Anyone Here Get Their 2.5T Tuned Yet?

The unit itself is most likely sourced from a brand that makes Transmissions which was then modified and tuned by Mazda. I’m not saying that’s the case, it may not be, but I’m willing to bet that the units external casing looks identical to the 6 speed that was used in the first generation V6 Mazda 6.

Manufacturers rarely ever build anything from scratch unless they really need to and Mazda is particularly proud of that. They have excellent tech on their cars inside and out which started off with a future proofed design like the L engine. All that’s needed is an occasional evolution of their existing products in order to stay competitive.

The SKYACTIV nomenclature is essentially mazdas older technology thoroughly modified from the ground up, and the result is impressive.

I'd say it's in house because if it was built by someone else and modified by Mazda, all reviews, specs etc would have mentioned this by now.

I'd say it's in house because if it was built by someone else and modified by Mazda, all reviews, specs etc would have mentioned this by now.

For the most part its true, like BMW has its ZF transmission which it tunes very well and you hear this unit mentioned in tests, but there are other brands like Maserati with their ghibli, Chrysler, Acura jaguar etc which also use a ZF transmission but reviewers make no mention of this, so you never know.

But whatever Mazda did with their transmission, Im really quite impressed. The torque converter/ clutch lockup or whatever they did works and you can feel how direct the transmission is in the higher gears. Its well calibrated, responsive and built with both efficiency and performance in mind. All in all I love mazdas tech and think they are very good at what they do.

While the gearing makes excellent use of the mid range torque that mazdas engines produce, I think that the gearing is a little too long for full throttle pulls which could be remedied with a short final drive ratio.

I hope to see Mazda make an 8 speed automatic in the future because I think the extra gearing would make a huge difference with overall performance and efficiency.

For the most part it’s true, like BMW has its ZF transmission which it tunes very well and you hear this unit mentioned in tests, but there are other brands like Maserati with their ghibli, Chrysler, Acura jaguar etc which also use a ZF transmission but reviewers make no mention of this, so you never know.

They do tell us here all except Acura as they are not sold here

But whatever Mazda did with their transmission, I’m really quite impressed. The torque converter/ clutch lockup or whatever they did works and you can feel how direct the transmission is in the higher gears. It’s well calibrated, responsive and built with both efficiency and performance in mind. All in all I love mazdas tech and think they are very good at what they do.

While the gearing makes excellent use of the mid range torque that mazdas engines produce, I think that the gearing is a little too long for full throttle pulls which could be remedied with a short final drive ratio.

I hope to see Mazda make an 8 speed automatic in the future because I think the extra gearing would make a huge difference with overall performance and efficiency.

Their gearing is primarily set up for fuel efficiency over performance. That being said, they have revised throttle input on the new CX-5 to make it more responsive.

8 speed auto might be better but they need to make sure it doesn't get confused picking the right gear due to having too many gears.

I would surmise if a new gearbox comes, it won't be for the 2.5L turbo but more so on HCCI engines.

They do tell us here all except Acura as they are not sold here

Their gearing is primarily set up for fuel efficiency over performance. That being said, they have revised throttle input on the new CX-5 to make it more responsive.

8 speed auto might be better but they need to make sure it doesn't get confused picking the right gear due to having too many gears.

I would surmise if a new gearbox comes, it won't be for the 2.5L turbo but more so on HCCI engines.

Yes, it is geared for efficiency but revving between 3-4000rpm where all the torque is, it feels quite peppy and well tuned for performance too. Its only once you are shifting at practically redline where you notice that the gearing is too far apart.

well, Mazda stepped up their transmission tuning big-time with the skyactiv transmission. Take just one spin in an older generation mazda with the horrifically designed 5 speed auto and you will see exactly what I mean.

Based on what weve seen with mazdas current transmission tuning, I can confidently say that an 8 speed they hypothetically design would not suffer from gear hunting.

BMWs version of the ZF is brilliantly tuned, the best in the business. Mazdas transmission seems to be tuned the same way and the shift patterns are actually quite similar. They both seamlessly blend performance with fuel savings and do quite a good job at it.

The unit itself is most likely sourced from a brand that makes Transmissions which was then modified and tuned by Mazda. Im not saying thats the case, it may not be, but Im willing to bet that the units external casing looks identical to the 6 speed that was used in the first generation V6 Mazda 6.

Manufacturers rarely ever build anything from scratch unless they really need to and Mazda is particularly proud of that. They have excellent tech on their cars inside and out which started off with a future proofed design like the L engine. All thats needed is an occasional evolution of their existing products in order to stay competitive.

The SKYACTIV nomenclature is essentially mazdas older technology thoroughly modified from the ground up, and the result is impressive.

Wrong again. Please take my advise from another thread where I asked you to just stop talking about Mazda and SKYACTIV Technolgy.

You know absolutely nothing about the SKYACTIV program. It was not built on "old technology".

Do you know where the name comes from?

Do you know how the program started?

Do you know what the initial goal of the program was?

What was a byproduct of the initial goal?

Until you can answer these questions correctly, I think you should not express your unfounded opinions on what's under the hood of current Mazda's.

I worked for Mazda for over a decade, before and after the roll out of the SKYACTIV program.

I will gladly educate you on it if you are willing to listen.

Wait a minute...
OVT has claimed to offer custom tunes for these engines and there exists essentially no data or results?

