How To Acquire Non-US Spec Head Restraints for a US-spec CX-5

I realized when I put them on that they did not match the middle headrest although the seats do have red stitching so I'm ok with it.
I guess I was curious whether you ordered K072-88-240 02 for your 2016 CX-5 with black stitching but JapanParts.com sent you KD51-88-240 02 with red stitching?

2013~2015:
KD49-88-240 02 - Black Touring Cloth with Red Stitching
KD51-88-240 02 - Black GT Leather with Red Stitching
KD51-88-240 34 - Sand GT Leather with Sand Stitching

2016~?:
K070-88-240 02 - Black Touring Cloth with Black Stitching
K072-88-240 02 - Black GT Leather with Black Stitching
K073-88-240 39 - Parchment GT Leather with Parchment Stitching

I was at my Mazda dealer this morning and looked at a 2016 CX-3 just out of curiosity. The rear headrests look like the non-US CX-5 ones and they fit the CX-5. I took one off the CX-3 and snaped it in my rear seat.
The parts guy told me that they're not available as spare parts yet but they soon will.

I was at my Mazda dealer this morning and looked at a 2016 CX-3 just out of curiosity. The rear headrests look like the non-US CX-5 ones and they fit the CX-5. I took one off the CX-3 and snaped it in my rear seat.
The parts guy told me that they're not available as spare parts yet but they soon will.
This has been discussed earlier in the thread. You can also use Mazda3's. But with current much lower price we can get for these original JDM CX-5 headrests which are designed specifically for CX-5's rear seat, I wouldn't consider anything else. I've tried CX-3's and they look different with curve. And the headrest is extended too low touching your shoulders which makes you have to pull it up if you're seating in the rear. I can seat on the rear seat comfortably without pulling up the CX-5's JDM headrest!

This has been discussed earlier in the thread. You can also use Mazda3's. But with current much lower price we can get for these original JDM CX-5 headrests which are designed specifically for CX-5's rear seat, I wouldn't consider anything else. I've tried CX-3's and they look different with curve. And the headrest is extended too low touching your shoulders which makes you have to pull it up if you're seating in the rear. I can seat on the rear seat comfortably without pulling up the CX-5's JDM headrest!

Thanks, I should have read the whole thread. I just wanted to pass this information but based on what you said, the CX-3s are not the best solution. They're not available yet for purchase anyway.

I can't, and I'm only 5'9" with a 30" inseam. They barely extend high enough for me. I don't recommend them for anyone who must carry anyone taller than ~ 5'7" regularly. That said, I'm delighted with the appearance and the improved rear vision.

Thanks, I should have read the whole thread. I just wanted to pass this information but based on what you said, the CX-3s are not the best solution. They're not available yet for purchase anyway.
Well, nobody would want to read the whole 37 pages with 547 posts for this topic! I started early following this thread and was trying to find a better way getting these JDM headrests when I felt I really wanted them. Yeah, CX-3's headrests not only don't look right in the CX-5 IMO as they don't match the rear center seat headrest, but also is annoying if you don't pull it up while seating even if you're shorter as it interferes your shoulders.

I can't, and I'm only 5'9" with a 30" inseam. They barely extend high enough for me. I don't recommend them for anyone who must carry anyone taller than ~ 5'7" regularly. That said, I'm delighted with the appearance and the improved rear vision.
Yeah people need to be aware the maximum pulled-up height with JDM headrest will be about 2" lower than US-spec headrest. JDM headrest has two height positions whereas US-spec headrest has three. I'm 5'7" with a 32" inseam and I can seat comfortably and safely in the rear without pulling up the JDM headrest. But taller person does need to pull the JDM headrest up or even use your original US spec headrest for better protection

i ordered two headrests from Impex and they only sent me one (sad2)

waiting for them to respond on the website...

ok they replied saying they found my other headrest in the warehouse and will ship it out. phew!

Wow... I haven't been here for awhile... I just came back from Korea a few days ago. I guess it's great that there are more options out there now. ;)

I still have a couple set of headrests for '16 Touring in Black & a set for '13-15 GT in Sand... that's all I have left. I know you can get them cheaper now, but you'll still have to wait for a few weeks... therefore I'm letting them go for $180 shipped per set for '16 Touring in Black & $170 shipped for '13-15 GT in Sand. You'll get the headrests within 3 days or so (depending on your mailman I guess... LOL) after payment is sent. If anyone is interested, please PM me. ;)

I'll be traveling again (domestic this time) by end of next week, so let me know ASAP. Thanks.

P.S. Sorry, I'll only ship within USA.

When I have ordered mine from Impex, they had only one is stock. I had to wait(~10 days), until they have get the second one in. Then I have created a package and the shipping to CA, is $33.xx for both of them.
Initially, I have made the shipping for one headrest, thinking that they will ship out both of them. They have cancelled that order and they have messaged me(through there site), that I have to create a package for both of them.
It's a bit weird, how they do there shipping.

Ordered mine from JapanParts on June 9, they shipped June 15, I picked them up at the post office this morning. Black leather with red stitching and a perfect fit! So much better vision through the back with these on there. Thanks everyone for all the great information!!!

When I have ordered mine from Impex, they had only one is stock. I had to wait(~10 days), until they have get the second one in. Then I have created a package and the shipping to CA, is $33.xx for both of them.
Initially, I have made the shipping for one headrest, thinking that they will ship out both of them. They have cancelled that order and they have messaged me(through there site), that I have to create a package for both of them.
It's a bit weird, how they do there shipping.

They are not consistent at all about shipping. I've paid almost $60 combined for shipping 2 packages now (will go up to $70 if they come back and ask for another shipping increase like they did on the first package), so I definitely wish I went with Japanparts. I have one headrest, and am still waiting for the second. And in the end I saved nothing, just got a headache!

I did the same thing at first(tried shipping one piece) and they cancelled that order and told me, to create a package for both of them and then it became $39.xx.

Finally received my order from japanparts (black cloth). Took a solid two months from submitting the order.

@Fendyman,
I read all 38 pages and I don't believe I found anywhere if the '13-'15 JDM rear headrests will fit the 2016 CX-5. They have different part numbers so I fear that may not be the case. If they do fit, I am interested in the sand cloth.
MB

Last edited:
I also have a pair of black JDM headrests for sale and I'm in Canada. PM me for info!

Back