2nd Gen Mazda CX-5 Could Be Seen in 2016 LA Auto Show!?

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
This is not an April fool's joke! According to this news from Taiwan, the 2nd-gen Mazda CX-5 could be seen as early as in 2016 LA Auto Show and will be available at the Mazda dealers in February, 2017! I know in US we won't get it that early. But now I can plan to trade in our hail-damaged CX-5 and get a new generation CX-5 as soon as they're available!

Mazda乘勝追擊!2016年洛杉磯車展可望得見第二代CX-5

"Mazda is doing very well in recent years on car designs. Almost every new model coming out from Mazda is getting very good reviews. Their new MX-5 just received "2016 World Car of the Year" award in late March.

Most car enthusiasts have found out Mazda has switched their new vehicle development to SUV/CUVs which are getting more popular in the world. The new 2nd-gen mid-sized CX-9 CUV was announced in 2015 LA Auto Show last November. The new Chinese-market-only CX-4 CUV will be announced in upcoming Beijing Auto Show in April. With current CX-3 and CX-5, Mazda is moving into a good position to compete with others in CUV/SUV market.

CX-5 is the first CUV from Mazda using SkyActiv Technology. It's been 4 years since it's was coming out in February, 2012. CX-5 not only won the "Japan Car of the Year", JCOTY, award in 2012, but also was the number one seller in Japanese SUV market in 2012 and 2013. Although CX-5 has a facelift in 2015 to improve its competitiveness, but it's going to be tough with other competitors coming out many new CUV models. Mazda has been speeding up the design and development on 2nd-gen CX-5 and is planned to selling it as early as in February, 2017!

Based on the current successful designing experience, the 2nd-gen CX-5 should not receive too much changes. The 2nd-gen is still based on "Kodo" design concept. It has larger and more aggressive pentagram-shaped front grill with new headlights coordinated to it, and the front will look very different from CX-3 and 2nd-gen CX-9. For interior, Mazda is going to improve the material quality and add more features. Reducing the noise level is another emphasis to make the whole cabin having more high-quality feeling.

The chassis, engine, and transmission on the 2nd-gen CX-5 are all based on current SkyActiv Technilogy with minor tweaks. For example, SkyActiv-D 2.2L will add "Natural Sound Smoother" technology to reduce the diesel engine noise. The 2nd-gen CX-5 should also make new 250-hp SkyActiv-G 2.5L Turbo used in the 2nd-gen CX-9 available to satisfy those who want more power. It has 68 more hp's than the current SA-G 2.5L's 192 hp. Turbo-lag during low rpm found on current SA-G 2.5L Turbo should also get addressed and will be less obvious.
"

The 2nd-gen CX-5 should also make new 250-hp SkyActiv-G 2.5L Turbo used in the 2nd-gen CX-9 available to satisfy those who want more power. It has 68 more hp's than the current SA-G 2.5L's 192 hp. Turbo-lag during low rpm found on current SA-G 2.5L Turbo should also get addressed and will be less obvious."

Hey, looks like you CX-5 people pining for a turbo got your wish! I can already hear the MPG complaints from those who drive with heavy right foot followed by heavy braking. This option should be available right about when gas hits $4/gallon by my reckoning (assuming no major wars in which case it might be $6/gal).

I wonder how much the turbo version will add to the price.

Long time back Ferrari engineers were asked to come up with a great car. After XX months/years they produced one. The head honcho looked it over and said - what about the spoiler, it's exactly the same. The engineers responded, can't mess with perfection.

I'm kind of glad I bought mine this year before the news. I honestly don't think I would be able to resist not getting the turbo version if it was available. Part of the reason for my upgrade was to save on gas both by not having to use premium and get better mileage.

So the US CX5 version of the 2.5L turbo won't be available for sale here in the US until around March/April 2017?

Offering a turbo option is a great idea. US pop-culture likes bells and whistles, a turbo option is straight up good marketing and likely great sales strategy. I have no interest in a turbo motor at all, but certainly appreciate what a tubro CAN produce in terms of performance. Regradless, it is satisfying to see that Mazda has designed the 2.5L stout enough(?) for some boost. Maybe we can see 300,000 miles off an NA engine after all, eh?

Now if Mazda would just offer a 6spd MANUAL trans behind the 2.5L in a CX-5 AWD all would be right in the world, at least for a moment.

Offering a turbo option is a great idea. US pop-culture likes bells and whistles, a turbo option is straight up good marketing and likely great sales strategy. I have no interest in a turbo motor at all, but certainly appreciate what a tubro CAN produce in terms of performance. Regradless, it is satisfying to see that Mazda has designed the 2.5L stout enough(?) for some boost. Maybe we can see 300,000 miles off an NA engine after all, eh?

Now if Mazda would just offer a 6spd MANUAL trans behind the 2.5L in a CX-5 AWD all would be right in the world, at least for a moment.

You're assuming the 2.5T (which is actually already in the new CX-9) uses the same hardware as the 2.5NA. They almost certainly don't, for cost and weight reasons. They probably share a block, but not the rods/bearings/etc.

You're assuming the 2.5T (which is actually already in the new CX-9) uses the same hardware as the 2.5NA. They almost certainly don't, for cost and weight reasons. They probably share a block, but not the rods/bearings/etc.

Oh well...

Wrong. Mazda engineers stated that the 2.5NA parts are used in the 2.5 turbo.

So it shares the same block, rods, crank and cylinder heads. The compression is dropped so it uses different pistons.

The 2.5 NA engines already has a forged crank and forged rods. Mazda uses them in the new turbo engine.

It's a waste of money to create new forgings just for the turbo engine. Car manufacturers like to share parts within their lineup because it cuts costs and complexity.

Wrong. Mazda engineers stated that the 2.5NA parts are used in the 2.5 turbo.

So it shares the same block, rods, crank and cylinder heads. The compression is dropped so it uses different pistons.

The 2.5 NA engines already has a forged crank and forged rods. Mazda uses them in the new turbo engine.

It's a waste of money to create new forgings just for the turbo engine. Car manufacturers like to share parts within their lineup because it cuts costs and complexity.

Engines are large volume production even without sharing in situations like this because they're shared across all trimlines and easy to build in one place and ship to separate factories for vehicle assembly. The 2.5NA is already shared across multiple vehicles anyway. I find it very difficult to believe that Mazda's endless efforts to cut weight in their vehicles don't extend to engine hardware.

I think you're taking a very generic (uncited) marketing statement and assuming a lot of things that don't make sense. Even if "Mazda engineers stated that the 2.5NA parts are used in the 2.5 turbo," that could easily (and most logically) mean they share a block. Probably engine accessories as well.

Back