new small suv's with flash

Now it would be a good time, to add the turbo motor in the CX5, it would be the most powerful in this segment.
I like the RAV4, Forester did not change enough for me.

The new RAV4 from the out side looks like the hyundai Santa Fe and it is a sad development if Toyota is trying to follow Hyundai! The interior looks much better and the cabin is well laid out. Infotainment looks good too. The knob selector for drive mode and the 4 wheel drive with lock on is certainly a good thing.

Looking for flash? I'M looking for that, economy, and utility. Visited my local Jaguar dealer to look over an F-Pace. BEAUTIFUL looking car. Ended up there 'cause I'm in the market for something nicer than my '13 AWD CX-5, and my personal rule is next vehicle must always be more fuel efficient than the one I now have; and what I have is the original 2.0 engine which is darned fuel efficient for an AWD, but doesn'r so much accelerate as saunter. The F-Pace with the diesel engine is more efficient, nicer, and faster without giving away the handling I now have.

For utility, there are times when I need to carry stuff so long it rests on the top of the passenger-side dash. I can do this only by dropping the rear seat, removing the front head restraint, sliding the front seat fully forward and then doing a complete recline of the front seat-back. On the F-Pace the front seat neither fully reclines, nor is the head restraint removable. This truck doesn't work. When the employee came to realize this, he said a funny thing - "Have you considered using a roof rack?" (translation: If our vehicle is not compatible with your lifestyle, there's something amiss with your lifestyle.)

Brian

I saw a Maserati Levante. I didn't know that was a thing. Had to look it up.
Starts @ $76,000. Looks like a big wagon.
Is there any brand that refuses to make an SUV? Oh yes there is one: Ferrari.

b675babc8f6833818a88b3670941572f.jpg

New rav 4 out and it is has exceptional lines on it. Others are implementing them and Mazda is taking it away. 2014 the CX-5 had looks above others easily. What is Mazda doing? Sad that a really fun to drive, better than the rest in class imo is going backwards. If they don't put the 2.5t in the CX-5 isn't going to keep selling.

I agree, the side view character lines are beautiful on pre 2017 CX5s. The side view lines of 2017 and up models no longer stand out from the crowd. Since sales are still increasing each month, it will be interesting to see what affect the new Rav or new 2019 Forester will have in the crowded playing field. Not a fan of the over the top angular styling Toyota stole from Cadillac, and predict that fad will end soon as people get tired picking dead bugs out of massive predator faced grills!

All I can make of the recent exodus of performance-minded "value" crossovers is that those buyers have moved upmarket and are buying from ze Germans. It's a shame for those of use who want Japanese reliability and maintenance costs along with performance. As a few others have stated, the new Acura RDX is pretty appealing. It looks like the excellence of recent Honda designs is working it's way up into the Acura lineup.

It does look sexy as hell and I love the "paper data". What's it cost?

ARe they trying to look like a Gen 1 CX-5? They at least have that side swoop a bit...

Though not at all a fan of some of the lines right under the window, or that front grill.

ARe they trying to look like a Gen 1 CX-5? They at least have that side swoop a bit...

Though not at all a fan of some of the lines right under the window, or that front grill.

But it is actually going to be peppy! Upper 200's in the hp dept, real AWD, torque vectoring, 10-speed...

Noone cares about the CX5. Noone is trying to look like the CX5. I don't know why people think otherwise. In this thread or another, I remember someone saying "Oh, it has the NAV like the new CX5..." as if ANYONE is emulating the CX5. Mazda got that s*** from late 2000's BMW, except Mazda went cheap and it doesn't retract, which honestly I think is a good thing, as it won't break the retracting mechanism, either, lol.

Last edited:
I agree I feel like Mazda is emulating BMW/Audi in a lot of ways which isn’t a bad thing. And I also agree Toyota is probably more closely watching what Honda and Subaru are doing. Also as Toyota has an investment in Mazda they definitely want them to succeed. I see them targeting a different customer than the CX-5 would.

I agree I feel like Mazda is emulating BMW/Audi in a lot of ways which isn’t a bad thing. And I also agree Toyota is probably more closely watching what Honda and Subaru are doing. Also as Toyota has an investment in Mazda they definitely want them to succeed. I see them targeting a different customer than the CX-5 would.

Exactly. Toyota went with their global styling and emulated the FJ and 4Runner, in part. How people see CX5 in the RAV is beyond me, or in any other car. Sure, you can only make tires in one shape, and aerodynamics dictate that certain stylistic angles align with one another across companies, but beyond that? Noone is trying to be Mazda. In fact, Mazda is trying hard to stop being Mazda. Look at the Gen2 vs. Gen 1 CX5. Clearly they are done with "Kodo" or whatever they call it, and going with a more tried and true appearance.

Back