Rdrcr's Mazda2 Review and Build Thread

^^^^
No argument here. I'm definitely not happy about the laws here; our ridiculous automotive laws are just the beginning...

Mike

It makes a pretty big difference in sound, the engine sounds a lot more aggressive and throaty when you lay into the throttle. You also get "whoosh" sounds when you blip the rpms up. As for power, I do think it improved things a little bit, but it's not a drastic change. Every little mod helps, though, since a couple horsepower here and there add up quick.

Here's a video I made a while back with the newly installed SRI.

I can't speak from experience, but it seems like a few people have had some pretty good results from the CS SRI, a modded exhaust, and a tune from Dynotronics. I guess the tune helps unlock even more hp from the mods.

Yeah, I have the duct too and I installed it at the same time as the SRI. I wish I had some numbers to compare with and without it, but based on my datalogs it seems to do a pretty good job of cooling down a heat soaked engine bay once you start getting moving.

Mandatory cats and low cap mags but damn good driving roads.

Yep, I too love the roads.

Hey how much louder did the CS SRI and duct make your sound? And did you feel any noticeable power gains or just more noise?

Im wanting to buy a sri but theyre a little pricey..

I'll stopping by and buying mine next month in person when I visit Washington State.

I wish I had some numbers to compare with and without it, but based on my datalogs it seems to do a pretty good job of cooling down a heat soaked engine bay once you start getting moving.

If you guys can keep my feet to the fire, I'll do some back-to-back dyno runs of stock vs. CS SRI. I always enjoy testing my power upgrades.

Mike

CX-7 Antenna Mast.

The factory Mazda2 radio antenna is ugly, long, wiry, and clearly out of place. Well, thats what I thought after I read through some Mazda2 build threads where owners had swapped-out the cheap crappy hideous looking OEM antenna rod for a short, sleek, and stubby antenna mast. Once I became thoroughly educated on the subject, I realized the replacement of the stock rod was absolutely necessary and a truly brilliant modification.

I feasted my eyes upon several antenna options available from multiple vendors with wide-ranging prices but, the antenna mast that caught my attention was the factory 2007-2012 Mazda CX-7 antenna mast (Part #EG23-66-A30). I figured $30 for an honest fitting factory part was the way to go.

Yeah, it might not be as cool as some of the other options available, but, it looks fine to me and represents a solid improvement in appearance over the stock antenna rod. Too bad Mazda just didnt install the CX-7 antenna mast on the 2 from the factory. It would have saved me the time to write this review. LOL!

Mike

Is the radio reception just as good?

I might get one just to make snow removal easier.

I've got an even shorter antenna and I don't have too much issue with getting reception. I live somewhat close to the city where the broadcast towers are, though, and there probably is somewhat of a reduction in reception that will be more evident the further you are from the towers.

Incidentally, I did get the CX-7 antenna at one point, but I ended up going with something else (for looks). If anyone is interested in a lightly used one I could sell it for something like $20 shipped.

Voodoo Shift Knob.

The shift knob is important. The knob itself is what connects the driver to the shift lever, linkage, and ultimately, the transmission. The knob itself, must feel right. Familiar. It needs to function, inspire confidence, and be comfortable. There is no argument here; the shift knob is important!

For me, nothing beats a perfectly round shift knob. A simple round ball with a threaded hole, so I can screw it onto the gear shift lever. I dont need anything fancy. I dont need any printed, or engraved logos. No special script. No magical designs. Not even an engraved shift pattern (I know where the gears arecome on!). Just a knob. A simple, comfortable, perfectly round knob.

I went with the Voodoo shift knob. It fulfills my requirements. I purchased mine in the gloss black finish to match the 2's glossy center dash trim. It looks good. But, most important it feels good and it is extremely familiar, and comfortable to use.

For under $50, you cant beat the Voodoo shift knob. It is a no-brainer. I highly recommend it!

Mike

The Cork Sport Short Ram Intake.

