MSP turbo discussion

Haxir

:
mazdaspeed 3 GT 2008 CWP
So I bought my MSP and tore the turbo off and the pos welded downpipe etc. Long story, but the previous unknown amount of owners before me really did a number on this poor car. I am going to restore it back to it's glory with proper parts and tuning etc. But I pulled off a SAAB 9-3 turbo which doesn't even mate properly to the manifold. So now I'm in the position of needing a new turbo. The goal of the car is a solid DD with 200+whp keeping boost low because obviously these motors are glass. I'm just in a position of what turbo I should go with. I mean i'm thinking just a stock t25, but I've read they have issues and all that. So I've been looking at some ball bearing t28 ebay turbos, looking for a cheap disco potato, or again, maybe a good condition stock turbo. What I've looked at for ebay turbos would be like:

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

OR

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

What are some thoughts on these turbos, what would be my best, lowest expense turbo option that will last a long time with lower boost. Are there some other turbo option I'm not aware of? Thanks

I would go with the t28 cause faster spool time but like I would also like to add that I'm looking at doing some forged internals that would remedy your glass engine theory.

I would go with the t28 cause faster spool time but like I would also like to add that I'm looking at doing some forged internals that would remedy your glass engine theory.

I may forged it eventually, just not in the budget currently. With a proper tune and low boost it should last a long time. Just trying to find an inexpensive turbo that will last since I'm not trying to push high HP.

Stock T25 will be cheapest and most reliable option. You can get a new CHRA for about $500 and swap the housings over, then you will have a brand new turbo. My stock turbo lasted 176k miles, a ball bearing Garrett turbo is about as long lasting of a turbo money can buy.

You will not need a T28 to run 200whp, and it will spool slower. People have put down 240+ WHP with a T25.

Age, mileage, too long between oil changes, cheap oil, etc. There are lots of factors that cause turbos to fail. If you end up needing the stock housings let me know, I will sell one for the cost of shipping.

Stock t25 is gt2554 it spools up about 2500rpm tops out 17psi only efficient to about 15psi.

I got a gt2871r with 3in dp spooling starts up 3500rpm

As far as motor being glass i drove with the gt2871r on 12psi with stock motor for about a year no issues all in the tune. Now its fully forged running 18lbs daily. Minus my little on going issue that i just posted

Back