Somebody has got to pony up and let them take a stab on their CX-9.
I was convinved a few years ago that they were a fly by night outfit but they've stuck around and seems to have amassed a following with other Mazda owners/groups. They may have crossed over into Mazdaspeed land too. The concern is simply that tuning FI is a completely different world than NA.

Wrong again. Please take my advise from another thread where I asked you to just stop talking about Mazda and SKYACTIV Technolgy.

You know absolutely nothing about the SKYACTIV program. It was not built on "old technology".

Do you know where the name comes from?

Do you know how the program started?

Do you know what the initial goal of the program was?

What was a byproduct of the initial goal?

Until you can answer these questions correctly, I think you should not express your unfounded opinions on what's under the hood of current Mazda's.

I worked for Mazda for over a decade, before and after the roll out of the SKYACTIV program.

I will gladly educate you on it if you are willing to listen.

I am willing to listen and be educated about it ..
thanks

Ovt 2017 cx-9

Maybe no one has done it yet (scratch)

I paid full price to be the first 2.5 Turbo tune on my CX-9.

I am currently on my fifth map file. It has taken two months with a lot of trial and error. In the beginning my car sat dead in the driveway for a few days as we worked out the first uploaded tune.

I am crazy about tuned cars. I currently own three stage 2 APR Audi's, S4, SQ5 and S8 (700 hp). Sort of an expert.

Map #5 was the second tune to add additional boost and torque for the full rpm range.

Seat of the pants feel much better. Gas mileage steady at 25 mpg for 70 mph and 23 mpg around town.

I has asked many questions during the process but all my questions have not been answered.

Like:

I want the front/rear bias to be changed. 97/3 normally = want 70/30 at start
Does the tune work in normal and sport mode?
Can you raise the rev limiter?

It's been a long road but finally the car is waking up. It's take a lot of patience compared to thAudi tunes.

Probably best to wait a while so things get ironed out. Not usually the best thing to go first

I am currently on my fifth map file. It has taken two months with a lot of trial and error. In the beginning my car sat dead in the driveway for a few days as we worked out the first uploaded tune.

I am crazy about tuned cars. I currently own three stage 2 APR Audi's, S4, SQ5 and S8 (700 hp). Sort of an expert.

Map #5 was the second tune to add additional boost and torque for the full rpm range.

Seat of the pants feel much better. Gas mileage steady at 25 mpg for 70 mph and 23 mpg around town.

I has asked many questions during the process but all my questions have not been answered.

Like:

I want the front/rear bias to be changed. 97/3 normally = want 70/30 at start
Does the tune work in normal and sport mode?
Can you raise the rev limiter?

It's been a long road but finally the car is waking up. It's take a lot of patience compared to thAudi tunes.

Don't think the bias can be tuned as the rear diff is not meant to be ran full time due to small fluid capacity. Would likely overheat if engaged for too long.

Hot rodding brand new full size SUVs? That's what we're focusing energy on these days? I suppose it's a head start when/if this motor gets put into something smaller in the Mazda lineup, but who cares about an extra 40hp in a behemoth like this? I putt around in my '13 CX9 and could care less how much power it makes. If I wanted any tuning at all it would be to just keep the transmission from hunting for gears when I'm towing.

Wait a minute...
OVT has claimed to offer custom tunes for these engines and there exists essentially no data or results?

Somebody has got to pony up and let them take a stab on their CX-9.
I was convinved a few years ago that they were a fly by night outfit but they've stuck around and seems to have amassed a following with other Mazda owners/groups. They may have crossed over into Mazdaspeed land too. The concern is simply that tuning FI is a completely different world than NA.

They are "fly by night", and they have ignored any questions regarding the 2.5 skyactiv tune. I volunteered my 2017 several times.

Got this from an article:

Mazda also offers a 2.5-liter turbocharged gasoline-burning engine in the CX-9 crossover and the upcoming 2018 6 sedan. It's actually Mazda's biggest gas-powered engine in Mazda's current lineup, and it's designed to recreate the low-end torque characteristics of a V6. Chen is quick to point out that Skyactiv-Turbo is not a performance-car engine, so don't expect to see it in a new Mazdaspeed 3 hot hatch or under the hood of the Miata.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a14105487/mazda-skyactiv-x-la-auto-show/

Maybe this is the reason why mods/tunes for the Skyactive-T are hard to come by

Not meant as a performance car engine, just like all the little Honda four cylinders economy cars of the past 30 years.

That the youths have pushing out 500 horsepower just fine on.. yeah.

Not meant as a performance car engine, just like all the little Honda four cylinders economy cars of the past 30 years.

That the youths have pushing out 500 horsepower just fine on.. yeah.

Why not? Mazdas 2.5L engine is a strong motor. Im pretty sure the lightweight skyactiv pistons would need to be upgraded, but the connecting rods and crankshaft is forged. These engines can easily handle big power, or at the very least lightly modified power for daily driving.

I have to admit I've considered it. The big thing that has me worried is the drivetrain. I've read reports of drivetrain issues in the CX-5, and I believe (not sure) that the CX-9 drivetrain is the same. I'd suck to pump up the motor only for the diff or transfer case to go bye bye because of it. If I had reason to believe ALL of the stock componenets would hold up to the added power, then I'd jump on a tune.

So I'm curious how the car is holding up? Any issues to speak of (aside from the tuning back and forth)?

Back