Modifying cars is in my blood. This bizarre addiction was handed down from father to son. I’ve modified all of my cars for one reason or another. So keeping with tradition I bought the Cork Sport Short Ram Intake with additional cooling duct for the 2. I figured it will be satisfying to pick up a horsepower or two, alter the engine sound, and perhaps, just maybe, increase the MPG.

The Cork Sport Short Ram Intake consists of a simple performance air filter, a beautifully CNC machined MAF housing, silicone sleeve, and vacuum hoses. In addition to the CS Short Ram Intake, I chose to purchase the additional Cork Sport Cooling Duct.

The CS Cooling Duct is important because the Short Ram Intake can only pull air from inside the engine compartment and the under-hood air temperatures are typically very very warm. As we all know warm air reduces power and cool air makes power. The CS Cooling Duct works by feeding air directly to the air filter from the front grille location which helps to maintain the lowest possible intake air temperatures. The Cooling Duct is really a must have item when considering a Short Ram Intake.

The CS Short Ram Intake installation is straightforward, pretty easy, and can be done with simple hand tools. Taking my time the install took about an hour. I started by removing the factory intake air inlet pipe and air filter. I followed these steps by removing the vacuum lines, AIT sensor, and elbow. Sadly, the ugly factory air box has to remain in place atop of the engine since it connects directly to the ECU which is also strangely mounted to the engine. The CS components fit without any problems and really look good. However, I didn’t like the supplied vacuum hoses. I prefer a more factory appearance so I ended up reusing two of the OEM hoses and utilizing a third hose from my own collection.

Well, I’m not sure about the horsepower since my butt-dyno can’t feel any improvements but, the CS Short Ram Intake really sounds the business. It truly sounds amazing. The new aggressive growl makes me smile and causes surrounding motorist’s to posture with displeasure. I love it! The package is definitely worth the price of admission. However, the most shocking revelation caused by the CS Intake was the MPG improvement.

In over 5,000 miles with the CS Intake installed it has drastically improved my MPG. I’m now averaging 40 MPG mixed urban/highway compared to 33 MPG before. I’m recording 36 MPG traveling at a constant 70+ MPH on the highway when only 29 MPG was possible with the factory intake. I have even managed to record a best of 42 MPG combined and a total range of 380 miles. My last tank was 41 MPG mixed urban/highway. Very impressive.

I don’t know what the magic is. I really don’t.
Or, do I?

It doesn’t take a genius to surmise that the factory Mazda2 intake isn’t the most efficient setup possible. I mean, look at it! Air travels through the front inlet into flat pancaked intake piping with several 90 degree bends which then lead to the shocking engine-cooking heat-absorbing air box that actually sits inside an oven - I mean literally on top of the engine. And, it only gets better. The scorching air then passes through the ECU and a couple more 90 degree turns before entering the throttle body. A journey through hell, apparently!?! Hey, at least the Mazda engineers were creative!

Conversely, the CS Short Ram intake attaches directly to the throttle body by way of a CNC machined MAF housing, silicone sleeve, and a proper performance air filter bypassing all the ridiculous factory plumbing. It is by definition a short ram intake. As mentioned previously, the optional CS Cooling Duct insures that the CS Short Ram intake consumes the coolest air possible and attaches smartly to the factory inlet location. Which then leads to a simple fact; unquestionably the CS intake is better designed and more efficient than the factory box. And considering the design differences it should come as no surprise that the CS intake has the ability to improve power, increase MPG, and enhance the sound. However, the surprise has been how much the CS intake improved my MPG.

In conclusion the CS Intake has performed exceptionally well for me and my driving style. I’m really happy with the aggressive sound, but I’m especially happy with the MPG improvement. The CS Short Ram Intake with additional Cooling Duct definitely earned my seal of approval.

Mike

Last edited:
Random question, does the cold air duct completely seal in the pod filter or is it like a half sheild type of thing?

Random question, does the cold air duct completely seal in the pod filter or is it like a half sheild type of thing?

From the pictures I've seen it just channels the air directly to the filter. The backside of the filter is open.

^^^^
Indeed!

The CS duct directs air to the filter. The back is open.
It would be great if it was a sealed enclosure however, it would require a significant amount of work and would likely require a battery relocation.

Mike

Back