How to tell if map updates are available?

The map update that was reported to be "available" last week; wasn't.

As of this morning, the February 2018 map update is live.

Download on gigabit Internet is very fast ... writing to the SD card is s...l...o...w.

CX-5 update is just finishing; the Miata RF LE is next.

BTW: If you have two Mazdas with the "connect" system; a single download will update both SD cards.

You must have had lucky timing with their server. I can't get more than 30mb/s from it.

But it's nice to finally get it, only a week after they announced its availability.

Just came back to check my download. The message was "there was an issue with the update server", try again, or exit. Tried again twice, no change. Exited. Reloaded the app.

Now it says "there is no available update for your device..." just like before the aborted download. Exited, waited an hour, tried again, same result. Ran SD diagnostics: ok.

Took it back out to the car. Nav loads fine. But what version of maps am I running? No way to find out. Not in the car. Not in the pathetic Mazda toolbox.

So I guess I'll be running either last year's or the current one until the next update comes out. I'll try the update again in a few days or weeks, but don't expect it to change.

No problem. Just thought I'd share that with you guys. Guess I spoke too soon.

You must have had lucky timing with their server. I can't get more than 30mb/s from it.

But it's nice to finally get it, only a week after they announced its availability.

I'm guessing that the server was slammed when the word got out that the update was [finally] live. (shrug)

[Edit: just shadononz' second post ... how irritating!]

I updated 2 cards today. Download was fast. Install to cards was slow.

Don't know why, but install to the second SD card was nearly twice as fast as the first. (drive2)

Last edited:
Downloading now. 36 minutes so far. 96%

You're sounding like I did. I wonder if the server not only slows down when slammed but also pukes. Wouldn't surprise me, judging by the quality of the Toolbox.

Found this in the SD diagnostics the Toolbox emailed to me:
"Rights
Map of North America February 2018 Expiration 09.03.2020"

So it seems to me that PERHAPS the update succeeded after all. Perhaps the server failure message was generated AFTER the installation, rather than during the download.

Whatever. I don't use nav much anyway. :)

Took an hour and 20 minutes. I think my issue is Spectrum. Been getting horrible speed lately.

Found this in the SD diagnostics the Toolbox emailed to me:
"Rights
Map of North America February 2018 Expiration 09.03.2020"

So it seems to me that PERHAPS the update succeeded after all. Perhaps the server failure message was generated AFTER the installation, rather than during the download.

Whatever. I don't use nav much anyway. :)

yes, the apps will say that after a long idle period. i had no issues on Spectrum, but it could be all mazda usa owners are hitting it now.

Pretty sure my Spectrum is sucking... Paying for 100.
9b5b67c9b1a53ea6718ecefad79b7c82.jpg

WOW, that's pathetic.
I'm fortunate that Google Fiber came to my neighborhood about a year ago.
Dumped my Time Warner/Spectrum 300 Mbps for Google's Gigabit service.
I now run close to a full gigabit both down and up!

Just updated my NAV map. As usual I saved a snapshot of the SD Diagnostics traces for record (see below). But for the first time it's complaining "SD card is invalid"! Also getting an extra line further down, never seen before, that says "Connected services activated = NO"

Rebooted my PC, re-inserted SD Card, restarted Toolbox afresh. Same errors!

Is anyone getting the same error? Although the card appears to work OK in the car, I'm very concerned.

(SD Diagnostics details)
Diagnostics complete = SD card is invalid <<<<<<<
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) = xxx
SD Card license matches with above VIN number = YES
SD Card license name = Visteon BHP1 66 EZ1G
SD Card license code = xxx
SD Card license type = PRODUCT
SD Card license valid = YES
Locking sequence = SD+VIN
Device.nng = Yes
Navigation engine software version = 9.12.129.694912
Space used on SD card = 5.51 GB
Total space on SD card = 7.39 GB
Read content file size = 0 GB
First GPS timestamp = xxx
Naviextras device registration date = xxx
Default SWID = xxx
SWID list = xxx,xxx
Connected services activated = NO <<<<<<<
Factory license = Visteon BHP1 66 EZ1G Doesn't expire, valid

Just updated my NAV map. As usual I saved a snapshot of the SD Diagnostics traces for record (see below). But for the first time it's complaining "SD card is invalid"! Also getting an extra line further down, never seen before, that says "Connected services activated = NO"

Is anyone getting the same error? Although the card appears to work OK in the car, I'm very concerned.

(SD Diagnostics details)
Diagnostics complete = SD card is invalid <<<<<<<
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) = xxx
SD Card license matches with above VIN number = YES
SD Card license name = Visteon BHP1 66 EZ1G
SD Card license code = xxx
SD Card license type = PRODUCT
SD Card license valid = YES
Locking sequence = SD+VIN
Device.nng = Yes
Navigation engine software version = 9.12.129.694912
Space used on SD card = 5.51 GB
Total space on SD card = 7.39 GB
Read content file size = 0 GB
First GPS timestamp = xxx
Naviextras device registration date = xxx
Default SWID = xxx
SWID list = xxx,xxx
Connected services activated = NO <<<<<<<
Factory license = Visteon BHP1 66 EZ1G Doesn't expire, valid

Strange enough, as you can see, it passes the "card license matches VIN?" test, despite the invalid SD card error.

(SD Diagnostics details)...

I'm getting SD card valid, but like you I'm getting connected services activated = no.
What does yours say just below, under rights?

I'm getting SD card valid, but like you I'm getting connected services activated = no.
What does yours say just below, under rights?

Rights looks normal:
Map of North America February 2018 Expiration (my start date + 3y)

So you're better than me, getting one unexpected complaint instead of two. In my case, SD card always showed valid over these years, and that Connected Services Activated line was never there before.

Anyone else?

Regarding connected services. It is likley that this is for addons like onstar type stuff. Probably if you had mobile start with gps locator this would show yes.

I wouldnt be concerned if you aren’t paying a fee for such things.

Regarding connected services. It is likley that this is for addons like onstar type stuff. Probably if you had mobile start with gps locator this would show yes.

I wouldnt be concerned if you aren’t paying a fee for such things.

Agree with your analysis. So shadonoz is fine, I'm the only one with an INVALID card after this long anticipated update. :-(

Agree with your analysis. So shadonoz is fine, I'm the only one with an INVALID card after this long anticipated update. :-(

I guess the question is "what is invalid" - you said the card works right? Unless the software manufacturer tells us what "invalid card means", I would not worry to much about it. I guess you could see if the card is under warranty with the car, but if it works....

You can always make a backup of the card using mazda toolbox, buy another card of the same size, and restore the backup to the new card and see if that addresses the issue.

Vague error messages are the worst kind.

Back