Cabin Air Filter & Glove Box Removal

:
2014 QX70 AWD
Like a lot of you I've been changing my own cabin air filters for years. Its almost mind-numbingly simple.

So... I figured after 23 months and 20k miles it was about time I at least checked its condition. I even watched a YouTube tutorial for s**** and giggles as a precaution. Is it just me, or is the glove box incredibly hard to free up? I was using far more force than I had ever exerted before trying to get it past the side posts, but the left side simply wouldn't clear the post. Further, it was quite a narrow slot for my hand to squeeze into, complicating the process, and scratching up my hand as well. The glove box in the video (on a 2013 CX5) appeared a lot more flexible/flimsy than mine.

Is it just me? Did something change with the later models to inhibit the glove box removal?

Should I just give it holy hell and assume its strong enough not to break?

thx!

Like a lot of you I've been changing my own cabin air filters for years. Its almost mind-numbingly simple.

So... I figured after 23 months and 20k miles it was about time I at least checked its condition. I even watched a YouTube tutorial for s**** and giggles as a precaution. Is it just me, or is the glove box incredibly hard to free up? I was using far more force than I had ever exerted before trying to get it past the side posts, but the left side simply wouldn't clear the post. Further, it was quite a narrow slot for my hand to squeeze into, complicating the process, and scratching up my hand as well. The glove box in the video (on a 2013 CX5) appeared a lot more flexible/flimsy than mine.

Is it just me? Did something change with the later models to inhibit the glove box removal?

thx!

Just takes practice and repetition my banjo wielding friend. I change my cabin filters every 3-4 months. Takes about 10 seconds to remove, 10 seconds to insert for me.

Use the Force banjo. Be one with the Force.

Remember it is not the amount of force but the location of the squeeze points you're using.

It wasn't this hard with the 2005 Mazda 6. I could almost just look at funny it and it would drop.

Maybe I'll wrap a piece of wood with a hand towel to see if that allows me to get closer to the left restriction post. Right side was easy peasy.... but the left side... yowsa.

Worst cast scenario:

230px-Sabata_Review02_01.jpg

You know, was just thinking I could stand to change mine out, and I'm trying to start learning how to work on my car myself (for simple things like this at least).

Thank you for this post. :)

This first video has one technique to do it... the push on the back technique

Second video uses the pull in the side technique...

Is a cabin air filter a fairly recent option? I don't know whether I even have one in my old Forester, but if so I do know that I haven't changed it in over 15 years!

thx!

I have a late model, it's very similar to the video below, it's super easy, squeeze the sides (0:34 seconds mark) and it should pop right out

maybe add a little oil at the posts so it slides out easier ? just a thought....

The 2nd video posted by Mazdadude, and the one by Tomcat1446 is the one I viewed as a simple precaution.

I'll watch the other method video in a bit (new browser doesn't work well with YouTube).

ColoradoDriver- you'll probably save yourself $50-100 doing it yourself. Its one of the easiest money makers for a dealership maintenance department.

I was using far more force than I had ever exerted before trying to get it past the side posts, but the left side simply wouldn't clear the post. Further, it was quite a narrow slot for my hand to squeeze into, complicating the process, and scratching up my hand as well.

thx!

Since you live in a cold region. Consider heating the inside of the glove box for 3-4 seconds. Should make the plastic a bit more pliable for you.

Since you live in a cold region. Consider heating the inside of the glove box for 3-4 seconds. Should make the plastic a bit more pliable for you.

Not a bad thought. But it was 50*F yesterday (t-shirt weather for us in Maine in the winter) when I tried this, and that was after my 20 minute commute home, so the vehicle was relatively warm.

I haven't checked mine yet but I assume it should be easy like those videos shown. Is the temperature warm enough so that the plastic can be more flexible? Can you see the left stopper and how much clearance do you still need for it to pass? Can you shift the glove box to the right a bit? Anyway my wife has the CX-5 or I'd try it by myself and see what's going on. Patience is a virtue!

I haven't checked mine yet but I assume it should be easy like those videos shown. Is the temperature warm enough so that the plastic can be more flexible? Can you see the left stopper and how much clearance do you still need for it to pass? Can you shift the glove box to the right a bit? Anyway my wife has the CX-5 or I'd try it by myself and see what's going on. Patience is a virtue!

Yup.... I could clearly see that there was no way in getting past the left post! I felt so stupid... and still do for now!

Alright, I was able to get it out. I gripped the sides from the top further back than before. Filter needs replacing or washing.

The left side internally did get scratched a bit by the post, but it's hidden so I don't really care.

Last edited:
And for those who are rubbernecking, I misstated about the "posts". They're attached to the glove box and I couldn't get them past their appropriate stoppers the first time around.

Is a cabin air filter a fairly recent option? I don't know whether I even have one in my old Forester, but if so I do know that I haven't changed it in over 15 years!

Not that recent, my '01 Escape had one. Just a quick search shows an '01 Forrester does have one. I don't know Subaru's maintenance schedule but it's probably less than 15 years. :D

Alright, I was able to get it out. I gripped the sides from the top further back than before. Filter needs replacing or washing.

The left side internally did get scratched a bit by the post, but it's hidden so I don't really care.
I just tried to get the glove box out and I used both ways, push the back side and squeeze left and right sides, to get two posts passing the stoppers. 88F warm temperature helps too to flex the box easier. Your cabin filter may not be as dirty as you thought as mine is charcoal filter and the black thing on both sides of filtering element doesn't mean it's dirty.

-font-b-Cabin-b-font-font-b-Air-b-font-font-b-Filter-b-font.jpg

We're lucky to hit 88*F during the summer. It had lots of pine needles and general dust. Chris_Top_Pher says he just washes his. Not sure if he means by hand or in the washing machine.

We're lucky to hit 88*F during the summer. It had lots of pine needles and general dust. Chris_Top_Pher says he just washes his. Not sure if he means by hand or in the washing machine.
Our 2-year-old 2016 CX-5 has only 17,315 miles on it and the cabin filter looks fine to me. I only cleaned up the leaves and some dirt. Chris_Top_Her did "wash" his cabin filter and re-use it, I do believe he just hosed filter with water, not washing machine! But that could wash off the charcoal. I may just replace it with OEM cabin filters said 30,000 mile interval.

It is easy for the first guy because he actually is a gorilla.

Yeah, but he's OK, he's an Aussie gorilla! Or make that, a big Red Roo!

Thanks for the "how to" anyway!

I checked the Aussie's website and their filters look good, but unclear whether they can be cleaned and resued or not. They are also priced at $50 each. From a quick google, it looks like thats similar to what Mazda charges here for the OEM version.

So can anyone recommend a source for aftermarket filters/makes that are good? I can then check to see if we can get them here.

Back