Mazda CX-4 / 6 possibly?

Why? What segment does the CX-3 serve, then? That would be a total of 4 hatchback/crossovers (3 Hatch, CX-3, CX-4, CX-4) and 1 full size SUV (CX-9) in their fleet. Seems to scratch an itch that isn't there? Bring back the pick-up! :)

It looks nice enough, though.

The concept is 181 inches long and only a couple of inches taller than a typical sedan--similar to an Outback--so CX-6 or 7 makes more sense than CX-4. Can't find the link but I believe it was the Mazda CEO that said it was going to be a real "drivers" vehicle geared towards performance so perhaps it will have the 2.5 turbo engine.

Waiting patiently before I buy a CX-5.

Found the info----

From Car and Driver:

"The identical wheelbase is because Mazda used the CX-5 platform to create the concept.
However, the wheelbase is the only commonality. Although similar in size, the Koeru concept is longer (181.1 inches versus 178.7 for the CX-5), considerably wider (74.8 inches versus 72.4), and dramatically lower (the roof peaks at 59.1 inches versus 65.7). Mazda describes the concept as a crossover, but it’s not much taller than some large sedans."

"Mazda CEO Masamichi Kogai tells Automotive News that he sees a production Koeru as “a totally new car. It’s a lower, sporty SUV. It’s close to a wagon.” He added that it would provide “more driving pleasure” than the company’s other crossovers, which already generate plenty of driving pleasure."

Last edited:
There aren't a lot of good scale references in that photo - looks kind of like a cx-3 and the original popsuv link no longer works. I'm a little surprised jalopnik would run this.

CX4i.jpg

546fc10497e69_-_034mazdacx-3-lg.jpg

Ok, I will stand corrected. Gas cap area different.

I think its wild that Mazda is selling these all these very slightly different models. Their manufacturing methods must be incredibly efficient to pull this off.

Why? What segment does the CX-3 serve, then? That would be a total of 4 hatchback/crossovers (3 Hatch, CX-3, CX-4, CX-4) and 1 full size SUV (CX-9) in their fleet. Seems to scratch an itch that isn't there? Bring back the pick-up! :)

It looks nice enough, though.

I think its wild that Mazda is selling these all these very slightly different models. Their manufacturing methods must be incredibly efficient to pull this off.

You mean like all those BMW X series vehicles? I still don't know how they keep track of all of them.

meanwhile the 2017 mirage is being refreshed and +5 hp, no north America mazda 2.. AWD turbo fusion coming out, no AWD mz3 in north America (or 2.5T announce).. cx4/6 fills what? focus RS.. no speed 3

The CUV market is predicted to rise 5% in 2016 and exponentially more after. It's just a strategic move by Mazda and practically every other manufacturer.

Hmm, I can see the gas cap clearly on the silver vehicle, but don't see one in the same location on the red one. (uhm)

Good eye! Could be a concept mockup or photoshopped out. The top picture has added lighting by someone who knows what they're doing.

Back