Octane?

It was 20HP at the crank as there is a 15% loss due to drivetrain which resulted in a 3HP gain at the wheels.

That's not how things work.

If you assume the 15% is correct than
3HP at the wheels is 3.529 at the crank.

3.529 crank HP * (1 - 0.15) = 3 wheel HP

Aside from maintenance issues, it was actually a pretty neat little vehicle. I used it as a daily when my fun car was a C6 Z06. It got 31mpg on long road-trips doing 80mph, and it had more technology and features than my 2015 CX5 Touring.

Probably cost more too adjusting for awd and inflation..lot of $ for a nice Sentra I always thought. I regularly saw 31 on my 2002 c230 that had 192hp and 208 lb-ft of torque..26k and included 4 years of maintenance..nice little ride that.

Here in the Netherlands we use RON95 as regular and RON98 as premium. A nearby dealer has RON102 "racing fuel" (lol right, very expensive). Anyway this easily influenced Dutch guy just filled up his Mazda CX-5 2.0 with RON102 fuel. I do think I can feel a difference between RON95 and RON98 already. RON98 is less clunky and when accelerating hard multiple times shortly after each other (we have a crazy amount of roundabouts). Do that while using RON95 and the car will hold back very short durations during hard acceleration. Tomorrow I'll drive with RON102, let's see how that goes. But the second part of the drive is with someone else next to me, so no real testing then.

Reporting in, I was unable to feel a real difference, maybe ever so slightly, and no holding back while accelerating hard multiple times, but no improved top speed or acceleration imho.

Probably cost more too adjusting for awd and inflation..lot of $ for a nice Sentra I always thought. I regularly saw 31 on my 2002 c230 that had 192hp and 208 lb-ft of torque..26k and included 4 years of maintenance..nice little ride that.

I traded a 2001 WS.6 with a bad A/C and peeling hood paint and clutch issues for it, even, in 2010. It made a great little daily.

How many tanks of premium did you run before you tested?

Just one, I know that is not the correct way to measure. But I had it running on 95, drove it until I had 11 miles left on the fuel gage and filled it up with 102. I honestly don't believe I've mixed a lot of 95 with 102.

Just one, I know that is not the correct way to measure. But I had it running on 95, drove it until I had 11 miles left on the fuel gage and filled it up with 102. I honestly don't believe I've mixed a lot of 95 with 102.

Great, Yes with 11 miles left on gauge, you probably had over 3 gallons of 95, and added around 12 gallons of 102, giving you a blend that would equal ~99

I know the cx5 2.5 uses 87 but does anyone use mid grade or premium? With those high compression ratios I wonder if there would be any performance improvement with the other fuels?

Thanks!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I tried it, still a dog whether you run 87 or 93. Save your money.

This summer I noticed the 2013's 2.0 engine was accelerating roughly. 90k miles. First time this occurred.

Switched from 87 to 89 and problem went away. I suspect a bad tank of gas so later switched back to 87 and engine still running good.

Yep must've been bad batch of gas.

This summer I noticed the 2013's 2.0 engine was accelerating roughly. 90k miles. First time this occurred.

Switched from 87 to 89 and problem went away. I suspect a bad tank of gas so later switched back to 87 and engine still running good.

Yep must've been bad batch of gas.
Yep that is a possibility. Do you know what brand of gas you put it in? Did you switch the brand and gas station for 89 octane after the incident happened?

Bad batch= my wife put gas in and can't recall.

Filled with 89 and then later 87 gas from QT (Quick Trip) gas which from my understanding uses the same supplier as Shell.

Bad batch= my wife put gas in and can't recall.

Filled with 89 and then later 87 gas from QT (Quick Trip) gas which from my understanding uses the same supplier as Shell.
That's why I always try to get the gas for wife's CX-5. ;) Or at least remind her to go to a Shell gas station if she has to do it by herself!

QT is a top-tier gas, but I only use Shell gas on our CX-5, and Costco gas on our 20-year-old CR-V.

We use QT, Shell, and Chevron.

Don;t have a Costco membership but I heard its some good stuff.

Back