spacers for stock 19in wheels - sizes

Your wheel bearings are now seeing a very different load then they were designed for. The designer works hard to get the bearings close to the center of the tire (from side to side) Still OK? I don't know.

That would like double the amount of lug nuts I needed to remove/install every fall and spring! I like quick wheel changes like they do in F1 racing with one big central lug nut. Of course that's not practical for a daily driver due to the nearly 500 Ft/lbs required but do I want 10 lug nuts per wheel? I would pass on that!

Yeah, it would be more work, and 10 lugs per wheel is a bit to be doing but not that bad since I have an air system setup in the garage. My impact wrench makes quick work of taking them off and the lowest forward setting seems to put them on at about 80-90psi, I always go over them with a proper torque wrench. The air impact is just used for speed of putting them on.

Yeah, it would be more work, and 10 lugs per wheel is a bit to be doing but not that bad since I have an air system setup in the garage. My impact wrench makes quick work of taking them off and the lowest forward setting seems to put them on at about 80-90psi, I always go over them with a proper torque wrench. The air impact is just used for speed of putting them on.

I have an air impact driver for the lugs too and I follow up with a torque wrench. Doesn't change the fact that I don't want to do twice as many lug nuts each swap!

Quick and easy is good!

Your wheel bearings are now seeing a very different load then they were designed for. The designer works hard to get the bearings close to the center of the tire (from side to side) Still OK? I don't know.

True, but it's not really an OK/not OK situation. It's more a matter of gradually reducing longevity and gradually decreasing the amount of impact that will cause sudden failure.

Probably worse than that is doubling the amount of mating surfaces which doubles the chance that a bit of debris will get where it shouldn't and cause the hub to no longer be true. There is also the potential for machining tolerances to compound. There is also the added rotating mass of double the studs/nuts and that of the spacer itself. Yes, from a rotating mass perspective the effect is relatively small due to it's location somewhat close to the axle. However, it's also additional unstrung weight which will impact the ability of the wheels to maintain good contact with irregular road surfaces.

There are lots of reasons to dislike spacers, the least of which is the added expense, and very few reasons to like them. I consider them ghetto.

MikeM,you consider them "Ghetto"? Please do tell what brings you to that conclusion. Give a more viable option for widening the stance and yet maintaining the OEM wheels and I'll be all ears. I don't like the tucked in look of most factory wheels. We're talking less then half an inch for the 20mm spacers so it's not anything too crazy. My winter wheels are a 17x7 offset 35 so that's 15mm difference and I haven't seen or felt any ill effects from that. I understand not everyone agrees with every modification made to cars. Some people like dropped suspension some few it as a waste, some like window tint, others don't. I think every regular on this forum, MikeM, knows your stance on most performance mods, wheel changes, and engine preference. You are entitled to your opinion and I have no problems with your opinion but please be respectful of others opinions. I personally am not offended that you referred to wheel spacers as "ghetto", but others might take offense to that reference. You often come off as supercilious and it gets really old, really quick. Just like I'm sure your mother told you, if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. I'm not telling you not to post or state your opinion but maybe try to do so in a less grating and confrontational manner.

Ok, continue on with the discussion about wheel spacers....

Last edited:
I guess the non ghetto thing to do would be order new oem match wheels with a lower offset. Except they don't exist.

True, but it's not really an OK/not OK situation. It's more a matter of gradually reducing longevity and gradually decreasing the amount of impact that will cause sudden failure.

Probably worse than that is doubling the amount of mating surfaces which doubles the chance that a bit of debris will get where it shouldn't and cause the hub to no longer be true. There is also the potential for machining tolerances to compound. There is also the added rotating mass of double the studs/nuts and that of the spacer itself. Yes, from a rotating mass perspective the effect is relatively small due to it's location somewhat close to the axle. However, it's also additional unstrung weight which will impact the ability of the wheels to maintain good contact with irregular road surfaces.

There are lots of reasons to dislike spacers, the least of which is the added expense, and very few reasons to like them. I consider them ghetto.

