Mazda caught in emissions cheating scandal

Looks like they were essentially asked to investigate their testing procedures, then submit their findings back to the ministry. I guess the question would be whether or not Mazda and some of these other companies also on the list knew they were deficient/improper before or after the findings.
This reminds me that when there's a stop-sale order on CX-5 back to Feb. 2016 due to the fuel filler pipe issue, many here said it's nice Mazda found the problem and voluntarily stopped the sale. Until one member found the NHTSA document and proved that it was the NHTSA who found the fuel leak issue after the rear-end collision and the CX-5 rolled. NHTSA forced Mazda to stop the sale on CX-5 until Mazda came up a solution to perform a recall.

Not just the Mazda, no corporations would admit any wrongdoings unless they have to.

30 mpgs hah, I'm happy, if I get 22 mpgs. It is still a win for me, I used to get 21-22, with my ex 08' VW Rabbit, which it was a much smaller vehicle.
Who cares, important is, that I'm having fun while I'm driving.

MPG is 32% of my buying decision. I am Who.

No wonder I have a hard time to meet the EPA fuel economy highway estimate (30 mpg) from my 2016 AWD CX-5 ⋯ Not on the rest of vehicles I've owned.

Oh please, plenty of people get the stated MPG for the CX-5. And there is no evidence that any of this has impacted the US market.

MPG =/= emissions. That's the whole thing that VW got in trouble for, the MPG was there but it was producing way more in emissions than it was supposed to.

The link in the first post by OP.

That link doesn't go to the full story anymore.. And yesterday the only detail in there was that the details would be released today (uhm)

this story has details:
https://www.motor1.com/news/261758/mazda-denies-cheating-emissions-test/

In both testing modes, Mazda did not find any sort of *improper alteration or falsification of test data.*

However, the company did detect speed trace errors, which refer to situations in which the car being tested deviates more than the permitted amount from the pre-established speed trace pattern as described by the test mode. These speed trace errors were discovered in 72 cases out of a total of 1,472 cars that were tested under the aforementioned JC08 cycle.

Following a more in-depth investigation, Mazda detected two causes for the mishap. The first one is about the system not being correctly programmed to automatically invalidate results containing a speed trace error. In addition, these test procedures were incorrectly organized as detecting the speed trace deviations became the responsibility of each individual inspector.

Mazda has already re-examined all the test data and the results are: *No effect on specification fuel economy and emission figures.* The company goes on to say it hasn*t encountered any issues during the WLTC test cycle.

Put down the pitchforks everyone. A minor programming Error in a test machine and a small procedural error is not considered "cheating".

Looks like the only real cheating going on here is the made up news headline in the original post from yesterday.

Last edited:
The article's title seems a bit click baitish. To me at least.

That link doesn't go to the full story anymore.. And yesterday the only detail in there was that the details would be released today (uhm)

this story has details:
https://www.motor1.com/news/261758/mazda-denies-cheating-emissions-test/

Put down the pitchforks everyone. A minor programming Error in a test machine and a small procedural error is not considered "cheating".

Looks like the only real cheating going on here is the made up news headline in the original post from yesterday.
Ha, you seem to always find some more details. Yeah these improper conducted fuel economy and emissions tests seem minor on Mazda part. But still the "mishap" about the system not being correctly programmed, and the test procedures were incorrectly organized are still at fault by Mazda. Nobody can prove if Mazda did these intentionally or not.

Ha, you seem to always find some more details. Yeah these improper conducted fuel economy and emissions tests seem minor on Mazda part. But still the "mishap" about the system not being correctly programmed, and the test procedures were incorrectly organized are still at fault by Mazda. Nobody can prove if Mazda did these intentionally or not.

Ummmm...considering it affected 72 out of almost 1500 test cases, I think you are stretching here.

I've worked for places that purposefully programmed stuff incorrectly (before my time there). The result was $450 million payed to the feds in settlement as the nature of this purposeful "error" enabled fraud against the feds. And believe me when I say it was 100% of the time incorrect on purpose.

Took a while for it to make news here:

Mazda, Suzuki, Yamaha Admit To Improper Emissions Testing

Mazda admits to fuel economy and emissions testing errors

"The results of the investigation show some models produced at Mazda's Hiroshima Plant were inappropriately handled in 72 cases, when tested under the JC08 standard.

The investigation found that JC08 test data containing "speed trace errors" were handled inappropriately in 72 cases out of the 1472 units tested, however no such cases were found in WLTC testing."

Listen, if there's even a remote chance that I'll get a free upgrade like VW's buyback program, I'm quite happy to be outraged too.

This is not on the scale of the VW fiasco. This was negligence at a local level. Unfortunate, as it tarnishes Mazda's reputation to some degree, but it's really much ado about nothing.

Back