get it. Memory driver seat is the feature I really want, hence I*d get 2018 CX-5 GT with Premium package. But 2019 CX-5 GT without Premium Package has already included memory seat, thus I may consider 2019 CX-5 GT without package.

17" rims are where its at for this kind of ride IMO

If you offered me a new CX5 and a used CX5, with 5K miles on it and CPO status but otherwise identical, no way in hell you'd catch me not buying the CPO. 5/60 vs 7/100.

5/60 and 7/100?
that's not what I'm seeing on the few CPO's available offer in my area -

Mazda Certified Pre-Owned Details:

* Includes Autocheck Vehicle History Report with 3 Year Buyback Protection
* Transferable Warranty
* Roadside Assistance
* Vehicle History
* Powertrain Limited Warranty: 84 Month/100,000 Mile (whichever comes first) from original in-service date
* Warranty Deductible: $0
* 160 Point Inspection
* Limited Warranty: 12 Month/12,000 Mile (whichever comes first) after new car warranty expires or from certified purchase date

?????

5/60 and 7/100?
that's not what I'm seeing on the few CPO's available offer in my area -

Mazda Certified Pre-Owned Details:

* Includes Autocheck Vehicle History Report with 3 Year Buyback Protection
* Transferable Warranty
* Roadside Assistance
* Vehicle History
* Powertrain Limited Warranty: 84 Month/100,000 Mile (whichever comes first) from original in-service date
* Warranty Deductible: $0
* 160 Point Inspection
* Limited Warranty: 12 Month/12,000 Mile (whichever comes first) after new car warranty expires or from certified purchase date

?????

Powertrain is where the money is, and 84mo happens to be 7 years...You get the remaineder of the 3/36, so you lop of 5-7K miles of that, big deal.

There are two huge assumptions in this statement
1. You know the full history of the used car. You know it was serviced well and does not have any significant outstanding issues.
2. It also assumes warranty = free. Best warranty is never to have to go to a dealer. If you have to multiple times, to ensure the work is done correctly or re-create the issue - you need to factor in your effort times $ worth to come to a total.

And considering that you can probably buy both cars for pretty much same $$$s the new will always be better. Infact the new for some buyers will be $700-1200 cheaper as there are tons ready to buy CPO thinking good value. Worse thing on new can be some faint scratches on paint. For CPO - it can be many things. CPOs are not that thoroughly vetted as well.

For example, a new CX5 in many hands can be a long term problem if owners have floored it foolishly while car had < 100 miles on it. Sure you have warranty but you are going back and forth with dealer - arguing that it is an issue / it is covered etc etc. Best is not to deal with this - get a new one under 40 miles and you should be good.

There are two huge assumptions in this statement
1. You know the full history of the used car. You know it was serviced well and does not have any significant outstanding issues.
2. It also assumes warranty = free. Best warranty is never to have to go to a dealer. If you have to multiple times, to ensure the work is done correctly or re-create the issue - you need to factor in your effort times $ worth to come to a total.

And considering that you can probably buy both cars for pretty much same $$$s the new will always be better. Infact the new for some buyers will be $700-1200 cheaper as there are tons ready to buy CPO thinking good value. Worse thing on new can be some faint scratches on paint. For CPO - it can be many things. CPOs are not that thoroughly vetted as well.

For example, a new CX5 in many hands can be a long term problem if owners have floored it foolishly while car had < 100 miles on it. Sure you have warranty but you are going back and forth with dealer - arguing that it is an issue / it is covered etc etc. Best is not to deal with this - get a new one under 40 miles and you should be good.

This, exactly. If you'll study this forum, you will find that CPO is no guarantee of quality, and no guarantee that problems will be fixed easily. Any car, new or used, can have problems, but used is far more likely to have them.

Warranties cover you for money potentially lost to problems, but they can't cover the time you lose dealing with them.

Back