HELP NEEDED Buying 2016 CX 5 60k+ miles

Man, knowing the history of skyactiv models and how to maintain them.......makes me want to go out and buy a used one.

Too bad my existing ones just won't die (band2)

Feel free to share your expertise and experience in at the dealership now

Remember everything is negotiable. If they try to sell you a warranty or maintenance package say no at first. But negotiate.....assuming you want it.

Cabin filter- pass
Engine air filter- pass
tire warranty- pass

AT 60K this is what you are looking at:
1. Brakes - how much life is left
2. Tires you said new - which brand? do you like how it drives
3. Transmission fluid change - should be doable at oil alone will cost 40+ bucks + dealer has to drain and fill - so add about $100 or more depending on their hourly. I will recommend this twice at 70K miles and next at 72K miles.
4. Intake valve cleanup - this is a precautionary one- i would do it if a good independent mechanic were to clean it up for me and it should run 300-400. not a must as long as your mpgs and power is good.
5. Regular oil change with synthetic is easy 7000 miles / 8k miles per change.
6. One high mileage tune up - spark plugs / gaskets / hoses if any need replacing.
7. One high mileage brake job - whatever it takes.

If you plan to add 150 to existing 60, that would be 210K. We have already seen 293K mile example. But just keep it rust / flood free and you should be golden. I still put CX5 in the "will do 150K, will it do 250K miles?" category. So its to be seen if these will last that long. Trans failure if there was one would have occured by now.

If you want them (dealership) to do oil changes and tire rotations............negotiate on they maintenance plan to lower costs. You'll save money that way.

Unless you do your own oil changes/tire rotations.

If you want them (dealership) to do oil changes and tire rotations............negotiate on they maintenance plan to lower costs. You'll save money that way.

Unless you do your own oil changes/tire rotations.
No I wouldnt want a maintenance plan from a Toyota dealer for my Mazda CX-5! ;)

Makf sure to take VIN to the Mazda dealer nearby checking out the maintenance and repair records first if possible.

Sonic price is 12,800

Final out the door price is 14,867.59

Please help me make this choice guys.

I like it but I know nothing about cars. They came down some but Id like more off and they really arent budging its sat for almost sixty days and theyre auctioning it next week
This is a big reputable dealer with no commission my moms bought a new car from him before and I dont peg him as a liar Im just a cheap ass. Help me out guys

Almost 15k no way. Walk out and if they follow with a number at least 2 grand lower, turn around and come back. If not, keep walking. You can easily find a lower mileage FWD for less than 14k.

Don't let them give you new car fever.

You have 13 grand. They have a car that's been sitting on the lot for over 2 months. YOU hold the cards.

Walk out and I guarantee they'll either follow with a lower number or call you within a week with the price you want. That auction story is nothing but sales pressure.

Last edited:
Walk out, go home, enjoy the day. Theyll call with a lower offer. If its not substantial, then let them lose at auction. Im sticking to my 11500-12k tops out the door all in price...

Seriously. Put your foot down, tell them that you'll pay 12.5 or 13, and walk the **** out.
You'll get the car, but you will not get ripped off.

Think, every minute you're at work, school or whatever you do, those guys are wheeling and dealing used cars. They know every trick in the book to squeeze every dime out of you. Don't sit there and listen to their spiel any longer.

Where are you located? I'll bet we can find one for you with lower mileage for less money within 100 miles of you.

NelsonLewis I wish you were here haha

Lol. If youre still at the dealer, leave for now. Theyll call in a few hours. Staying there just makes them look like youre about to give in. I dont have many secrets, just remember youre in control. You have to flat out tell them, look I got $12k as thats all Im gonna spend, if they say no, walk and leave as stated. If they call back with another offer (they will), then entertain it, and bump yours to $12500. I think youre right in not spending more than $13k though. If youve got cash, you could follow it to the auction block next week and get it for $10k tops...

Good luck, youre in control, you got this...

Back