You are correct, and your statement is more accurate. Only I knew what I meant by OK, so let me explain. I know the life of the bearings are shortened. I just don't know by how much. It could be 5% and that would be OK for me. It could be 50% and that would not be OK. Many modern vehicle bearings can only be replaced as part of a very expensive sub assembly. I do know that it is not linear with distance moved off center, it is much worse then linear. Also, and more important, I don't know if the spacers decrease the impact needed for a sudden failure to the point that I am likely to encounter in normal (spirited) driving, and driving on pot holed streets. The CX-5 is a wonderful car but I bet it is a bare to drive on three wheels.

I personally am not offended that you referred to wheel spacers as "ghetto", but others might take offense to that reference.

Some people are easily offended. If so, they can go fly a kite. I have just as much right to my opinion as they have to theirs. If such a small thing is offensive you're going to have trouble getting along in the real world. I'm not here to babysit peoples insecurities.

I have what I hope are high quality H&R spacers - 20mm rear, 18mm front. I like them. I felt the stock offset looked awful.

I'll keep them properly torqued and I'll inspect them closely at my seasonal wheel changes. If there's any reduced durability of the wheel bearings, which would be hard to prove, it's worth the potential repair cost to me.

I'm not offended; it's just a car. ;-)

Last edited:
I have what I hope are high quality H&R spacers - 20mm rear, 18mm front. I like them. I'll keep them properly torqued and I'll inspect them closely at my seasonal wheel changes. I'm not offended. ;-)
(thumb)

@Mondo

Looking for an update on how your spacers are doing after a while and if you have any regrets.

Also do they alter any sensors at all ? TPMS ?

Thanks!

No regrets at all. Looks even better with the H&R springs installed. I've been putting spacers on cars/trucks for over 20 years, never had a problem. I don't go crazy and haven't done anything over about an inch.

No regrets at all. Looks even better with the H&R springs installed. I've been putting spacers on cars/trucks for over 20 years, never had a problem. I don't go crazy and haven't done anything over about an inch.

Just got my h&r springs put on Monday; love them!

Did you take your spacers off for winter ?

I have 17" wheels for winter, would i have to remove the spacers for winter ?

Thanks!

Just got my h&r springs put on Monday; love them!

Did you take your spacers off for winter ?

I have 17" wheels for winter, would i have to remove the spacers for winter ?

Thanks!

It all depends on what the offset is for the winter rims that you have. If your winter rims have a higher offset (lower number) then stock they will be pushed out even further.

I don't have winter/summer clothes in my closet... so I can't imagine having to change tires, hook up engine warmers or any of that stuff;)

Quebec in the last 48hrs;
5cm of snow
9 degrees
Btw 35mm-50mm of rain
Tmr, 0 and sunny
Fml! -_-'

FYI

V-Projects spacers are back on sale on eBay and Amazon!

I just snatched a set :)

Only 80$ US !

There is actually a kit on ebay that includes 2 20mm and 2 25mm spacers for those that want that. I bought some different ones from another member on here but they are silver. What are your guys thoughts and painting them black? Should I just paint the outside edge and leave the mating surfaces alone or do you think it would be ok to paint the whole top side and edges? with the dark wheels of the 2016 I don't want a silver band behind the wheel. I should have waited for the V-projects to go back on sale. Oh well, live and learn.

There is actually a kit on ebay that includes 2 20mm and 2 25mm spacers for those that want that. I bought some different ones from another member on here but they are silver. What are your guys thoughts and painting them black? Should I just paint the outside edge and leave the mating surfaces alone or do you think it would be ok to paint the whole top side and edges? with the dark wheels of the 2016 I don't want a silver band behind the wheel. I should have waited for the V-projects to go back on sale. Oh well, live and learn.

Post #11 and 14 shows I did what you asked. I would not recommend any paint on the mating surfaces. It only took about 30 minutes of prep and paint. Still no issues as of today, so I wouldn't worry about your purchase.
570e83cce617a48662cc1c666fa12ae3.jpg
57d8a26a697a4bb7db49ed4a229813a8.jpg
04163346661e3f274b45f40b02f5be10.jpg

Last edited:
What did you use to paint them? Just rattle can Caliper or high heat paint? I've got a few cans of Engine enamel laying around that I was thinking of using. and did you prime before hand or just use the paint?

Back