2018 CX-5 Auto Start

SW71

:
2018 Mazda CX 5 Touring
Hi, I'm a brand new Mazda owner (my first Mazda!). I just bought a 2018 CX-5 Touring with the preferred package. I also bought an auto start through the dealership, which they had a subcontractor install. I love having the auto start that works with the Mazda key, but I've noticed that whatever is left on when I shut the car off does not work properly when I auto start the car. For example, if the cruise control was left "on" (not actually being used, just wasn't cancelled all the way before I shut the car off), after it is auto-started, the screen displays a warning message that cruise control is disabled below 20 mph until I shut the car off again. Similarly, if I shut the car off when I was using bluetooth audio from my phone, the bluetooth will not work when I auto start the car. I don't know whether there is some issue with the wiring that I need to contact the dealer about or if this is normal and I just need to take extra steps to clear everything before I turn the car off. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, I'm a brand new Mazda owner (my first Mazda!). I just bought a 2018 CX-5 Touring with the preferred package. I also bought an auto start through the dealership, which they had a subcontractor install. I love having the auto start that works with the Mazda key, but I've noticed that whatever is left on when I shut the car off does not work properly when I auto start the car. For example, if the cruise control was left "on" (not actually being used, just wasn't cancelled all the way before I shut the car off), after it is auto-started, the screen displays a warning message that cruise control is disabled below 20 mph until I shut the car off again. Similarly, if I shut the car off when I was using bluetooth audio from my phone, the bluetooth will not work when I auto start the car. I don't know whether there is some issue with the wiring that I need to contact the dealer about or if this is normal and I just need to take extra steps to clear everything before I turn the car off. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome! I have remote start on mine and haven't had any of these issues, but I do have a 17 so I don't know if the problem is exclusive to the 18 models. I figure it couldn't hurt to contact the dealer and see if they have a way to remedy the issue.

Many dealers do this 3rd party install of remote start because... well Mazdas Remote Start is pretty sketchy. Issue is: there's no ONE system that they all use. I had it done at my dealer. Friend had it done at a dealer across town. We got different systems.

Many dealers do this 3rd party install of remote start because... well Mazdas Remote Start is pretty sketchy. Issue is: there's no ONE system that they all use. I had it done at my dealer. Friend had it done at a dealer across town. We got different systems.

How much did it cost, and what system did you get?

I never considered it before, but I've had too many situations lately where remote start would have been very handy to have.

Advent Pursuit: http://www.adventproducts.com/pursuit/?sku=PRO9056E

I couldn't be happier. When they say long range, they mean it. I can't believe how far away this thing works from. Yes, the car shuts off when you open the door and this annoys some people. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
I paid $399 and I am sure there was a $100 dealer markup there so probably $299 from a true 3rd party.

I even start the car when it's warm. I like to wait for the RPMs to drop before driving off so I will start the car just to do that 1 minute initial warmup even. :D

Advent Pursuit: http://www.adventproducts.com/pursuit/?sku=PRO9056E

I couldn't be happier. When they say long range, they mean it. I can't believe how far away this thing works from. Yes, the car shuts off when you open the door and this annoys some people. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
I paid $399 and I am sure there was a $100 dealer markup there so probably $299 from a true 3rd party.

(drinks)

Thanks 7!

I never considered it before, but I've had too many situations lately where remote start would have been very handy to have.

I don't know which system mine is, I'm assuming it's 3rd party since it's integrated into my key fobs and doesn't have the Mazda remote start key thing. But all said and done I believe it was around $460 for mine. But every state is different with supply and demand/taxes/dealerships etc. And living in Utah everything keeps going up here with economic growth. With that said, on my 16 CX-5, I bought in Virginia, I got a Viper remote start/alarm system that was around $800 when all said and done, however it had much more capabilities and monitoring abilities than the dealer one did. But so far been happy with both systems.

Last edited:

It was $399 through the dealer. I'm not sure what system it is, but it does integrate into the original key. It also keeps running when I open the door. When I put my foot on the brake the audio system does a reset as if it was just shut off and turned on but then I'm just able to drive away without the car turning off.

And living in Utah everything keeps going up here with economic growth.

I have a lot of family still back out in Utah. I was surprised to see things had gone up there as well. I also visited SLC last year for the first time in 10 years and my god there isn't empty space anywhere anymore LOL.

That said, you should come to Denver and see how much worse it has gotten here. Utah not to our levels yet. Average single family housing costs are now over $500k as of March. :(

It was $399 through the dealer. I'm not sure what system it is, but it does integrate into the original key. It also keeps running when I open the door. When I put my foot on the brake the audio system does a reset as if it was just shut off and turned on but then I'm just able to drive away without the car turning off.

Cool, thanks!

I have a lot of family still back out in Utah. I was surprised to see things had gone up there as well. I also visited SLC last year for the first time in 10 years and my god there isn't empty space anywhere anymore LOL.

That said, you should come to Denver and see how much worse it has gotten here. Utah not to our levels yet. Average single family housing costs are now over $500k as of March. :(

Cool, thanks!

Yeah I lived in Utah 12 years ago and when I moved back I was amazed at how it is growing, lots of internet magnates building out here, calling it the Silicon Slopes. It is crazy. And my parents are building in a suburb of Denver to retire to, and I have a good amount of family there, so I definitely understand that as well. All in all, still better than Virginia (lol2)

Yeah I lived in Utah 12 years ago and when I moved back I was amazed at how it is growing, lots of internet magnates building out here, calling it the Silicon Slopes. It is crazy. And my parents are building in a suburb of Denver to retire to, and I have a good amount of family there, so I definitely understand that as well. All in all, still better than Virginia (lol2)

Cheers, friend! It all just get's worse all the time....until it doesn't.

Yeah. They do the same out here in Denver as it is a huge center for tech jobs now. I don't know what the actual term is now, but they use Silicon Valley terms too.

as much as I want a remote start I've seen too many issues with the mazda remote starts. nothing critical, just people having to restart the car using the ignition in order to get car components to work correctly

These modern Mazda's are specifically wired to not interfere with remote start installs. In the past this wasn't always the case and there were issues.

Any evidence to back that up? No reports on the forum or Reddit.

Veeery interesting. To be fair, my guy told me this regarding my 16 and that gen Mazda. Another strike against Gen 2. [emoji39][emoji39]

Veeery interesting. To be fair, my guy told me this regarding my 16 and that gen Mazda. Another strike against Gen 2. [emoji39][emoji39]

Another strike for Gen 2 in the USA/Canada.

We don't get auto start here so no strike against Aussie Gen 2 :D

Back